Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » I am getting ready for the release of Eagle 0pt8, here be CHM

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
I am getting ready for the release of Eagle 0pt8, here be CHM
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

You should consider a more portable and friendly file format. When I try to open it Windows warns me that it's an executable file, and because I downloaded it from the Internet it requires me to unblock it to run it. That's way too much trouble for documentation IMO. :P

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

It opens OK in KChmViewer

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

virushax.chm

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Allegro.cc's upload mechanism probably uploaded it as a binary stream. It shouldn't be executable at all.

I've tried uploading it multiple places. Bitbucket fails to show me a captcha then says I failed to solve it. allegro.cc upload fails the download test.

Honestly the file works on my machine. I even used FileZilla to upload it. Let me try one more time.

I want to use CHM because that way it's all contained in one file instead of hundreds if not a thousand.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

All files are just binary streams. What matters is what the system does with them when you "open" them. Which depends on the operating system, configuration, and software packages installed.

I don't know where the basis comes from that they're dangerous, but it's Microsoft Windows claiming that they are so either way not good for the Microsoft brand: either their documentation files are a delivery system for malicious software or Microsoft doesn't even understand its own technology.

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

Pack it in a ZIP file (or bz2, 7z, tar.gz...). That should do the trick with the "executable" thing in uploading.

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

CHM basically is a zip-like (I haven't examined a CHM file to see if it is a zip file or not) tech for displaying web pages, in the IE engine.

I think because they are basically HTML files, someone found a way to use Javascript and made the simple concept of a documentation file into a delivery system for malicious software. Remember, bad actors found a way to make Word files into virii.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

who is this hacker known as 4chan?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Doctor Cop
Member #16,833
April 2018

Hi Edgar, I was hoping that you would make binaries available somewhere. I need to use a GUI library now, because making GUI functionality from scratch is taking time and I really need a GUI framework/library that works well with Allegro 5.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Does Eagle do slider bars like the old A4 GUI used to?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Go to: