Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Love with an ö

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Love with an ö
dthompson
Member #5,749
April 2005

I've been playing around with Löve recently. As heavily-scripted game frameworks go (Lua), it seems pretty good, and actually affords a fair amount of DIY - which is nice to see, coming from Allegro.

I decided to give it a try after I found this Boingboing article. Considering my criteria for a higher-level game engine/framework:

• Libre licensing

• Versionable scripting; not completely dependent on a GUI builder

• Generic; not locked down to one genre

• Cross-platform (and mobile would be nice, though not required)

• Not reliant on Electron / Cordova / anything built on web tech

• Well-used, well-supported

So, of the frameworks shown in Boingboing's pie chart, this pretty much just left Löve and Godot. I've yet to try the latter; it also looks good, though a lot heavier.

Also: I've never touched Lua before. It's not half bad. I guess I'd only ever known it as the thing you use to create crappy weapons for LieroX.

Still gonna spend the majority of my time hacking away with Allegro though, aren't I?

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

My game, ItsyRealm (locked depot thread here), is written mostly in Love. I've had to make some modifications and hoist some of the more CPU intensive stuff to C++ but it's been really awesome so far.

I highly recommend Love. Lua is a great programming language and Love is a great framework.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

dthompson
Member #5,749
April 2005

That's awesome - so it's good with 3D stuff too?

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Yes it is. I have a deferred renderer with a forward pass for translucent objects and it works really well.

I made a few modifications to Love to have a better 3D pipeline but it can be done nearly as easily with vanilla. I just wanted 3D perspective transforms to work natively with the built in shader instead of having to use custom shaders for everything.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

The funny thing is, Bitbucket is dropping support for Mercurial next year, so they need to change the host for their coding, or if they want to continue using Bitbucket, they need to convert to Git.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I thought love with an ö was an allegro based game on the Steam store...

Nope, I guess it's just love with an o.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/269270/LOVE/

sequel with more great music:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/578930/kuso/

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Go to: