Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » 3D game design + my skybox works!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
3D game design + my skybox works!
Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

What about the 2.0 spec? Isn't there a WebGL 2?

Sure seems supported to me...

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/WebGLVertexArrayObject

Any modern OpenGL implementation that does not support VBO/VAOs is quite honestly useless. It's not like they're new. VAOs have been in the OpenGL core since 3.0, which has been around a while now.

This is why I like C + OpenGL. Add to that the GLEW which takes care of all extensions your system supports for you so you can just use the commands... and you have a really nice system to develop on. Use Allegro, SDL2, GLFW etc... something portable for your front end and anyone can use it.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

WebGL 2.0 is indeed a thing, but it is not fully supported across the board, so I can't reasonably rely upon it for my needs just yet.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

You're not selling me on using webpages for my games here. ;)

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I'm not trying to. You obviously aren't a Web guy, otherwise you'd know how these things roll. Do whatever you like. New technologies on the Web progress at a crawl. That's nothing new. You have to wait for the major vendors to adopt said technologies before you can expect them to work across the board. For example, IE did next to nothing for the better part of the last decade, which ultimately lead to its demise but also slowed innovation. So WebGL has been around for like 5 or 6 years now and has ~98% support across the board (desktops, smartphones, tablets, and video game consoles). WebGL 2 is much newer and only has ~41% support across the board. I suppose I should know better than to mention Web technologies on a forum all about native tech.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

My point being, you did try and convince me that it was a good way to go, no worries about which platforms it is run on... except... you do worry. About which browser it is run on. As a result, you have to avoid what is an easy solution.

I really don't see the difference between that and having different operating systems to program C + OpenGL for. Except I only need to throw Linux on a Virtual machine or maybe another partition or... whatever... and recompile my project for it (using cross platform tools, as I do). But I have full support for the latest OpenGL and I can include GLEW in my project and it will take care of how to handle what your platform supports for me.

Anyhow, if you enjoy it, have at it. it's what I always say, program what you enjoy, but... I wouldn't exactly push it as a better alternative. Seems to have some similar problems. ;)

---

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

New technologies on the Web progress at a crawl.

wtf.

I dare you to name the current "popular" "obvious" Javascript framework everyone is using, because of how fast and often they replace the previous. :)

jQuery? Old mans game.

React? Old.

Node? Old.

Going to Hacker News and seeing "omg why isn't everyone using [Framework that's 6 months old]" is a regular occurrence.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

I dare you to name the current "popular" "obvious" Javascript framework everyone is using, because of how fast and often they replace the previous. :)

Web standards and their implementation progress slowly, 3rd party frameworks not so much.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

taron  said:

Web standards and their implementation progress slowly, 3rd party frameworks not so much.

Yeah, I was referring to Web standards. But anyway, do whatever you best suits you. I wonder how Edgar is doing with his 3D maze.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I wonder how Edgar is doing with his 3D maze.

I may give this a shot myself just for fun. Should be fairly simple.

I already understand how various maze generation algorithms work, could be fun to do it in 3D, using a 2D grid of blocks. Hmmm... you could do this with WebGL! Lets see what you can whip up! ;)

---

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Nice!

---

1   2   3   4