Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » so is allegro like officially dead?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
so is allegro like officially dead?
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

because the mailing list doesn't seem to post or answer questions. I feel really bad not being able to help Andrew Gillett who is releasing a real game this week/month.

-----sig:
β€œPrograms should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

[AD] is still active. At least every few days / week there are issues that get discussed.

{"name":"55d9b-miracle2bmax.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/6\/169f063f8d2c1116492d3895d0b618ca.jpg","w":803,"h":456,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/6\/169f063f8d2c1116492d3895d0b618ca"}55d9b-miracle2bmax.jpg

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

GitHub repository is still receiving commits and pull-requests are discussed, so I think it is not dead-dead.

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

It's normal, it doesn't mean he's dead. For example, I always consult the Allegro guide, but I have not asked questions for years.

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Tell me more about this game of Andrew Gillett? What is it called? Where is it announced?

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

@amarillion :
wrong thread. :P

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

We're pretty short-staffed, it's essentially just me and Elias, and recently Peter Hull has been making great contributions too. The slow rate of development is merely a reflection of that fact.

We don't really use AD for any official planning, that's all mostly on IRC or GitHub.

As for helping users, sadly it's the same manpower problem... if the problem is difficult, like Andrew Gillett is having, latency is expected.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Doctor Cop
Member #16,833
April 2018

I could help, but compiling allegro is the problem.
I remember the last time I wanted to contribute by fixing unicode issue, but couldn't for same reason.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

What OS/compiler do you use, Doctor Cop? When we switched wikis we lost a bit of the tutorials for compiling Allegro... easy enough to rewrite them. The only mildly tricky one is MSVC since it has a bit of dependency installation annoyance, but it's far from impossible.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Doctor Cop
Member #16,833
April 2018

I use Windows 7 and MinGw dwarf 64bit.

Rodolfo Lam
Member #16,045
August 2015

For MSVC I’ve been on and off for about 3 years playing with CMake to try to make a friendly FindAllegro.cmake. But every single period I get my hands wet on this life happens and I loose interest... Last time I tried the VCPKG option seemed the most promising. But still the final part is the FindAllegro module to make it easy as cake.

My main issue this time around was trying to setup flags correctly to support both Static and Dynamic dlls, and selection of either debug or release builds. My CMake-fu doesn’t reach that level yet though...

ryonagana
Member #6,623
November 2005

Build A5 on windows is a pain the ass..
i use EdgarReynaldo's dependencies

it's easy breezy build on linux

c++

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Ah, nice to hear someone uses them.

You can pick up copies of 526x and the deps and Eagle on my Eagle 0.8 release page.

Allegro is a bit like a sloth these days - slow, but not lazy, alive, and not dead. If you want to accelerate the timetable by contributing patches and Pull Requests, they are welcome.

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

If you want to accelerate the timetable by contributing patches and Pull Requests, they are welcome.

Even better, make something that uses Allegro!

I agree with Chris; it would be very good to help AG to get his game 'over the line' but he's not an easy one to help, as his issue seems to be with joysticks and is difficult to fix without the actual hardware.

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

Why would anyone want to compile things on Windows?... Windows is still used?...

I find the system brutally obsolete and mutilated. Worse than an abandoned public bathroom, all covered in graffiti and years without cleaning.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

If I can find 5 joysticks I'll put them together from some additional data. But you can only run 4 on a Xbox360 radioset. Then I'll have to find some sort of USB joystick or something.

ryonagana said:

Build A5 on windows is a pain the ..

I thought everyone just used the NuGet package. But is that MSVC only? Then again, if on Windows... just use MSVC. It's fat but it works and has one of the best integrated debuggers on the planet.

Apparently you can use NuGet without MSVC but again, would it still only compile with MSVC compiler?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38461090/how-to-install-nuget-package-without-visual-studio

-----sig:
β€œPrograms should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

Quote:

Build A5 on windows is a pain in the ass

I started having problems few time after MinGW dropped Windows XP as target. I wasn't able to install it in Windows 7 so it's impossible to compile it by myself. Since then I use a pre-compiled version from a link at liballeg (I don't know if they're Reynaldo's or others). Also I only use 32bit version because I can't find some of the 3rd party DLLs for 64bit (actually I've found them but they're from places suspicious of malware and I'll not take the risk).

Just to let you know.

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Go to: