Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Any plans for upcoming speedhacks?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Any plans for upcoming speedhacks?
Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

hand

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

hand

Even though I may not be able to enter, but just in case.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Being able to use the TINS website would be great, amarillion, thanks. ;)

I think we should be able to research what we want to do before the compo starts.

Also, we should make a starting entry that is a snapshot of the source code as you start with, and then take a snapshot at the end, and make a diff of the differences.

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

I'm following this thread. May be I'll join it.

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Hand ! I was in a cave for the last few weeks.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Ok, the competition page at the TINS site has been opened!

If you have an account, you can log in here
https://tins.amarillion.org/accounts/login/

After logging in, you can join the competition here:
https://tins.amarillion.org/join/

If you don't have an account yet, simply create one here:
https://tins.amarillion.org/accounts/register/

I changed the dates to 12AM friday to 12AM monday. Just to stick with the TINS/Speedhack tradition. Keep in mind that the daylight savings time switchover is coming (Or already happened in America I think).

The rules page still has placeholder text at the moment, I will refine it in the coming days.

To come back to Edgar's question about research. I think you should be free to do a lot of things before the competition starts.

This is an informal hack, and the main goal is to motivate ourselves to do some game development! I think the deadline is strict, but I'm open to let the start time be more of a guideline than a hard rule.

I also wonder what we want to do about voting. For me, the most interesting thing would be to get reviews for all the entries, I don't really care if we pick a winner or not.

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

Amarillion: Change the first link because it says "Error: requires login first".

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Thanks, updated. I suppose it should really redirect automatically, but I don't have time to fix that now.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

{"name":"611339","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/1\/6103393c694bbcf593f5088fb0a348a2.png","w":876,"h":80,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/1\/6103393c694bbcf593f5088fb0a348a2"}611339

What's the time zone?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

UTC

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Joined 8-)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Hmm.. I might join.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

@Chris Katko

Hmm.. I might join.

This is a mite :
{"name":"dust-mite.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/7\/574a96fabf4ae6f54cb1b25044a17440.jpg","w":2550,"h":1860,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/7\/574a96fabf4ae6f54cb1b25044a17440"}dust-mite.jpg

Don't be a mite.

EDIT
I joined!

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Service announcement: the TINS website is down for a bit. Django updates screwed me over. Don't panic, I will fix this ASAP.

The TINS site is back again, I managed to downgrade the dependencies back to a stable version. Sorry for any inconvenience.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Pesky dependencies. >:(

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

So, do you all know what game you are going to resurrect?

I have several options and I'm still undecided. I'm considering

Which one would you like to see resurrected?

By the way, the message logs are already open: https://tins.amarillion.org/resu18/log/

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

So many options.

I want to choose something that will leave me with an improved codebase for the future. That'll be with most projects, regardless.

Easiest thing that comes to mind is The Path. It never matured to the graphical masterpiece that I had intended to deliver. Maybe I can finally make that happen. Reborn.

It was also my last attempted EasterHack project in 2017. 😬

I use gradient circles to represent explosions, and it would be a perfect chance to learn shaders.

Awesome!

--

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I'm going to try to resurrect BIG GUNS, possibly one of my favorite games made in Allegro. I managed to find the source code for one of its old versions, about 10K lines of DOS C in one file, for Allegro 3.1. I might opt to just use the code as a reference and re-write it all from scratch. Here's a screenshot of a newer version which still exists on the Depot:

{"name":"611362","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/a\/9a56ae35f8641f3b80460aae5528ed20.png","w":640,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/a\/9a56ae35f8641f3b80460aae5528ed20"}611362
{"name":"611363","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/d\/1d7eb85f20f70c0c098ce68d9af376df.png","w":640,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/d\/1d7eb85f20f70c0c098ce68d9af376df"}611363

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Holy crap, I remember playing that!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

SiegeLord said:

I'm going to try to resurrect BIG GUNS

That would be so cool 8-)

Which one would you like to see resurrected?

Hmm, I vote either the Fashionista or Time-Table.

--

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I started resurrecting our ancient teamhack game called Doomed in Easterhack 2017: https://tins.amarillion.org/easter17/log/4128/

Last year I completely rewrote the code but ran out of time to make something that can run. I plan to work on that for a bit again this weekend. My goal is to have something that compiles and runs!

And has at least as much gameplay as the original one had (which isn't much at all as we ran out of time for the original teamhack as well...)!

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Elias said:

My goal is to have something that compiles and runs!

An admirable aspiration!

--

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

An admirable aspiration!

:P But well, I failed it last year, so no point really setting much higher goals this time.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

1   2   3 

Go to: