Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » I hate AMD.

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
I hate AMD.
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Alternate title:

I'M.

SO.

HAPPPPYYY!~!!!!!!!!

I've been a long AMD fan forever. Going back to the AMD K6 and even an AMD-branded 486 back when they were second-sourcing for Intel.

I've had an Athlon X2. Athlon X4 ~630. And most recently, an Athlon FX-8370. The highest CPU you could get without hitting the 9xxx series which doubled the already high thermal wattage to a whopping, insane, 250 watts just for the CPU. Enjoy your power bill, space heater, for an incredible ~15% increase in throughput over the 8xxx series.

Awhile back with my Athlon X4, I was getting like, <30 FPS when I tried to record Styx Master of Shadows. I got my FX-8370 and I was happy. It stayed at 60 FPS. I even made a thread about it years ago about how people were flatout wrong when they said "CPU doesn't matter for FPS/3D games."

Well, years went by and my 8 cores kept becoming more and more of a problem. I couldn't play games with my friends. I would always get framerate spikes whenever an enemy got on the screen, freezing my gameplay right as they came at me and ensuring my death.

I checked online benchmarks on YouTube. I have a GTX 1060 and yet I was getting terrible framerates at higher resolutions. I checked the benchmarks, they had the SAME problem. Then, I checked the same CARD, SAME GAME, SAME RESOLUTION with an Intel i5? DOUBLE the framerate.

Fun fact: My AMD has 8 "cores" but every two cores are actually apart of a shared "module" which shares cache and floating point units. So really, it's only a four core machine with a beefier version of hyper-threading.

Well, I bought a used Dell from ebay for like $145 for CPU, motherboard and case. It's an Intel i5-4570. It was made the previous year than the AMD FX-8370. Yet it has half the thermal output (=quieter fan too!).

I always liked being an AMD guy because I've always been an underdog supporter. (Though I've always loved AMD + nVidia card because ATI used to have complete !@$! drivers and nVidia literally had a slogan about games "just running" because they did.) But now, meh? I'm not a young man anymore, with expendible cash. I need tools that get the job done. And my god. This Intel is so much faster.

Note! With only 4 intel cores, I get a slightly less "overall CPU" benchmark according to passmark. HOWEVER, each core is about %25-35 faster than my AMD cores. So when I'm bottlenecked on a single-threaded situation (which is almost always), I get a net improvement. Emulated games run faster. Video games run faster. (Hell even VIDEO RENDERING went faster in Kdenlive though it's possible I didn't use all 8 cores with the AMD run.)

If I can get a job (ugh, life sucks right now), I'm going to save up another ~$120-$150 and buy the highest CPU I can get for this old socket (Which uses DDR3 so I can keep my 32GB of DDR3). An ~ i7-4750 or something like that. It's again, 4 cores, but another ~25% faster single threaded which is a good, cheap upgrade path for me for a cheapo gaming rig for the next few years. (And then the next upgrade years later will just be a DDR4 more modern rig.)

But anyway, I'm really disappointed in my AMD FX-8370. It did not scale with the years. PUBG ran like absolute piss no matter the resolution and that feeling of "I can't play with my friends" is such a bummer.

I'll keep the FX-8370 around for either my wife's computer, or a rendering rig. But that reminds me, the computer was also starting to crash more and more. Either the CPU or the motherboard is dying. (I think the CPU because I changed motherboards at one point.) When doing intensive things (no the temps weren't too high) occasionally it would crash whatever game I was running, and the display driver would die and reset and chrome would be all black windows that required restarting Chrome to fix. And no, it's not the videocard because my Intel is using the same card with no problems.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-FX-8370-Eight-Core-vs-Intel-i5-4570/2347vs1896

[edit] Also, whoever does Intel's naming needs to die. A horrible death. i3/i5/i7/i9. Then 4000, 5000, 6000 (means generation). Then a 4750 vs a 4570 (screw you dyslexics) is much better? It IS MUCH BETTER.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Planning on upgrading my rig this year, new AMD processor and a new AMD GPU. It's going to be great 8-).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Izual
Member #2,756
September 2002

Happy AMD Ryzen R5 1500X user here. I upgraded about a year and a half ago from
my beloved AMD Athlon X2 5600+ and i am really satisfied with its performance for now.
Altrough i do not play any new games any more because there is just not enough time anymore.
The newest game i was trying out of curiosity to see how my machine performs was Witcher 3.
I was able to run it at max details with some framerate drops in some crowded areas
but i only have NVIDA GT 1050 2GB so it was propably that. :)
But i am getting 60Fps on FTB:Revelations modpack for minecratf so that is enough for
me.
I could not even run that pack on my old machine so it makes me really happy.

Well but i mostly build it as and budged PC with low power consuption and still
acceptable performance and i think i got what i wanted to build.

CPU: AMD Ryzen R5 1500X at 3.5GHz and 65W
GFX: Nvidia GT 1050 2G with 65W
RAM: DDR4 32GB at 3200MHz
and some SSD drive to go with.

Low power consuption and good performance.
Intel settup with the same performance was almost at 3times the price and all cpus had like 140W in that category. So it was easy decision for me.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Your brand new AMD: (Basically the next-gen equivalent of my FX-8370.)

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+5+1500X&id=3001

My 6-year old Intel CPU:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-4570+%40+3.20GHz&id=1896

Note the single threaded. 2056 vs 1856. Which is essential if you want to play emulated games (Gamecube/Wii), or modern games at high framerates--especially at higher resolutions. My AMD became a bog at 1440p. Now I can actually run 4K60 (on a 55" TV) with ~2012 era games. It's stunningly beautiful. My wife went "WOAH."

video

I love my AMD but, you know, I'm sick of this "it's always slower" crap. I've got work to do. And I got the case, CPU and motherboard (and fan), for $145 shipped.

Even rendering video was faster and I have four less cores now. Except, you know, my AMD has fake cores. So once you try to USE all eight cores they're all equally even slower than before.

My friends all told me "just buy a damn Intel already" and I kept going "yeah yeah... maybe one day." For years. And then I finally do and I'm already impressed.

Also, if I spent a mere $100 later, still DDR3, I can upgrade my same rig to an i7-4750 which has a single-threaded of 2500 (compared to the Ryzen 1856) and faster overall than your AMD as well (11175 vs 10079)... and it came out in 2014.

I'm still running a dual core AMD Athlon 64 2.2 GHz on my XP machine. 8-)

::)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Go to: