Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Sneaksy and the Quest for the Jakkenstone

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Sneaksy and the Quest for the Jakkenstone
Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I made a pong game where you use the ball to kill things.

https://aaronbolyard.itch.io/school-sneaksy

(Mobile link.).

Wave 18 is very difficult. The final boss is a pushover however. There's 20 waves in total.

Controls are pretty simple: swipe left or right to teleport to the left or right side of the screen; swipe up or down when the ball is near Sneaksy (the paddle) to hit it up or down. Tap on a slain enemy to turn him into a wight to fight for you.

If you don't swipe and the ball hits you, you heal a little bit. So there's that.

{"name":"IIkDdP0.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/5\/b571f61c3816811fdb9ea96e14473ce8.png","w":800,"h":600,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/5\/b571f61c3816811fdb9ea96e14473ce8"}IIkDdP0.png

{"name":"LNaxCe0.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/3\/73190bd99c5b86bc5c2b657f92efb60b.png","w":800,"h":600,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/3\/73190bd99c5b86bc5c2b657f92efb60b"}LNaxCe0.png

Some hints:

On wave 18, make sure you have a large reserve of wights. Pay attention to the dragon; when he attacks, teleport to the opposite side of the arena. Let your wights kill him.

Don't resurrect your guys on the first few waves. Start resurrecting around wave 4.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I tried this, it is definitely an interesting concept. In terms of the waves, it could use a wave counter, I'm not actually quite sure how far I got into the game. In terms of the gameplay itself, I did not find controlling the ball's direction to be that useful or reliable, especially when there were a lot of corpses around. Granted, perhaps if I learned how to use that effectively, it could have helped me get further. It did appear that things could go from being okay to instant death pretty quickly, especially if you suddenly lost all your wights and high damage enemies all hit you in a short duration. It's not an unmanageable difficulty, but just something that stood out.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Well done making a game. :) I like the concept and the art style. The controls were a bit tough using a mouse, though I imagine it's better on mobile. I found it difficult to tell when an enemy had taken damage though. Sometimes the ball would bounce off of one, but it didn't seem to do anything. Adding a "tell" or some feedback for when a hit does something would improve the game, as would adding sound effects.

Overall, I like the concept and had fun with it, but a little more polish would really bring it to the next level. :)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Here's a tinyurl that's easier to type into a mobile device: https://tinyurl.com/ybomt7rr.

It won't actually load on my phone though. Both Samsung Browser and Google Chrome failed to start the game.

(For some reason goo.gl instantly blocked it for violating their terms of service... ::) Apparently links in goo.gl are permanently linked to your Google account too. >:()

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

bamccaig said:

It won't actually load on my phone though. Both Samsung Browser and Google Chrome failed to start the game.

What kind of phone do you have? I just tested it on my Samsung Galaxy S7 and it worked just fine in Chrome 67.0.3396.87 (albeit with a sluggish frame-rate by the third wave). The controls are much nicer on mobile.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I have a Galaxy S7. :P It ended with X/X objects loaded or whatever, but never actually loaded the game in either browser. :-/

Append:

Now it says, "Exception thrown, see JavaScript console," but there is no console in mobile browsers (that I am aware of).

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Thanks for playing and the feedback!

It was for school so I'm done working on it, haha. But I thought it was an interesting idea.

I think it could be a lot better with polish but I'd rather work on ItsyRealm.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Go to: