Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Happy Birthday WWW !

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Happy Birthday WWW !
GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Today is World Wide Web's 30th anniversary !

Happy BD WWW !

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

I remember using the library computers to access 'gopher' services hosted by universities. One day there was an extra option 'World Wide Web', the introduction for which said something like "the web is different because it has no top or bottom" (gopher was always arranged like a tree of sub-menus leading to documents at the leaves)
I played with it for a few minutes but couldn't see the point. This was probably about 1993.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I remember using lycos, altavista, hastalavista, caramail and THEN the google.
Like Peter my first internet sessions where in public services.
On some years I spent most of my time grabbing free CDROMS with free limited WWW access (AOL, WANADOO,...) and using a good old wired 56k modem during the night when my parents wouldn't know. (Yes, I had a +10 meter cable with a silent modem because I cut the buzzer).
And then unlimited access came, and there we are !
:D

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I'm so proud!!!

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Go to: