Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » New Updates to Apple UI; New Google App Icons

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
New Updates to Apple UI; New Google App Icons
Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Over the past couple weeks, a lot of tech companies have been pushing updates to their products. Probably a lot of them are shipping year-end projects and teams want to get noticed during their year-end performance review.

Change is usually frustrating for a lot of people and I can understand why, so I'm just going to complain here a bit because Reddit throttled me for responding in two different comment threads within the same post.

{"name":"612673","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/4\/54f8c590ec480e2720f136eec1527462.jpg","w":960,"h":960,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/4\/54f8c590ec480e2720f136eec1527462"}612673

Aesthetically, this meme is a good metaphor for the swath of updates that were pushed to many users in the past couple weeks. Apple even dorked up their UI with more UI noise and continued to try to push Siri harder than they have before.

For example, this time around, there was a non-skipable setup for Siri. It turned on my microphone without my consent, and then instructed me to "say 'Hello, Siri'". There was no out. I had to shutdown the program and disable Siri again for the 3rd time from Settings.

Practices like this are not a good sign and are, in my view, borderline violations and intrusions into user's personal technological choices and workflows.

I believe technology is more of a private domain than companies realize. Practices like this are akin to someone coming in your house and moving around some furniture because they think it's "better". The end result is you don't know wtf happened to all your crap and you're left disoriented.

They say there's an increase in deaths by car accidents when daylight savings starts just because of the disorientation it causes in people. I wonder what an analogous affect is of changing everyone's UI in this way. I know my father easily lost the ability to use a windows computer (to play a game he likes) when the screen font size was scaled up. It changed the position of the icons and changed the arrangement of the start menu items because they naturally repositioned themselves due to the new constraints of the space and layout. It was enough to send him into a state of confusion and mild panic.

I also believe in this way that technology is abelist, and is exploitative of the fallacies of human attention and ability. People who can autistically traverse the increasing labyrinth of pushed content that pollute our UIs exhibit behavior that is less neurotypical. These users are able to make better use of the technology, while others get caught in the bramble that's continually being placed between them and their intentions.

It is also placing uninvited demands on our time, as we re-engage with our recently changed device (because we have to, we have to use it to communicate with friends, manage our tasks, etc.) our time is allocated by the company to reacclimate to use their product. I'm also not comfortable with a company deciding that my time will be used in that way. I imagine a scenario where an emergency is occurring and the user is pushed into a new product onboarding flow, or a series of new setup requirements when trying to accomplish a goal.

I think eventually, over time, it will have to come down to products that allow users to manage their own UI. Either the company has control of your device (and can change whatever they want with their own interests in mind), or a device belongs to the user and they are in charge of arranging their UI for their own interests (as horrifying as that sounds). Right now, there are no tools that really enable the latter.

I'm a big fan of direct access product APIs, like Youtube API, Reddit API, and the like. In some ways, I've used them to Build My Own Damn Shit™️ into consolidated UIs so I can simply avoid a product's natural front door while still engaging with the product in an unintrusive way on my own terms.

Fundamentally, when I reach for my device, I reach with an intention to accomplish a specific task. What the device gives me however, is an onslaught of menus, notifications, and the plurality of possibilities that must be discarded and swiped through in order to simply arrive at the tool I need to accomplish the task.

So, thanks for reading my post. Like and subscribe, share this post with a friend, this post was sponsored by RAID: Shadow Legends, be sure to give me a thumbs up, and don't forget to assault me with mis-interpreted racist deconstructions of my words in the comment section below! Go!

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Somehow I didn't notice the change with maps... Of all the icons to change, that's the one I don't notice? ??? Maybe that's how little I looked at that icon. The camera icon doesn't matter because I use the double click on the power to bring it up anyway.

The more I see of the new Gmail logo, the more I'm annoyed with it. They basically took the M from the old one and added the Google colors instead of red. The shape of the M doesn't really look right without the envelope.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

If things never changed we'd still have this:

{"name":"463108_preview.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/6\/46ec49515be93676bf320607d2d6cb4b.png","w":600,"h":223,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/6\/46ec49515be93676bf320607d2d6cb4b"}463108_preview.png

Better, worse, equivalent?

It's change that people hate. Doesn't matter if it's better or not. There comes a time when people want to stop learning about things that they don't care about. (e.g., how their phone works, which seat to sit in, which party to vote for, etc.)

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I tried to stop learning when some crackpot ran naked through the streets of Syracuse shouting "Eureka!". If knowledge has to be announced in such an outrageous fashion, it's not worth knowing. And the trash the schools are trying to force down our throats, gravity, evolution, the D language, etc. More problems than they are worth.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

If things never changed we'd still have...

THIS

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

{"name":"google-telegram.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/7\/77655d91a95f9320676ec8e3054b19ff.jpg","w":1920,"h":1200,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/7\/77655d91a95f9320676ec8e3054b19ff"}google-telegram.jpg

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

I'm with Mark.

I think some of you are confusing evolution and knowledge with usability. Of course things change, and we know more as times goes by but the new Google icons and the new Windows 10 init menu suck as fuck(1). That's why I love XFCE. :P

(1) Ok, maybe not all Google icons (agree with MiquelFire) and not all the ideas of the new Windows menu are absolutely bad, but mostly are.

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected and prune practices that ought to be prohibited.[1]"

I'm with Edgar.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Go to: