Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » How to add frameless display to Windows taskbar?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
How to add frameless display to Windows taskbar?
maxdev
Member #16,072
September 2015

Hello,
when creating a frameless display (with the ALLEGRO_NOFRAME option), the window is not displayed in the Windows taskbar anymore. Is there a way to keep/add the window to the taskbar?

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

It's a known bug, https://github.com/liballeg/allegro5/issues/795. It should be easy to fix, but I just tried for a few minutes and failed. As the bug describes, alt-tabbing still works, so it'll appear after an alt-tab.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

maxdev
Member #16,072
September 2015

Thanks for your reply.
I already figured out, that Alt+Tab brings the window to the taskbar, too.
If anyone might know a workaround to add to my code, which would bring the window to the taskbar immediately (without having to press Alt+Tab first), I would really appreciate that.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

It should be as simple as removing the parent of the HWND that allegro is using. But that might cause other problems.

As stated here :

Managing Taskbar Buttons

The Shell creates a button on the taskbar whenever an application creates a window that isn't owned. To ensure that the window button is placed on the taskbar, create an unowned window with the WS_EX_APPWINDOW extended style. To prevent the window button from being placed on the taskbar, create the unowned window with the WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW extended style. As an alternative, you can create a hidden window and make this hidden window the owner of your visible window.

Go to: