Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Wanna send your name to Mars?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Wanna send your name to Mars?
Kevin Adrian
Member #7,087
April 2006

My mouth will speak words of wisdom; the utterance from my heart will give understanding. (Psalm 49:3)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I wonder if we could send Wikipedia articles to Mars in tiny fragments. :-/ Then I wonder what the consequences of that might be. A wild prime-directive Picard appears. :o

I'm not sure what value there could possibly be in sending my name to Mars. My name isn't even necessarily unique. I think a participation trophy is the most you can hope for. Then again, prime-directive alert, maybe somebody's name (in whatever form it is delivered) will somehow inspire an unnatural leap in social or technological advancement that leads to humanity's enslavement by a more powerful and less civilized race in some distant future (or some other unforeseen consequence).

{"name":"612604","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/e\/7ed580540c97d18edc76f6b677528a29.png","w":1400,"h":573,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/e\/7ed580540c97d18edc76f6b677528a29"}612604

What have I done?! :o:o:o

Append:

What if this is really a colonization recruitment effort in clever disguise. Maybe scientists have secretly discovered some short term limit to our civilization unless we can solve big problems fast, and one of the ways they have conceived of solving it is sending slave labor to Mars for colonization and then probably mining and production of some magical element. :o

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

bamccaig said:

Then again, prime-directive alert, maybe somebody's name (in whatever form it is delivered) will somehow inspire an unnatural leap in social or technological advancement that leads to humanity's enslavement by a more powerful and less civilized race in some distant future (or some other unforeseen consequence).

Maybe one of the atoms in my kettle is quantumly entangled with an Ur-Quan sensor beacon and when I make a coffee in the morning it's going to trigger an alien invasion.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

bamccaig said:

Maybe scientists have secretly discovered some short term limit to our civilization unless we can solve big problems fast

Well, that's not a discovery, that's just a given.

But in this case, are you imagining some sort of Argent energy situation on Mars?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'm imagining that climate change is just the tip of the iceberg, and in reality what governments aren't telling us is that our days are already known to be irreversibly numbered (e.g., imminent collapse of habitable climate by 2050 or something, proven by science, accepted by world leaders, kept secret from the public for control).

In other words, imagine if humanity already knows definitively that we must find a new habitat and fast. Knowing what we do about human history would our "leaders", dictators, governments, etc., openly alert the public, or would they secretly conspire to solve the problem their way at our expense? For example, by tricking us into signing up for a draft of slave colonization duty. :P

They'll ease us into it. At first it's just a casual and fun (and inexpensive) gimmick involving the notion of delivering our names to a new planet under the guise of space exploration and discovery. Once they have their initial unsuspecting "volunteers" they'll tell us it's a necessary sacrifice to make. As usual, the sacrifices will mostly come from the intersection of men and the poor, propped up by others who foolishly volunteer and eventually supplemented by the middle class as the lower classes dwindle.

While this is pretty crazy conspiracy talk, the more I research the history of capitalism and the events that have been occurring the more concerned that I am that we're on a runaway train by design. The train operators have an ejection seat. It's only really you and I that will be hurt when the inevitable happens. In the meantime, the train operators are hoarding resources to ensure their families continue to be afforded the best opportunities in whatever comes next. And the rest of us be quite literally damned.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Well, as long as we're imagining things, this would make a cool premise for a video game :)

Though, my experience in research tells me that 1) Scientific consensus is only reached after a long period of public debate in scientific journals, conferences and university halls 2) Even when there is a clear consensus, there is no guarantee politicians will listen to it or even understand it. 3) It's therefore extremely unlikely that any important scientific idea can be kept hidden by a small group of leaders.

Go to: