I'm saying nothing :P

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

You will never prevent the importation, manufacture, or distribution of illicit narcotics in America. Prohibition doesn't work. It never has.

Tell that to the liberal's gun control platform. ::)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

More to the point, recreational drugs were never considered a critical safeguard of the freedom of the people.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

So everybody should carry around a AR-16? With high capacity clips? Sure, why not, what could it hurt.

bamccaig said:

You will never prevent the importation, manufacture, or distribution of illicit narcotics in America. Prohibition doesn't work. It never has. You cannot possibly protect every mile of coast and border in your country, let alone that it's possible to whip up illicit narcotics using ingredients readily available already in your country. People will always find ways to get things across or make them from scratch, and the harder you make it the more profitable you make it. Supply and demand.

So we shouldn't bother to try. Right. When 80% of drugs, and 90% of heroin comes from outside our borders then controlling the borders is the best way to reduce the amount of drugs in our country.

bamccaig said:

You seem to be ignoring the fact that America is largely responsible for many of the world's problems

e1088404363f903cff29d177600333eb-240.jpg
That darn oppressive West.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Gun control will take centuries in America for many reasons. For one, due to many social issues perpetuated by the government and the people, violent crime is high in parts of America and therefore guns might actually be justified for protection. Particularly when the police cannot or will not help. For another, Americans are convinced that it's their damned right to own guns so they can rise up against the government. Ignoring the fact that the government is far, far more powerful than guns, and it's already too late to stop them. Case in point: the Boston occupation incident after the bombing. They will just treat every American citizen like a criminal because there might be one or two terrorists among them, and nobody is able to stop them (you can't honestly tell me there are no guns in Boston).

So we shouldn't bother to try. Right. When 80% of drugs, and 90% of heroin comes from outside our borders then controlling the borders is the best way to reduce the amount of drugs in our country.

You're welcome to try to secure the borders, but if what you're securing them front is drugs then it shouldn't be considered a national security incident when a struggling family that has no drugs attempts to sneak in to escape poverty, gangs, and violence in Mexico.

It isn't especially illegal aliens that are smuggling drugs across into America. It's also American citizens, and many other nationalities crossing at border crossings in plain sight with drugs cleverly concealed. And of course, it's probably mostly imported by rich people that can just go right around all the security because they're VIPs.

Hollywood might as well be renamed to Cocaineville. It's no secret. Of course, nobody tries to do anything about it either. They can do whatever they want. It's predominantly minorities with marijuana that are the problem apparently. ::)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

So everybody should carry around a AR-16? With high capacity clips? Sure, why not, what could it hurt.

Your strawman's pants are on fire. :P ::) Probably because you know I had a good point. :P

Quote:

AR-16

...16? It's like an AR-15, but it's one more dangerous! It goes to 11!

Fun fact: Majority of crimes in the USA are done with handguns, not rifles. And why does no one ever want to ban shotguns? If there was EVER a gun to kill crowds of innocent people, it would be a shotgun. Oh, and Columbine shooters had them. But liberals never talk about it. Lul. (They also never talk about CAR BANS or PRESSURE COOKER bans every time someone murders dozens of people with those! Because guns are icky!)

Also, most gun deaths in the USA... are suicides. (Estimated <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States>over 60%</a>!!!) So suicides don't really change when you remove guns. And the other big bracket is gangs... which are fueled by drug prohibition. So here we go full-circle.

Also, most crime in the USA is... in big cities... where all the gangs are:

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-8c92c5ccec1f344435e0e350e72e42cf.webp

So once again, the reality and solutions is a little less "obvious", and it's driven more by emotions than facts. Nobody is FOR "more crime/gun death/suicides". The question what actually works to resolve those things without unduly encroaching on people who do nothing wrong at all.

Want to stop drunk driving? Either ban all alcohol, or force everyone to install blood-alcohol meters in EVERY CAR that HAVE TO BE USED every time, or you go to jail. Seems easy, right? Except that would unduly hurt all the innocent people who don't drunk drive. Seems pretty harsh, eh? Now you have the liberal's gun control platform.

They'll even pass laws that have been proven to have ZERO affect on crime, and, once those laws expire, they'll try to pass them again, AFTER we KNOW 100% that they didn't reduce crime. It's called the Assault Weapons ban.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapons_Ban#Studies_on_effectiveness

Quote:

"did not reveal any clear impacts on gun violence outcomes."

, the effects on gun violence would likely be small and perhaps too small for reliable measurement, because rifles in general, including rifles referred to as "assault rifles" or "assault weapons", are rarely used in gun crimes.

A study conducted by Dube in 2013, showed that the passing of the FAWB in 1994 had an insignificant impact on violent crime in Mexico,

And you may think I'm picking cherries here but this is a HUGE tenet of the Democrat's platform in the USA. It's pure insanity. They talk about it all the time, and how letting it expire was some sort of travesty.

Talk about being anti-science. ::)

The thing is, the moderates in the USA (most people really, who just want to go to work) are completely in favor of REASONABLE gun controls like background checks and preventing crazy people from getting guns. But the liberal party has been proven to not debate guns fairly (at all) so the right-wingers AND moderates know they can't be trusted to enact a fair, logical gun control law. Because even if they did, they would then be "emboldened" and take that as a proof of their "cause" and then try to move even further in. You give the Democratic party and inch, and they'll take a mile. (BTW, I'm a ZERO percent supporter of the Republican Party. I'm talking objectively here. If anything, I'm a gun owning liberal.) So since everyone knows the Democrats don't play fair, and beat their chest and take any opportunity to cry on TV (while distorting or ignoring facts that get in the way of their holy, dogmatic quests), nobody trusts them to touch guns and that's why gun control never gets better. ... Because liberals can't be trusted.

I'm in favor of banning "bump stocks". It's illegal to own an automatic firearm, and it creates a automatic firearm living inside a legal loophole. Either make automatics legal (no thanks), or, ban bump stocks. But the problem is, any time we talked about bump stock bans, these A-holes on the blue side wanted to lop in additional, draconian, changes. Nobody trusted the liberals, so nothing happened except on a couple state levels. The point here is NOBODY is for random a-holes owning automatic weapons, yet they're still legal because everyone is terrified of what law liberals might pass. They're more afraid of liberals... than the people with the guns.

Meanwhile, fun fact: Trump is using the DoJ to redefine them as machine guns, so we can ban them. That's right. "Evil dictator neo-con Trump" is helping to increase gun control. But you probably never heard that, because anytime Trump does something liberals actually want, they either ignore it, or magically pretend they HATE it. "OMG, Trump is trying to take our sacred gun rights!" lululululull

[edit]

Also:

video

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

We got drugs. And we got guns. And we got people. And we got big problems. The problems don't go away, if we prohibit guns and drugs. The problem is people. We can't prohibit people. What we can do is educate people.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Your strawman's pants are on fire. :P ::) Probably because you know I had a good point. :P
Quote:

AR-16

...16? It's like an AR-15, but it's one more dangerous! It goes to 11!

M-16. AR-15. Whatever. Split the difference and call it an AR-16. :P

Whatever happened to pistols at 50 paces? Honorable duels. Nowadays you get a 20 shot clip with laser sight and you can just saturate a crowd with death in under 20 seconds! ;)

You don't want to talk about gun control either, because if the bad guys have an uber killer gun you want the next best thing. So you can 'defend' yourself. Instead of reducing the gun market, you want to saturate it. If SOMEBODY's got a gun then EVERYBODY has to have one. That's the reasoning you people use.

Learn a martial art. Go outside. Get some exercise. (Yes, Chris I realize you're disabled I'm not talking to you).

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

On a side note, Merikuh has more than one elephant in the room. It's probably more like 100 million elephants. But we don't have that kind of time.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Since "kuh" (pronounced differently) means "cow" in German, I've first thought of "merry cow" when reading merikuh and was really puzzled. Probably the elephant triggered animal associations, too.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

...the proles should have access to guns so they can rise up and seize the means of production from the bourgeois...

Am I joking? Who knows! :D

The scary thing is I agree with bamccaig on a lot of his points he has made in this thread.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

The scary thing is I agree with bamccaig

:o

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Stick around long enough, and bamccaig will warp your world to the point of not knowing what agreement and disagreement are anymore.

You two should be best friends anyway. Mother Matthew gave birth to you back to back.

1   2 

Go to: