Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » GitHub wiki

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
GitHub wiki
dthompson
Member #5,749
April 2005

I've decided to make a serious go of moving/rewriting the content that's not hideously out-of-date from the Allegro.cc wiki over to GitHub. This stems from this thread, particularly SiegeLord's comment.

My main reasoning for this is as follows:

• Aside from SiegeLord's macOS bundling tutorial, it's a clean slate.

• It's hosted on a big site that isn't likely to go down any time soon; despite Tomasu's best efforts to keep the old wiki going, I hear he's had to nuke it before.

• There aren't many better versioning tools than Git itself. Copy this link to clone the wiki's repo.

• Closer proximity to Allegro's GitHub repository. Many people expect to find tutorials and articles on GitHub itself nowadays - either in the repo, the attached wiki, or a project's GitHub Pages site.

Unfortunately, the old wiki is chock-full of half-done and out-of-date articles. There's far too much of a focus on Allegro 4, the all-important Allegro Vivace sequel never got finished, and relevant info can be difficult to find. A quick look over the a.cc wiki should reveal the scale of the problem.

Have a look at the current progress and let me know your thoughts - particularly on the Quickstart and Vivace sections. I'd like to keep things trim and concise - other than for Vivace, which I've written thus far in as friendly a way as possible. Some ideas are already in place for later tutorials. Be braced for lots of TODOs; let's just hope they don't last as long as those on the a.cc wiki. 8-)

And, of course, please contribute :P it'd be good if we coordinated things from this thread if anyone else wants to get stuck in.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

It looks pretty good so far. I'll try to contribute when I have time. Thanks for taking the initiative to start this. :)

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Awesome!

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Good idea anyway :D

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

dthompson
Member #5,749
April 2005

We've christened the new wiki repository. As before, anyone can edit, but those who want to do fancy stuff like uploading images or bigass attachments will need to request pull permissions.

Hopefully this will work well and spam+staleness will become things of the past. :)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

If anyone wants the wiki database and images as a nice "big" (actually small) tarball, let me know.

It could concievably be scripted, and out of date stuff be pruned after the fact.

Mediawiki is a royal pain. Can't wait to be rid of it. :D

dthompson said:

I hear he's had to nuke it before.

I haven't had to nuke it, but some hardware failures, and backup failures have meant some changes have been lost at a couple different times.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

dthompson
Member #5,749
April 2005

Mediawiki is a royal pain. Can't wait to be rid of it. :D

Wahey! 8-)

May well take you up on that offer of a tarball. Once Vivace is sorted, plan is to have a look through the old wiki to pick up any nuggets of info that may have been missed. So far, most of the stuff we've ported has been totally rewritten though.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Can you post the tarball here? And will the export be in a format we can plug into one of the many conversion tools like https://github.com/philipashlock/mediawiki-to-markdown?

Then we could just dump the result of that into a separate read-only github wiki and manually copy over useful pages.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

dthompson
Member #5,749
April 2005

FYI, won't be giving this my attention for a few days as I'm switching jobs.

Go to: