Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Celebrating 20 years of Allegro.CC

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Celebrating 20 years of Allegro.CC
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Did you guys know this is Allegro.cc's 20th anniversary year? I don't know the exact date but this is a good time to celebrate it.

Cheers!!! Beers!!!

{"name":"612062","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/b\/5b1e10d1c787e4972ab4ea1f8dde22d6.jpg","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/b\/5b1e10d1c787e4972ab4ea1f8dde22d6"}612062

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

How do you know that?

[edit] I vaguely remember the Allegro Game Depot (AGD) that came before, it was run by Barry Gillhespy but AFAICS no trace remains...
[edit2] https://sourceforge.net/p/alleg/mailman/message/15723825/
https://sourceforge.net/p/alleg/mailman/message/14881234/

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

20 years in about a month
{"name":"612049","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/b\/5bae5c69d692be280598c349c15ebe65.jpg","w":790,"h":371,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/b\/5bae5c69d692be280598c349c15ebe65"}612049

My 10 year anniversary as an a.cc member is coming up in October :o

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

@edgar there's always a clue for those who look :-/

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Gentleman, witness the beginning of all life on the internet as we know it :

[AL] Allegro.cc Suggestions
From: Matthew Leverton <matthew@ae...> - 1999-09-28 00:09:18

Hello,

I'll be starting work on http://www.allegro.cc later this week, and I would
appreciate any suggestions you may have. I'm basically looking for
anything that you think could be beneficial to Allegro developers on a web
site. I want allegro.cc to be filled with as much useful content as possible
in an organized manner, so feel free to to suggest anything - no matter how
"far-out" it may seem ... :) Or, if you'd like to host with allegro.cc or
make general use out of the cool little domain name, let me know. Honestly,
I should have the resources to be able to do anything you've seen done on
the web before, so don't be bashful about suggesting something big. If
there's something dynamic that you'd like done (like the AGD), I'd be glad
to work with you to see it get accomplished.

Please send comments/questions/flame to matthew@..., as I check that
address every minute during work hours.

-Matthew Leverton
http://depot.allegro.cc

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

MDR ^^

;D

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Rodolfo Lam
Member #16,045
August 2015

Cheers guys! Do your think the Supreme Looser will make a special appearance around here to celebrate?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

He's just waiting for the red carpet...

{"name":"51Niot+AJDL._US500_.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/4\/f49a3c23f9077170cb7560154d7a0bd9.jpg","w":500,"h":500,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/4\/f49a3c23f9077170cb7560154d7a0bd9"}51Niot+AJDL._US500_.jpg

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

I'm feeling too old right now...

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

Anyone around from the old Allegro Depot days before Allegro.cc?

I think I was using Allegro 2.2 and I used to visit the Allegro Depot back around '96 or '97. Never contributed, but would download some cool stuff

Anyone remember Boboli or Myrmidon?

Then one day it redirected to Allegro.cc.

gillius
Member #119
April 2000

I believe was around for the Allegro Depot. And when Allegro.cc started I was one of the first to sign up. So I don't think it's been 20 years. My profile says 2000. My guess before I checked was 1999 when Allegro.cc started, but I feel like my signup date is probably within a month or two of Allegro.cc starting...

EDIT: I see the above mails from Matt in 1999. But I figure there was some delay from that point to when development was done?

Gillius
Gillius's Programming -- https://gillius.org/

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

you generally copyright something the year you start working on it so really it is the 20th year anniversary or at least it will be by December 31st 2019 at the latest.

And oh yeah I bet the new catchphrase will be party like it's 2020 vision

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

I'm going to celebrate by looking back at some of the games on the Allegro depot.
I started looking at the Highest Rated games on the Depot:

• KiGB - is an emulator so not a game as such

• Rebels and Lords by Matthew Leverton - never heard of him, skip

• Zelda Classic - haven't got time (I have played it and it's excellent)

• The Pickles - a puzzle game by Dale M A Johnson with a 9.9 rating

So I am going with The Pickles; hopefully I will be able to run it in Wine or whatever

Anyone care to join me?
What great games do you remember from the depot?

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

I really don't remember when I discovered Allegro. Despite my profile says 2002, I think I was using Allegro a couple of years before that. I remember I was writing my own MS-DOS VGA code and I was looking for information about how to play sound when I found Allegro 3.

I think I still have my code for Borland Turbo C.

Niunio, you're not old, you're experienced.

You sweet-talker... :-* ;D

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I think the first A.cc account I had would have been around 1999/2000. But then I didn't have any internet access for a couple of years and I forgot all the details, so I created this account.

I think I started using Allegro in '98. I remember printing a hard copy of the reference manual on the printer at a place where I was working doing Y2K compliance testing.

dthompson
Member #5,749
April 2005

I discovered Allegro after noticing quite a few of the games I played in the DOS (and early Win9x) era were using it. Happyland Adventures was one of the bigger culprits; once I'd pushed the limits of the level editor, coding was the obvious next step.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I discovered Allegro because a friend in college, Samuel H, was using it at a computer next to mine! Around 2005 or 2006. He showed me how to download it and install it in Windows. Which was very interesting to me because it was a manual installation process.

Back then the A.cc message boards were super busy with programming and off-topic threads. I joined up to participate, mostly asking C++ questions trying to make sense of what they taught us in college. And in fact, it wasn't until Allegro community members started to correct some ideas I had about C++ that I realized that my college had done a pretty poor job of teaching it to me. :P I was interested in understanding how games are made, and potentially making my own, but it never really fully clicked. Maybe because I lack knowledge, or because my imagination is visual, but my skills are not. :P

I learned a lot from the experienced programmers here. And they also taught me lots about the world. It used to be a very good resource for having public debates with smart people.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I was a lurker here long before being a member.
It was around 2002/2003, until I had the guts to join and make my room here.
At that time the fights were daily routines, and the code flowing through the forum like water in a fountain.
/OldGruntRant
#AndImNotTheOldest

Edit, fixed typo (well, I think so)

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I found out about Allegro when I somehow found out about DJGPP. Allegro 3.12

I know it was around 2000 I found Allegro, I just can't remember what led me to find DJGPP in the first place now.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

A school friend who was already coding was bored to see me coding, or I harassed him too much. Either way he taught me the basics, and these were the times of dos and Rhide/DJGPP.
I remember the demos CDs with sources included, the LAN parties, Carmageddon, Duke Nukem Doom and Shadow Warrior ^^ ( I have to mention Pacman & Dstroy, a dos bomberman that you could play with 4 people at the same time on one or two keyboard )
And I had to save a lot at that time to buy myself a 3DFX Voodoo card, which was the best with glide enabled games.
Then came Half Life, and The Fourth Coming, and many mores !
I had to hide when connecting to THE internet, with a 56k modem and a 10 meters long cable that I was deploying when everyone was asleep. It was monopolizing the line and forbidden by my parents, so I had to do it in the nights.
I do not miss the days. I consider myself lucky to have learn computing in the old days, with old geeks, nearly at the beginning.
IT people those days are too lightly taught IMO. They've lost the art of optimizing and making good portable and reusable code to the arts of merchandising and virtualisation. Remember, we can put all the memory/cpu/disk they ask, why not ? It's virtual (I'm ironic here in case you didn't noticed).
All the bullshit said to sell a product nowadays... All those fake AIs that are just stats and a big if else roll.
I still manage to craft old good compiled code at work. I guess the need for speed is still sometimes winning against the tech sellers and all the lobbying. Thanks to the users feedback too.
Well, today isn't bad either. We have a ton of good and cheap ($) hardware. And coming from where we come, nothing is really scary for us !
And I learnt a lot coming here and on IRC, talking to you all. I also thank you for that.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I'm going to celebrate by looking back at some of the games on the Allegro depot.
I started looking at the Highest Rated games on the Depot:
Anyone care to join me?
What great games do you remember from the depot?

Some of my favorites are (in no particular order) :

and I saw this one that I'm going to give a whirl :
Operation Spacehog

1   2 

Go to: