Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » 2d Tilemap Platformer Demo with Source Code

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
2d Tilemap Platformer Demo with Source Code
MikiZX
Member #17,092
June 2019

Hi,
posting here as the demo demonstrates usage of Allegro5 VBOs - hope this is OK.

Recently there was a question on the forum regarding tilemaps - due to this, this demo was created so that it can load 'Tiled' editor map layers and display them using VBOs.

The graphics, tilemaps and source code are here attached. Posting in hope it will be useful to someone.

Additions, improvements welcome - publishing the source code as CC0.

Archive also contains CC-BY 3.0, CC0 licensed graphics by Pyromantic (https://opengameart.org/content/sunset-temple-tiles).

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

MikiZX
Member #17,092
June 2019

Thanks for checking it out Edgar. What made it require few tries? (I imagine something to do with the project setup? , so I guess a CodeBlock and VS project files could be useful to have included)
I've uploaded this to GitHub and will try to add other features to it with time - possibly come close to a simple but complete game - if anyone wants to play around with it, have fun and add new stuff please feel free to do so. https://github.com/mikiZX/Allegro5-2d-Platformer-Demo-using-VBOs-and-Tiled-tilemaps

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

It's missing a Makefile or a CMakefile at least.

That aside thanks for sharing. That's the kind of example that should go to the a.cc wiki.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

MikiZX
Member #17,092
June 2019

Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into making a makefile - will be a first for me.
This project is not a priority for me, though for the moment, as time permits,I am looking into adding atlas support (packing and drawing) for the sprites and eventually tweening for motion/scaling - both of the two features will be implemented using MIT/CC0 licensed libraries found on GitHub. I will also look into making it easier to compile out of the box though cannot estimate for the moment when this will be ready - should not take long.

Go to: