Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » How to build Allegro with CMake?

Credits go to Edgar Reynaldo for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
How to build Allegro with CMake?
Galateia
Member #17,057
March 2019

Hello. I am an absolute novice in programming and just finished the tutorials about console programs. Now I am venturing towards GUI. I would like to use Allegro as my first GUI, but I am stuck in the ''build'' part.

I do not understand what is this ''build'' thing, but I assumed it is how I get the include files from the source code, as well as produce the .dll files needed to include in the final program. This process seems to be compiler dependent, as I read in SFML site that we must always use the same compiler which generated the libraries.

I downloaded CMake and when I use it, a complete error occurs: "Determining if the C compiler works failed". It also states "Error in configuration process, project files may be invalid".

What am I supposed to do? I would like someone to guide me. Thanks in advance.

--
My environment:
Windows 7 64bits;
Bloodshed Dev C++;
TDM GCC 5.1.0-2 (64bits version)
CMake 3.13.4
Allegro source file version: allegro-5.2.5.0.zip

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

It's probably something you can google "cmake [error message]" but it sounds like your compiler isn't in your windows PATH environment variable so when cmake tries to check for it / run it, it can't find it.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Galateia
Member #17,057
March 2019

I am searching this for hours but no satisfactory answer found... Many, many people have the same problem, but all answers I found refer to misuse of MSVS.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

First things first. TDM GCC is out of date and unsupported. They're still on GCC 5.1 but GCC 8 is out.

The MinGW-W64 project provides an up to date, working compiler that includes all the DX headers and libraries that you need.

If CMake can't compile a simple file, it's because it's not on the path or it doesn't know what the compiler is.

I provide a compile guide for MinGW-W64 you can find it here :

http://members.allegro.cc/EdgarReynaldo/BuildA5.html

However, you may want to use the binaries instead and save yourself the trouble of building all the dependencies.

Galateia
Member #17,057
March 2019

Thank you. I'll try my best.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Go to: