Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Installing 32-bit / Universal binaries on Mac

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Installing 32-bit / Universal binaries on Mac
roger levy
Member #2,513
July 2002

I installed Allegro via Homebrew, turns out it isn't universal and there's no --universal option. Can anyone lend assistance? Is there a way for me to obtain 32-bit-compatible binaries without installing Xcode? I'd like to "be in and out" in regards to the Mac port of my game engine RAMEN, since I don't yet own my own Apple computer and I'm borrowing a work computer.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Err... Allegro doesn't support any 32 bit OSXs. The minimum version is somewhere around 10.6 and 10.8, and those are 64 bit only.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

roger levy
Member #2,513
July 2002

Oh that is a bit of a problem isn't it. Well I could look into finding a 64 bit host Forth...

How hard would it be for Allegro to gain 32 bit support on Mac?

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

[nvm]

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

It's still possible to build and run 32-bit apps on 64-bit MacOS, though Apple are in the process of phasing them out. I haven't ever tried but I wouldn't contradict SL if he says Allegro is 64-bit only.
Maybe it's time for SwiftForth to step up and embrace the 64 bit world?!

roger levy
Member #2,513
July 2002

Gotta love Apple.

Honestly it probably isn't a big deal if RAMEN doesn't support Mac for awhile. It's not a big gaming market. I should put out my first blockbuster hit first ;)

Forth Inc. the makers of SwiftForth are a very small company with only one developer AFAIK, they make all their money from consulting work and barely have time to improve SwiftForth so personally I doubt that that will ever happen. But who knows.

I'm going to add support for a different Forth one of these days, possibly GForth but I don't know if that's 64-bit. I'd rather use free software. (Which SwiftForth isn't.)

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

It's still possible to build and run 32-bit apps on 64-bit MacOS, though Apple are in the process of phasing them out [developer.apple.com].

Wasn't aware of that. All I meant by my comment is that since Allegro supports OSX 10.6+ only, and 10.6 is 64 bit only (sans the 32 bit caveat above), Allegro is also 64 bit only. One issue is that homebrew doesn't support compiling for 32 bit, so I think the best thing one can do is attempt to compile all the dependencies + Allegro manually.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Go to: