Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Krampushack 2019 - the aftermath!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Krampushack 2019 - the aftermath!
amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Happy New Year everybody!

I'm just starting this thread now as a placeholder. Later on, I want to make some announcements on KrampusHack here. But right now, I'm still waiting for a final submission. (It's not yet 2020 everywhere at this time of writing)

And by the way, does anybody know what happened to GullRaDriel? I haven't heard from him since the very start of KrampusHack. Unless I get some new information I'll have to assume he dropped out.

Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

Happy new year!

That's a good idea. It's a pity that quite a bunch of people dropped out :'(

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

I think at this point it might be helpful to clarify who got which gift, because of the drop-outs this might not be obvious.

I'll just lay it all out here:

Tharro's gift was for RmBeer, but he dropped out so it goes to tdammers instead.
Tdammers gift was for NunoMartinez, but he dropped out so it goes to MarkOates instead.
MarkOates's gift goes to SiegeLord
SiegeLord's gift goes to elias
elias's gift goes to FrankDrebin
FrankDrebin's gift was for BugSquasher, but he dropped out so it goes to relpatseht instead.
relpatseht's gift goes to GullRaDriel, but he dropped out so it goes to amarillion instead
and finally
amarillion's gift goes to Tharro!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Glad you're feeling better! I'll leave them open for a few weeks more.

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

So does this mean?:

MarkOates's gift goes to SiegeLord, Tdammers and RmBeer.
amarillion's gift goes to Tharro, GullRaDriel and BugSquasher.

It is an incomplete list, there are still several not know who to who gives gifts...

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Could not finish in time. I had to finish the rooms for my newborn to come and mine (we swapped room with the children).
Next year maybe ^^

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

RmBeer2 said:

So does this mean?:

MarkOates's gift goes to SiegeLord, Tdammers and RmBeer.
amarillion's gift goes to Tharro, GullRaDriel and BugSquasher.

It is an incomplete list, there are still several not know who to who gives gifts...

No, that is not correct. If you drop out then you are not eligible for a gift anymore, and the gift that was supposed to be for you goes to the next person. That is how it's written in the rules.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

My gift (the one I am giving to SiegeLord) still needs some build refinement. The current "make" is tailored for a very specific setup, and needs to be cleaned up a bit for a not-my-local system. I've loaded it up on my laptop and am working out kinks as we speak.

There's also a (short?) list of things I'd like to add before really showcasing it, too. Regardless, it's "released", so anybody can take a look, but what you'll find is a labyrinth ( ;) ;) ) of code to solve before you can actually run the program, and not much game content at this point, other than 7 worlds you can walk around in.

I'll be working on that :).

I can't begin to express how much I've enjoyed working on this. Thank you so much to everybody who participated and especially to amarillion for hosting. :)

More to come...

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlare β€’ AllegroFlare Docs β€’ AllegroFlare GitHub

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Short post-mortem from my side.

First, the good: this is my first game project in years that has gotten past the "wouldn't it be cool if" stage, and the end of a very long abstinence from Allegro. Which I guess is a good thing. I had lots of fun making it, and the constraints of the event helped keep me on track and adopt a "f** this sh**, let's just get 'er done" attitude that isn't typical of me at all, but felt oddly refreshing. As a result, the code is more chaotic than those who know me would expect from me, but it works as intended, and I ran into fewer issues than I had feared.

It's also been a long time since I've done anything serious in C - the past years, I've mostly coded in Haskell, with some JS, Python and C++ as needed, but C has once again proven its mind-cleansing qualities. Back to the basics, if you will, and it's been the right choice in hindsight. I kept things simple and didn't get lost in abstractions that would have been absolute overkill.

Another thing I'm fairly happy with is how the aesthetics came out. I was going for a gritty oldschool pixel art look, and I think I pretty much hit it on the head. I'm not so thrilled about the font choices, but this was something I did fairly late into the competition, and finding better ones would have been an enormous time sink. Buying a tiny wacom tablet and drawing most of the art with that was a great decision though.

The bad: I underestimated the impact that holiday celebrations would have on my coding time. Between the 23rd and the New Year's, I hardly found time to work on it at all, but there was still at least a week's worth of work to do, so I had to cut features left and right to ship anything at all, and the "final" version lacks quite a bit. I wanted to have a "tournament" mode consisting of series of multiple races; different stats for each of the 8 reindeer; sounds (yeah, no, there are no sounds, that's one of the features that didn't make it :P); more obstacles; persistent high score tables; ... But hey, it's playable, it doesn't crash, and considering I wrote it all pretty much from scratch, using Allegro as the only dependency, I think the result isn't too lousy.

Unfortunately, my giftee (NunoMartinez) dropped out at the last minute, and I was already scrambling for time, so unfortunately the only item from Mark Oates' wishlist that I can check off is the "tile based" one, which was trivial because the whole thing was tile based from day 1. I added an ASCII robot to the README for good form though, consider it a gesture.

Now, I think it did come out good enough to be worth putting some more work into, and I definitely will, but before I do, I'll take some time off and do other fun stuff that had to make room for the past 3 weeks.

Cheers everyone, and thanks for playing!

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan HalmΓ©n

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

But then what about the user who should receive a gift?... ???

=====================================
EDIT

Ok, maybe I should forget about it, since I don't participate anymore... :/

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

@RmBeer2; you dropped out, which means you don't get a gift, and you don't give one either. The gift that would have gone to you now goes to the person who should have gotten yours.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan HalmΓ©n

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

@Tobias , i means the gift for tdammers...

Go to: