Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » GIMP issues

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
GIMP issues
DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

My current pixel/paint editor has been quarantined by my virus protector software. I've been using the same one for 15+ years and thought I'd try Gimp.

Why is Gimp so difficult to use? How do you draw a simple pixel? Look up some tutorials and most are for older version which some features are not in the current Gimp.

Where is the pencil tool that the tutorials are talking about? It's not there. There is a brush tool. I can set it to 1 pixel size, but it won't draw a pixel. It sort of blends the current pixel with the chosen color. I have no idea how to fix it.

:)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

GIMP is a PITA written by idiots on par with VLC.

But it's nifty in certain scenarios when you get used to the stupidty.

Photoshop has a lot of stupidity too.

If you like Allegro, you can support ASEsprite:

https://www.aseprite.org/

But it's more adapted for pixel art than general image work.

When it comes to image work, video work, damn near anything, I've never met a tool that wasn't full of counter-intuitive stupidity. Kdenlive had some nice video editing workflow--too bad it's a bug-ridden piece of trash that can't make a video without corrupting the save file.

MSPaint is actually good until you need features it doesn't have. It also has a bug that's over 10-15 years old that Microsoft has never fixed. (Try to adjust the canvas size while zoomed in. It'll eat more or less than you specify due to a math error.) Microsoft is such hilarious crap.

-----sig:
β€œPrograms should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Kevin Adrian
Member #7,087
April 2006

I use Gimp quite often on Linux and I never had these problems described here. In my current installation there is a pen left from the brush in the tool palette. I just need to set the pixel size to 1 because it is set to 20 by default.

But as I must confess, I do not know the Windows version of Gimp.

My mouth will speak words of wisdom; the utterance from my heart will give understanding. (Psalm 49:3)

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

I agree. GIMP still sucks.

At least for pixel art, I found Aseprite is totally worth the license fee.

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

Hey! How can they say that Gimp sucks??? Gimp is free software!! And has helped me create sprites, graphics, and other bitmap tweaks, how can they be so surly about these programs?? >:(

But yes, it sucks, I also hate gimp, it only gives me a headache and a hand pain, especially with pixart, it does not have fluid movement to paint, it is by far the worst graphic design program I have seen, more with the latest versions they come with horrible bugs. I hate it. :(

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

DanielH said:

Where is the pencil tool that the tutorials are talking about?

But I agree, gimp is not good for this. It's fiddly to set the pencil tool to draw 1 pixel non-antialiased lines and it is more fiddly to get the eraser to remove them.
Also if editing files that aren't XCFs you have to export, not save, and it always nags that you're discarding changes. >:(

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

I feel dumb. Assumed the toolbar was constant. Didn't know you have to add the pencil tool.

Don't know why I didn't see the "Tools" menu item before. I spent a good 30 minutes trying to get that brush to work and gave up.

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

@Peter Hull
you forget that the pen does not work at more than 800% Zoom.

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

{"name":"406320a56f3dc9d8dfa0bbb13b8b9f27.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/7\/478ac3d767f636f7ec6c192373afa389.jpg","w":736,"h":511,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/7\/478ac3d767f636f7ec6c192373afa389"}406320a56f3dc9d8dfa0bbb13b8b9f27.jpg

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

I've used GIMP to create font glyphs. It's not ideal as a sprite editor but it works and the price is right.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

In newer Gimps they changed the tools menu - there is just a brush icon by default, no pencil. You have to long-click the brush and then it will pop up a menu where you can select the pencil again. I assume that's why you did not find it. Peter Hull just is on a very old Gimp still :P

{"name":"612493","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/e\/6ef5380b0c4e6b0909dacc99550491a1.png","w":694,"h":547,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/e\/6ef5380b0c4e6b0909dacc99550491a1"}612493

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Elias said:

Peter Hull just is on a very old Gimp still

2.10.8 - is that very old?
[edit] OK I see they enabled that feature by default in 2.10.18

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Cock and ball torture shouldn't be a UI design philosophy.

-----sig:
β€œPrograms should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Go to: