Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » [KrampusHack 2019] Labyrinth of Lore (not finished)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[KrampusHack 2019] Labyrinth of Lore (not finished)
Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

What Was Submitted

At this time I don't have binaries, but can now provide a clean "source release" of the version that was submitted at the end of KrampusHack. The "repo version" has a different folder structure and build system that I don't recommend messing with (but I absolutely love).

This gift is presented to SiegeLord, a true honor. ;) . His request, in short, was "a new version of Ultima Underworld". Specifically, here's the wish, down at the bottom.

Source Release

Here's the source release, which you should be able to build easily, by simply opening the folder up and typing "make" in your terminal in that directory (It may take a while to build, it's a pretty big compile):

Labyrinth of Lore - Krampushack Release Version.zip

I ask you if at this time:

1) Are you able to compile the program?
2) Does the program run on your machine?

If so, great! That's about the best you should expect :D

The Little That Is There

If you run it, you can, using the keyboard, walk around the world using WASD and pointing with your mouse:

{"name":"612275","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/f\/1fbbbf417049b8bae7cbd5aa091e6cf4.jpg","w":1152,"h":661,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/f\/1fbbbf417049b8bae7cbd5aa091e6cf4"}612275

Note this version does not have any gameplay features, but you can walk around in a world in the dark (a very large world, at that). I wouldn't recommend walking around too much, unless you just enjoy strolling around the game world (which I do, actually.). If you do, I highly recommend playing this music on loop in the background.

The world is very large, and consists of 7 levels. Right now, you can probably only access 5 of them, and one of them is flooded.

Along with the WASD keys for movement, you can also use the following keys to change your "command mode":

KEY_T - Talk - use this mode when wanting to start a dialog with something.
KEY_P - Pickup - use this mode when you want to pick something up.
KEY_L - Look - use this mode to examine things
KEY_K - Attack - use this mode to engage in attack
KEY_U - Use - use an item in your inventory (e.g. a key), on a thing in the world (e.g. a door)

There are only 3 objects to interact with in the world at this time. I won't tell you what they are (but they're not going to be any "hidden doors" along any wall textures, that's annoying).

You can't see or use anything in your inventory at this time.

If you fall in a pit and can't get out, close and restart the game.

That's the extent of the game that was developed up to this time.

Some Generic Questions

I'm kind of curious about a couple things:

1) How much real-estate does the window take up on your screen? It it a 1/2 screen sized window? A mostly all but not quite filling the screen window? A window too large and flows over the desktop?
2) How "dark", aesthetically, does the world screen appear to feel? Do you feel like you're outside at night? Is it too dark? If you have a lot of glare, or there is a beam of sunlight going across your screen are you able to see at all?
3) What did you see/encounter first? Second? Third?
4) Did you try interacting with things? What happened?
5) Where did you go?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I always look forward to your games! I'll play this soon.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

For me running make ends with this:

src/LabyrinthOfLore/Hud/MessageScroll.cpp: In member function ‘std::string LabyrinthOfLore::Hud::MessageScroll::get_last_message_text()’:
src/LabyrinthOfLore/Hud/MessageScroll.cpp:34:47: error: no matching function for call to ‘get<1>(__gnu_cxx::__alloc_traits<std::allocator<std::tuple<float, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, int> >, std::tuple<float, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, int> >::value_type&)’
34 | return std::get<1>(messages[messages.size()-1]);

(using g++ 9.2.1)

[edit:]

Trying with clang instead of gcc I get this:

src/LabyrinthOfLore/Hud/MessageScroll.cpp:34:8: error: no matching function for call to 'get'
return std::get<1>(messages[messages.size()-1]);
^~~~~~~~~~~
/usr/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/9/../../../../include/c++/9/utility:219:5: note: candidate template ignored: could not match 'pair' against 'tuple'
get(std::pair<_Tp1, _Tp2>& __in) noexcept
^

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Elias said:

error: no matching function for call to ‘get<1>`

That's the only one? Not bad! If you add:

#include <tuple>

to the top of include/LabyrinthOfLore/Hud/MessageScroll.hpp, does that fix it? It seems like on my system `#include <utility>` was enough.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

That fixes it, but now I get:

src/LabyrinthOfLore/Shader/DepthDarken.cpp:50:30: error: ‘runtime_error’ is not a member of ‘std’

[edit:]

Fixed it with #include <stdexcept> added to several files.

[edit 2:]

1) How much real-estate does the window take up on your screen? It it a 1/2 screen sized window? A mostly all but not quite filling the screen window? A window too large and flows over the desktop?

1/2 screen size (in each direction, so 25% of screen really), which is too small to see much on this small laptop screen :/

Quote:

2) How "dark", aesthetically, does the world screen appear to feel? Do you feel like you're outside at night? Is it too dark? If you have a lot of glare, or there is a beam of sunlight going across your screen are you able to see at all?

Way too dark, but mostly because of wrong gamma - most 3D games have a gamma slider where you can adjust in the beginning.

Quote:

1. A rat.
2. A torch.

Quote:

1. Tried to pick up the rat. It didn't want to join me :(
2. Picked up the torch. Nothing changed.

Quote:

5) Where did you go?

First an abandoned temple (not sure how, I didn't see a door), then the underworld (through a door), the the village of the forgotten (through a door).

I really liked it (playing that youtube music in the background). But it quickly got tiring staring at a tiny black window - it could be so much better in fullscreen and correct gamma!

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Ehehehehehe! This is great. After working through the same compilation problems as Elias, I got it running and spent a bit of time exploring!

About 2/3ds of the screen is filled up by the window

Quote:

It didn't quite feel like I'm outside, but it did feel dark. I had a little bit of glare, but I could see things fine.

Quote:

I encountered the rat, then the torch and then the goblin.

Quote:

I talked to the rat, but it did not respond. I tried to pick it up, but couldn't. I ended up killing it for its insolence. I picked up the torch, but couldn't use it. I talked to the goblin, and he seemed helpful.

Quote:

5) Where did you go?

I went to the land of the cursed first, but got lost... then I went to the cave, but found it to not go anywhere, then I went to the final temple and fell into a pit while trying leave it.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

I wasn't successful in compiling... Can anyone provide a windows binary?

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

Go to: