Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » Some suggestions

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Some suggestions
keprast
Member #16,794
January 2018

1.The event system should be extended.(User events)
2.Better animation control instead of old double buffering.
3.Particle system (Even if it's just a few simple rendering).
4.Physical system? Maybe it can be added to the event.
5.Transformation needs to be improved(Matrix conversion, API document writing is too vague).

6.!!!! More comprehensive use of the course, even if only the Pac-Man !!!!

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

keprast said:

What do you mean? We already have user events.

Quote:

That sounds beyond the scope of the library.

Quote:

There's enough low level machinery to draw some particles, beyond that also might beyond the scope.

Quote:

You mean physics? Or what? Physics is way beyond the scope... a good physics engine is a lot of work, and is a bit separated from IO things Allegro is aimed at.

Quote:

5.Transformation needs to be improved(Matrix conversion, API document writing is too vague).

If there's any concerete issues, we can resolve them.

Quote:

We try ;).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

SiegeLord said:

I don't think I've ever used them without having to write to the forums to figure out what the hell is going on.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

keprast said:

SiegeLord said:

I don't think I've ever used them without having to write to the forums to figure out what the hell is going on.

What's there to understand? They multiply matrices. ??? They add the calling transformation to the matrix in use.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I know what they're supposed to do. ::) I've never had them work correctly. Any time I combine 3-D and 2-D (3-D with 2-D overlay/stats/info), I spent days trying to get the transformations to work without clobbering the other transformations.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

The manual explains the difference fairly well imo.

For 2D you n d an orthographic projection. For 3d it depends on what you want. The transformations are tied to a bitmap target.

Sorry I'm on my phone or I'd explain better

EDIT

So if you take a look at the manual on liballeg.org here :

https://liballeg.org/a5docs/trunk/transformations.html#al_use_projection_transform

It shows you how to restore the default 2D orthographic transform so you can draw normally on allegro bitmaps using allegro's drawing routines.

As for 3D, allegro needs a proper perspective or orthographic transform set up.

Then you can play with the view transform to move, rotate and scale things at will.

OpenGL is nice because you can push and pop matrices on and off the stack. With allegro you have to recreate the full transform, or multiply the matrices and save and restore the state yourself.

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

keprast said:

Points 1 and 5 are yet supported by Allegro. Points 3 and 4 are engine stuff, and Allegro is not an engine but a framework (library). About 6, well, may be you're right and there should be more comprehensive examples about how to make games (wiki). Anyway you can take a look to the latest TINS entries and see how they work.

About point 2 I'm pretty sure it is possible to implement without changing Allegro. Anyway it depends about what you think it is "better". Double buffer is good enough for most cases (if not all them).

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Go to: