Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » I Got the Job!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
I Got the Job!
Doctor Cop
Member #16,833
April 2018

As many of you know that I was struggling for the past 20 days to get a decent Job.
I gave an interview in BelWo (www.belwo.com) company and got selected.

They are working in a different toolset that I know of and as much I know they are an integration company. They use a tool named "Inspire" and I will be learning it for my next 6 months. I was preparing for a Web-technologies company but got this instead.

Is it worth it? I asked them about the scope and they told me that the pay is good but if I want to work in some other company in the future then I will have to change the city. They are paying me something for the training is a plus I think because Web Based companies don't pay the trainees and the pay is slightly better than an average web developer but I will get a raise after every one year only. So I'm guessing the pay is not based on performance.

What do you guys think?
Let me know!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Doctor Cop
Member #16,833
April 2018

Thanks, Edgar :)

So what do you think about the company and is there a good scope?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

Congratulations !

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

Doctor Cop
Member #16,833
April 2018

Thanks, Ariesnl.

Edgar, I was hoping that someone would know about this technology.
I.m going to sign a one year contract so I think I have plenty of time to figure it out. ;)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Doctor Cop
Member #16,833
April 2018

You've got it wrong.
This is what I'm doing https://www.quadient.com/products/quadient-inspire

I have yet to find out what it actually is.
Tomorrow is my first day, HR will introduce me to the company head.
They say it's my final round.

My job is on the programming part, it uses a language similar to Java but with pointers. I will develop programs that will take input from Inspire and then process it and give Output in PDF or other formats.

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Congratulations Doc!

Edgar: it is this, I think:
https://www.quadient.com/products/quadient-inspire

I visited the BelWo website and it looks great. I assume that if I was in that field I would know about them.

Their UK office is about 20 miles from my house!

Pete

[edit] beaten by DoctorCop!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

You've got it wrong.
This is what I'm doing https://www.quadient.com/products/quadient-inspire

Thank you for the correction. However, since I know English is not your first language I will let you know that saying "You've got it wrong" is a little blunt. A simple "Actually, that's not it" or "Nope, this is the one I was talking about" would have sufficed, and been more friendly.

The English language can be very easily misunderstood, and often conveys things we didn't mean to say. Keep at it.

Doctor Cop
Member #16,833
April 2018

Thanks, Peter.

Thanks, Edgar for correcting me. I could only imagine what would have happened if I had used that in front of my boss or someone else.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I think the "Inspire" they're referring to is this: https://www.quadient.com/products/quadient-inspire. Sounds like a communication tool. Client management. Not software development related.

/beaten >:(

The bit about having to move away from the city to get another job is alarming. What's that all about? Non-compete clauses are pretty normal, but having to leave the city for employment is excessive! Or did I misunderstand you?

It's difficult to understand what this company does. They are full of buzzwords that don't really mean anything, to me at least. Which sets off alarm bells for me. The domain has been registered since 2002, but the Web site only says copyright 2013. I wasn't able to determine their age any better than that.

Aside from the scary "leave the city" bit, it sounds like a good opportunity. Don't sell yourself short though. If that leaving the city thing is unacceptable to you (as it would be to me) then reconsider the opportunity. But if I've misunderstood that part, or if it's not an issue for you, it sounds like a reasonable opportunity. At the very least, you'll gain experience and make some money.

My job is on the programming part, it uses a language similar to Java but with pointers. I will develop programs that will take input from Inspire and then process it and give Output in PDF or other formats.

This sounds horrible to me. Java with pointers? Yikes! The only advantage that Java ever had was the simplicity. I'd love to see what the pointer syntax is (is it C-like, or something entirely different?). And of course outputting documents is generally difficult because of the way that most document APIs work. At best, it's just bland and boring. At worst, it's difficult to control the layout and lots of time is wasted trying to fix seemingly simple bugs.

However, since I know English is not your first language I will let you know that saying "You've got it wrong" is a little blunt. A simple "Actually, that's not it" or "Nope, this is the one I was talking about" would have sufficed, and been more friendly.

The English language can be very easily misunderstood, and often conveys things we didn't mean to say. Keep at it.

Thanks, Edgar for correcting me. I could only imagine what would have happened if I had used that in front of my boss or someone else.

I disagree with Edgar here. There is nothing offensive about saying, "You've got it wrong." Edgar is just being overly sensitive. And if your bosses are that sensitive then you should look elsewhere. :P

A native English speaker would most likely just say, "You're wrong," a contraction for, "You are wrong", but the only difference is the length. They all mean exactly the same thing.

You might not want to tell a superior that they're wrong, particularly in front of other people, but only because some people are threatened by their subordinates, and don't want their mistakes to be known by their superiors. And that's their weakness, but it's worth approaching such a thing delicately just in case. A competent boss would not be afraid to admit when they're wrong, and would appreciate you correcting them.

Edgar is not your superior. He is a peer. You can tell him he's wrong all you want to. And if that makes him unwilling to help you in the future then shame on him. The Google results for "inspire software" are far from distinct. There were plenty of possibilities so it was careless for him to assume it was any one in particular. In about 2 minutes of searching the company Web site I found a reference to the inspire software that they use.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

FFS, don't listen to bamccaig when it comes to issues of sensitivity.

You've got it wrong. That's blunt. Ever heard of constructive criticism?

Blatantly pointing out someone is wrong is never polite. I may not be his superior, but to treat your peers that way would be impolite too.

Again, bamccaig is one of the most offensive people I know, don't listen to him.

It's called tact bamccaig, look it up.

"I have yet to find out" was perfectly acceptable for an answer.

https://www.belwo.com/services/customer-content-management-with-quadientgmc/

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

You would have a point if the subject matter were more significant, but you should literally not care about this. It doesn't affect you either way which software is being used, and anybody could have made a mistake about it with such little information. Being wrong about this point does not hurt you in any way.

The fact that you felt you needed to scold the OP for telling you that you're wrong on this point drew extra attention to your error, and now has put you in the spotlight for being overly egotistical and sensitive.

Always blaming everybody else around you is toxic. You should take ownership of your own errors, accept that you're not perfect either, and move on. It's not universally rude/insensitive to tell somebody they're wrong. It's factually wrong to tell somebody it's always rude to say that.

I consider it toxic to tell somebody that is learning English as a secondary language that telling somebody they're wrong is rude. It's entirely context sensitive whether or not it's rude. And some people would consider it rude to sugarcoat it. And without Edgar Reynaldo's Guide To The English Language For Sensitive People the OP might come up with something far more offensive trying to avoid such clear language. I would hope that a native English speaker, knowing the OP is communicating in a secondary language, wouldn't read so much between the lines and would focus instead on what is being said instead of how it's being said.

You do not speak for everyone any more than I do. Open your mind. Assume the best in people. There's a whole world of other possibilities out there.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig, I applaud your vested interest in this. After all, if it was rude, you look bad. I on the other hand welcomed his correction, as stated above, and provided a way for him to communicate more effectively.

All you did was provide an excuse to be rude, which you have never needed. ::)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Back to the topic:

bamccaig said:

The bit about having to move away from the city to get another job is alarming. What's that all about? Non-compete clauses are pretty normal, but having to leave the city for employment is excessive! Or did I misunderstand you?

I'm very curious about this.

Doctor Cop
Member #16,833
April 2018

Yes, I would have to leave the city to find work in another company but if I chose to work for them forever then they say that I should be fine.

They say that this opportunity is Godsend to me and they will pay me the salary which an average trainee gets and after a few years I will get almost the same salary per month as I'm getting per annum now.

They said that the technology is niche but the pay is good and the pool is small but the demand for the technology is great.

[Edit]
And one more thing, they called me and today their company head took my interview, he told me that in this work there is no need for programming but I still can use python for scripting. He told me that what they are doing is a boom and only top companies are competing for this technology's customers.
They told me that the software itself costs millions and the contract is of one year but they want a relationship which would last forever, like BFFs (you know what I'm saying).

So a doubt came to my mind and I thought that I should test them, I told them about my last internship and how they tried to cut my lunch time and I had to run away from that place and after that my previous employers tried to threaten me, they said that they would sue me but I stayed strong and told them I would file a police complaint for violating zoning laws (the company was in a separate unit of an apartment where there were people living, its illegal in India). After hearing this he said their lawyer knows more laws than me and it's a bad thing that I came from a blacklisted company (I don't know what that means, they aren't listed anywhere. I don't know why he said blacklisted).

He said that if I am going to join them then I should make up my mind because I would have to sign the contract before joining and they are very generous that they are ready to give me such an important job (if I qualify), the company is US based and they are paying well (which should be an awesome combo, I suppose).

He said a lot of things and by that, I mean a LOT. He spent 15 minutes on my interview and almost 30 minutes telling me how important this Job is and how it would be a miracle If I get the job. He also said that I won't get this level of job anywhere because of my low percentage in college and this is a perfect opportunity for me which I have gotten out of sheer luck.

I mean he just used my information to tell me how I'm unqualified for this job, first they said that I will get the job but when I mentioned about my previous internship then he said: "if I get the job".

I think that I should spend my whole week making an awesome PHP project and I guess I will get a decent job based on my experience. And on top of that PHP is easier than C. I will not have to learn completely new software and I'm just two frameworks short of getting a PHP developer job. For the PHP developer job, I will need to learn Cake PHP and CodeIgniter. But my mind also tells me that the pay he said they will give is very good and I can buy my own house after two years if I chose to work for them but I also get strange vibes from them like my spider senses have sensed the danger but I don't what's the catch.

Here's what I found on Glassdoor https://www.glassdoor.co.in/Job/developer-inspire-gmc-jobs-SRCH_KO0,21.htm

In google map search in the comment section, I found that two ex employs have given bad reviews and said that the company only focusses on only one technology. I am not judging by this comment, the reason could be anything. Maybe they had expected to work in some toolset but the question is if the company is open about the technology then why did they say that. I have this doubt if they wanted someone to work on a communications software then why did they ask me technical questions? why did they require me to have knowledge of C, SQL, and HTML?

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Congratulations on the job, I hope it is either what you want now or will help you get what you want in the future. I think the interviewer meant by "blacklisted company" is the previous company's practices were so disreputable, no one wants to do business them. I am not sure what you meant when you said "After hearing this he said their lawyer knows more laws than me and it's a bad thing that I came from a blacklisted company (I don't know what that means, they aren't listed anywhere. I don't know why he said blacklisted)." Did the interviewer tell you he/she spoke with their lawyers, or did your previous employer?

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Doctor Cop
Member #16,833
April 2018

No, Bob, I think he wanted to let me know that they have a lawyer if I try to run from them. He wanted to tell me that no one will hire me if they know I came from a blacklisted company, but that was not a blacklisted company that was a black company.

A black company is a legal company who treats its employs like slaves and try to pay them as low as they can.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

But my mind also tells me that the pay he said they will give is very good and I can buy my own house after two years if I chose to work for them but I also get strange vibes from them like my spider senses have sensed the danger but I don't what's the catch.
I have this doubt if they wanted someone to work on a communications software then why did they ask me technical questions? why did they require me to have knowledge of C, SQL, and HTML?

I don't know, sounds a little sketchy to me. Desperate employers will say most anything to get an employee to sign up.

I don't know if they're on the level or not, but the last time I had a strange feeling about an employer I ended up doing manual web testing for a QA company. The job was tedious, boring, and mind-numbingly dull, and I barely got to work with code at all.

Just keep your eyes open. They may be on the up and up, they may not. Try to do some more research before saying yes, if possible.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Yeah, I agree, sounds like no one wants that job and they're desperate.

I had an internship using an obscure report engine no one uses and it was not fun and I did not gain practical programming experience (design, architecture, OOP, etc).

I stick to jobs with mainstream tech stacks (C#, C++, Java, JS, TS, etc).

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

an American proverb said:

If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

That company sounds sketchy to me. I'd be very careful. They're promising you the world, but admittedly not until LATER. You have no guarantee that they'll actually pay you good money, or that they'll keep you employed long term. You're about to agree to basically be their slave (to the point where you'd have to leave the city to work again?!).

And on top of that they've told you that you're under-qualified for the position. Then why would they hire you, and why would they pay you so well? If it was truly a great job then there would be other people that were qualified that were jumping at the opportunity.

The fact that they claim to have great lawyers, and are already threatening to use them against you raises another big alarm bell for me. I say run away as fast as you can (figuratively, not literally), but you have to do what you think is best.

Doesn't India have labor laws that protect you from that kind of thing? I don't think it would stand up in court in Canada for an employment agreement to require you to leave the city to work anywhere else. Or at least, I don't think too many Western people would sign such an agreement (and I don't think an employer would try it). Correct me if anybody has ever had a similar agreement in the West.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Non compete clauses are normal, for a given domain but this is very weird....

Doctor Cop
Member #16,833
April 2018

bamccaig, There are already tons of people applying for the same post as me, when they were interviewing me then many people were coming and filling forms for the post and last time three more people gave interview besides me. I was the one who gave almost all the answers right.

I have checked on glassdoor, and I provided a link too.
Here

The pay is really good but the technology is niche and I will have to change the city to find work and the cities in which the jobs are available are expensive areas. If I ever have to leave the company before 3 years then I'm done for because every company requires at least 3 years of experience.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

{"name":"612065","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/f\/af9f9b01b80fc0324499f22c0d837a51.png","w":889,"h":504,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/f\/af9f9b01b80fc0324499f22c0d837a51"}612065
{"name":"612066","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/4\/9467964eeaa44f8c145250f1fad06693.png","w":822,"h":325,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/4\/9467964eeaa44f8c145250f1fad06693"}612066

That's about 40K CAD a year. Over here, that's below average.

The average Software Engineer salary in Canada is $90,000 per year or $46.15 per hour. Entry level positions start at $48,750 per year while most experienced workers make up to $153,000 per year.

If I ever have to leave the company before 3 years then I'm done for because every company requires at least 3 years of experience.

I've been hired with 3 mo experience for job asking 3 yrs.
I was hired for job asking 5 years with 1 year 3 mo. Don't sweat it.

1   2 

Go to: