Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » al_install_audio failing after lubuntu update

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
al_install_audio failing after lubuntu update
_jagged
Member #17,124
September 2019

Hey everyone, I've recently updated lubuntu from 19.04 to 19.10 and al_install_audio has been giving me this error:
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1108:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
AL lib: (EE) ALCplaybackAlsa_open: Could not open playback device 'default': No such file or directory

Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Here's a discussion we had on IRC about it :

Modulo5k	https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/617970 any lubuntu freaks out there? al_install_audio fails
alledos	al_install_audio failing after lubuntu update
elias	? google lubuntu
alledos	https://lubuntu.net/ - lubuntu – lightweight, fast, easier
elias	doesn't say that sound would be different than on normal ubuntu
elias	(which does work)
elias	I'd double check the pulseaudio configuration
elias	if you ever modified it in any way, even several years ago...
elias	then the only solution is to completely wipe the disk and re-install
elias	pulseaudio is one of the modern linux components
elias	and they are like that
Modulo5k	would you mind telling him that? I don't know JACK about ALSA
elias	but basically, try with a clean, unmodified lubuntu first
elias	me neither
elias	
elias	oh, didn't see the link
elias	hm, my first question would be, does anything else play sound on his system
elias	because it sounds like the "default" device cannot be opened, so likely nothing can play sound
Modulo5k	what if the default device was changed by the distro update
elias	then nothing could play sound, not just allegro
Modulo5k	I know how WMP likes to change things every time it updates, and how Windows likes to reset certain security settings ;D
elias	but yeah, if sound works in SDL apps but not Allegro, we'd want to investigate
elias	otherwise it's just a linux sound question, not Allegro related
Modulo5k	no but al_install_audio is failing, so its an allegro question because it was after an update (and before it worked)
Modulo5k	well could be either
elias	yeah, my guess is all sound stopped working on his system

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

It looks like it picks the OpenAL driver for some reason, try creating a file called allegro.cfg in the same folder as your game, with this contents:

[audio]
driver=pulseaudio

Does that make it work?

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

_jagged
Member #17,124
September 2019

Hey guys, thanks for your replies. Audio is otherwise working fine on this system, and I have not made any changes to config files or anything else related to audio.

Thanks for the suggestion Elias, but it did not change anything.

I'm thinking I may just install standard Ubuntu, or another distro that has precompiled Allegro files.

Thanks again.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Are you running Lubuntu bare or on a VM? It's likely a configuration issue, and allegro's default audio driver is simply failing.

I can try it in a VM, but it will take some time.

Also, you shouldn't have to compile allegro yourself on (l)ubuntu.

sudo apt-get install liballegro5-dev

_jagged
Member #17,124
September 2019

Just a standard 'bare' installation. I did install allegro the way you mention as building complex things like this is beyond my current knowledge.

edit: This error is also in standard Ubuntu 19.10

edit edit: I've reinstalled 19.04 and all is good. Meh.. Thanks for looking into it though.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I just realized I gave you wrong instructions - it's allegro5.cfg not allegro.cfg. The four possible files are listed here: https://liballeg.org/a5docs/trunk/system.html#al_get_system_config

Can you try again with the correct name?

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

_jagged
Member #17,124
September 2019

I'd love to help but I'm back on 19.04 and I plan on sticking with this release for some time.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I downloaded Lubuntu 19.10 and I will be testing this soon.

I successfully built Allegro 5 and tested the audio examples in Lubuntu 19.10 in a VBOX VM. They all worked as expected. An error was generated, but playback was not stopped.

GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_proxy_new: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed.

Go to: