Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Microsoft releases source code to GW-BASIC

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Microsoft releases source code to GW-BASIC
Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

https://github.com/microsoft/GW-BASIC

It seems like about 10 years ago somebody had a thread where MS had released source code to MS-DOS, but I can't seem to find it now.

I suppose if they'd released this last year somebody could have used it to make something better than MS apps, but now they think it's safe

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Trying to read through this much assembly hurts my head. :P I don't know how they used to do it (albeit, this took months to accomplish, and is outside my wheelhouse).

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

Are you by any chance Klys in the chat?
i reminded GW-BASIC created by another company

@bamccaig , usage is similar to C64 BASIC, I think I remember that the way the code is stored in memory and executed is also the same.

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Where can I get 5 1/4 floppy drives these days...???

Ebay

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Can I get a USB adapter for a 5 1/4 drive? I doubt they even made such a thing.

I've only ever seen them for 3.5" drives.

Johan HalmΓ©n
Member #1,550
September 2001

I have this in the attic:

{"name":"bondwell162.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/4\/e420c95cefa7574495733adc8bf3e024.jpg","w":508,"h":436,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/4\/e420c95cefa7574495733adc8bf3e024"}bondwell162.jpg

I haven't tried it in 20 years. I toasted some components because of a non standard serial cable. I blew the great 8 bit sound system, which was sad, because it had a funny speech synthesizer.

I think it had some MBASIC interpreter. But most of all it had a great assembler for Z80, which was very cool.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

GW-BASIC was one of the first languages I ever programmed in.

Strangely enough, one of the first things I tried to do was create a game loop.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlare β€’ AllegroFlare Docs β€’ AllegroFlare GitHub

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Awesome, this was iconic software

Go to: