Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » New Game - Input Welcome

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
New Game - Input Welcome
Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

Hi guys,

so I spent some time on a new game - "Renegade Deluxe". Even though there's not much to do yet I wanted to share this early version/demo with you to get your input and ideas on what to implement.

{"name":"611719","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/4\/d4bf5055fe9c1bf233a9a52044927660.png","w":960,"h":540,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/4\/d4bf5055fe9c1bf233a9a52044927660"}611719

Windows Binary
Linux Binary

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Haha, neat. Always include a README though. It took some time to figure out the controls, and the mouse actions. Too bad you can't destroy anything yet. You should add a little explosion when you hit something, or like shrapnel, or damage, or whatever. Some indication something is happening.

Now you should add enemies, like infantry, and tanks, and RPGs and the like. 8-)

What did you envision with this game?

Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

Something to hit and a damage system is of course the next thing I planned to work on... I'll try to include a ReadMe and a game menu as well.
What I envisioned is not 100% decided yet this is why I am open for ideas ;D Actually I wanted the make AI-controlled enemies out of the other jeeps and I thought of a RPG as well already. Tanks and infantry would be nice but unfortunately I am not a good artist to create the sprites for that :o

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Would it be too vomit inducing to make the jeep stationary, and all the terrain move around it instead? Leave the controls the same, but move the world and have the jeep face front. You could angle the playfield or make 3d terrain to drive on, okay maybe that's too much.

Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

I'll see if I can make a test keeping the jeep stationary and see what fits better...
Actually I also thought of adding some heights/depths to the terrain but before that there's a lot of things to do (e.g. something to shoot at) before I'm going to work on that ...

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Just try making AI for one jeep. Make it follow you, and make it shoot towards you randomly. Or make it follow you, and shoot at the other jeeps, like a wing-man.

It can be like jeep gangs. And you could make an objective to reach, and a minimap.

Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

I like the minimap-idea! That's a must-have.

As an objective I thought of 'kill all enemys' a.k.a. 'king of the hill'. That's easy to implement. Wing-man sounds nice, too but then I need something else to shoot at ;D

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

Got it ;D

BTW: Did you try the linux binary?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Need graphics? Here's a great site with all sorts of licenses, from public domain, to others...

https://opengameart.org/art-search-advanced?keys=&field_art_type_tid%5B%5D=9&sort_by=count&sort_order=DESC

For example, I found this set on there that is public domain...
{"name":"wj_0.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/7\/f7cf55f924ec7483985ab257abc1474c.png","w":250,"h":188,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/7\/f7cf55f924ec7483985ab257abc1474c"}wj_0.png
https://opengameart.org/content/military-jeep

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

Edgar, both binaries are the same but obviously there are still issues with the linux binary...

Thanks NiteHackr, I will look up that resource ;)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

OK so I guess I'm still struggeling with statik linking in linux and gonna focus on windows binaries until I decide to make the game open source :P

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Go to: