Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » New Unreal Engine 5 (2021) video released

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
New Unreal Engine 5 (2021) video released
Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

video

Impressive asset optimization, dynamic lighting!

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Yeah, pretty!

Too bad you need an AAA studio worth of animator + 3d modeler slaves to do anything with those capabilities...

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

This sounds really impressive, but honestly it doesn't look special to the user. It looks like games they've made before honestly. The promise is that maybe, just maybe, they can make awesome games that much faster. We'll have to see if that's the case or not.

Something tells me that there are still limitations that they're not bragging about though, and that may mean that studios that always push the limits, like Rockstar, won't be able to benefit from this anyway.

A colleague posted this in company chat yesterday, and said he was thinking about getting a PS5, but now he's definitely getting one! I'll probably get one, but not until it has been out for a few years... I only just got a PS4 2 Christmases ago, and I still only have 2 games for it so far...

That will likely become 3 when I can find a physical copy of FFVII remake. That said, I've only even played 1/2 of of the 2 games I have so far. :P RDR2 is taking me a long time to finish as a 32+ year old. I can't imagine how long FFVII remake will take me to complete (I might need cheats to skip any grinding to finish it at all). :D I think I'm almost at the end of RDR2 though and this is a long weekend in Ontario so maybe I'll get to finish it. :D

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

The talk on the internet is that Epic is known for releasing impressive demos like this which don't translate to real games, because real games invariably need more simultaneous assets/lights etc which makes the fancy features Epic shows off too expensive.

Too bad you need an AAA studio worth of animator + 3d modeler slaves to do anything with those capabilities...

The thing which PBR rendering pipelines + dynamic lights is that even simple things start to look good. E.g. if you do a render of a simple cube in Blender, it'll look amazing just because of the lighting/material system they use.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

;D found this on the internet

{"name":"612471","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/d\/dd3f46612c3c1e918a00dbeb47de9b98.png","w":573,"h":647,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/d\/dd3f46612c3c1e918a00dbeb47de9b98"}612471

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

The video is impressive. The face of the woman isn't.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

I don't even look, all they have are good graphics, the rest does not exist.

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

Go to: