Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Thread doesn't lock too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Thread doesn't lock too soon
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Splitting the thread. Feel free to post two separate topics in both.

----------------------------------

Man, I should just say fuck it and buy Intel next upgrade.

https://youtu.be/nEz0ysFjzGU?t=3m20s

My current CPU hits around the bottom of that list comparable to the ~Ryzen 5 1400.

Meanwhile, I can get to the bottom of the Intel list (ABOVE all the current AMDs) for freakin' $129.99 for an i3-8100.

A hundred and thirty bucks and I get more than my entire setup AND the top of the next gen AMDs.

Pretty pathetic really. I love AMD being the underdog, but that doesn't mean I've got money to waste. Many of the synthetic benchmarks show AMD leading cost-effectiveness (and many server loads), but when it comes to games, single-threaded is all that matters and Intel apparently has it in spades.

[edited]

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

My current CPU hits around the bottom of that list comparable to the ~Ryzen 5 1400.

You're doing better than me. My i3-7100 only just outperforms the Pentium G4560.

edit:

In other news, my laptop decided to power down while Windows was updating and it wasn't able to recover so I had to reformat it. I'm away for two weeks and was going to use my spare time working on a cash programming job I'm doing. No problem, I thought, I have my source directory set to automatically upload any changes I make, so I log in to OneDrive to find that it hasn't backed up this one projectin over a week!!! It's been updating everything else, just not the one I wanted. Well done, Microsoft.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I can't count how many horror stories I have with Microsoft (as someone who professionally develops software for, and maintains Windows IT installations). They're getting worse as Windows 10/MS clamps down on users even more.

You've got this:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3-7100+%40+3.90GHz

I've got an AMD FX-8370. It looks great on benchmarks but AMD single thread is such crap that I'm barely able to keep up with my friends.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8370+Eight-Core&id=2347

Actually, if you look closely, your single-threaded BLOWS mine out of the water. :'( (37% difference!)

[edit]

Also, this is how my day has been going so far:

{"name":"8dOrzTR.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/b\/6b4e5f421462ae9d5c424410b951d60a.jpg","w":1328,"h":864,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/b\/6b4e5f421462ae9d5c424410b951d60a"}8dOrzTR.jpg

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Also, this is how my day has been going so far:

Ouch.

Thankfully, writing my response to you reminded me that I also had set Google Drive to backup my source directory as well, and it did work, so I have the latest version of my code. Now I'm just waiting for VS to finish installing and I'm back in business... hopefully. I would have been ok either way. This project doesn't need to be complete for six more weeks, and I've finished over half of it already (a week and a half in so far). I'm hoping to have it finished while I'm still on holiday.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

You can get a CPU equivalent to mine for $130. You'll get no pity from me. :P

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3-8100+%40+3.60GHz&id=3103

-----sig:

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

You can get a CPU that dwarfs mine for $130. You'll get no pity from me.

Unless, like me, he has a laptop with the CPU soldered in.

My current desktop is better than my laptop, but not by a lot.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I do stuff that I sometimes need "all the cores!"

Hell, I need to get in a position where I can start building my next system actually.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

LMAO, you guys complain about a CPU benchmark of 8000 - 9000? You should see mine! It's like, 2778! 8-)

https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=96523233480

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Neil Roy said:

LMAO, you guys complain about a CPU benchmark of 8000 - 9000? You should see mine! It's like, 2778!

If I run the test on my machine instead of just using the average for the CPU I get even lower!

{"name":"611233","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/a\/ba0c0789d00bb562196bf00c8e3a6ed1.png","w":800,"h":600,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/a\/ba0c0789d00bb562196bf00c8e3a6ed1"}611233

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

The important consideration is, does it do what you want it to? If so, than the speed is great. Mine does what I want, and it is getting VERY dated, like 7+ years old now.

I have only ONE game I bought that is too slow to play, but I consider that the fault of the game, as I ran the new Doom demo just fine. But I may do a minor upgrade.

I usually set a budget limit on how much I will spend (which usually is not that high) and then I see what i can get within that limit.

The last time I set a limit of around $500 and build a new system with that and limited amount of RAM and video. Then over the next few years I added more RAM as I could afford it and I waited until certain video cards came down in price. Eventually I ended up with 12Gigs of RAM and a GTX650 which I got for $100 new and it is DX11 and OpenGL 4.3, so I am good to go. I doubt I would change my video card out anytime soon... just mainly the CPU needs changing for me. I think t he next system I will build will be an Intel system for a change. I usually buy a part a month and slowly build it over six months so it doesn't hit my wallet very hard. Been doing that since the '90s. :)

Edit: Actually, I had a computer system given to me (two of them) that have Intel CPUs in them that are rated better than my own. They have fewer cores, but Intel's hyperthreading technology rates them higher. So I may just move my system into the new case for now for an immediate improvement at no cost at all.

Lenny, if you're system is that low, perhaps you can find one for free or low cost, second hand that would be an upgrade as people throw away computers better than both of ours. ;D

---

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Neil Roy said:

Lenny, if you're system is that low, perhaps you can find one for free or low cost, second hand that would be an upgrade as people throw away computers better than both of ours.

My desktop machine is ok enough to do what I want, but I'm on holiday at the moment so I'm using the laptop. It's of for internet browsing but that's all. I'm making it a working holiday though, and it's barely able to run VS.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I mean, I get it, different countries have different costs of living so say, an iPhone is actually "cheaper" in New York and California because their salaries scale with CoL but fixed price purchases like iPhones/cpus/motherboards/etc don't scale.

But how can I be the only one here with a reasonably good PC. It doesn't make sense. I'm poor as crap. I make like the bottom 95 percentile salary for my job title, and most of my money goes to medical bills. And I don't live in a high cost-of-living state (as far as USA cost-of-livings go).

And I'm not talking crap either, I'm just curious how so many people can be professional developers or IT and still have such old computers. (Or developing on a laptop?! The horror!)

I mean, I develop for fun on my netbook but it's for fun. If I worked 8 hours a day on it, I'd have carpal tunnel syndrome. I'd have to take breaks every few minutes.

There are developers out there with 24 or 32 core workstations (that they get for free!) that make mine look like a pile of trash.

-----sig:

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

But how can I be the only one here with a reasonably good PC.

Until a few months ago, I had a PC that I'd spent around $4K on parts for, and it was, as you can probably imagine, pretty kick-ass. Then 15 years worth of working in the hospitality industry while having both autism and a phobia of being around people finally took its toll, and I snapped. The result was a self-destructive rampage in which I tore about 90% of my possessions apart with my bare hands, PC included.

Since I'm now living drug and alcohol free, which was the only way I was able to function with the anxiety, I'm unable to work and so I'm broke as hell, and am using gifted computers.

I'm slowly making my way back to sanity and have managed to pick up one paid job writing this piece of software (the first time I've ever programmed professionally), but it's going to be a while before I can make enough money to afford to have a decent PC.

When it comes to different costs of living, et cetera, hardware and other technology is a lot more expensive here than in other parts of the world. An iPhone here costs around $1400 (1030 USD), while the average income is about $24,000 a year (after tax).

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I'm sorry to hear that. I've been on a rollercoaster of human agony from a chronic disease for the last 6 years and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone (not even a worst enemy).

That being said, I know you think it's faery magic, but I'll keep you in my prayers. At the very least, it can't hurt.

LennyLen said:

while the average income is about $24,000 a year (after tax).

Yeah... that's around mine for awhile. Just enough to not get food stamps/aid, not enough to actually afford rent/bills.

-----sig:

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Yeah... that's around mine for awhile. Just enough to not get food stamps/aid, not enough to actually afford rent/bills

Same. I'm on $,7200 (5,300USD) a year now, compared to the $70,000 I was on six months ago. I'd just taken out some loans a short while beforehand, so now my outgoing costs, which I'm defaulting on, are four times my actual income. I've filed for bankruptcy, but even then, with the court fines I have (which bankruptcy doesn't wipe) I'm only left with about $30 a week after I pay my rent. I'm moving in just over a month to a cheaper town, but I still won't have enough money to eat properly. Right now I only eat two or three times a week.

Instead of spending what little money I do have on food, most of it goes on nicotine. That may sound backwards, but in order to get the psychiatric help I need, I have to stay clean, and with a 25 year habit of heavy alcohol and drug use, I literally can't survive without nicotine. It doesn't eradicate the other cravings, but it keeps them at bay and the doctors and my pharmacist all agree that if I try to give that up as well, I'll fail and end back on drugs, which is a death warrant for me at this point.

I have transitioned from smoking to vaping though, which is a hell of a lot cheaper (especially since I was able to repair a broken mod unit a friend gave me), which lasted until this week. It's my birthday in a couple of days though, so my parents bought me a new one. I'm going to spend the money I'll get for the coding project I'm doing on buying enough liquid nicotine to last a year which I'll use to produce my own e-fluid at next to no cost and then I'll only need to buy the supplies to make my own coils, which will be about $10 a month.

I'm then hoping to make a generic version of my software that I can sell to other non-profits (I've seen similar software selling for over $1,000 per licence, which I plan to licence out at $400), since there's no way in hell I'll be able to work around other people for a long while.

After that, who knows.

edit:

I screwed up my income. That's my annual rent. My income is $10,000 per annum at the moment.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

LennyLen said:

nicotine

I actually get that. I understand letting yourself have a "vice" as the lesser of two or more evils--at least temporarily.

I let myself drink gratuitous amounts of soda (2 or 3 cans a day--used to be more). I should cut down, I plan to cut down. I know it'll kill my teeth (and I have genetic teeth problems anyway so I should be more careful). But it's my one little vice. My one sweet physical candy that picks me up in an otherwise pretty dreary existence. I can't go for walks most days. I can't enjoy a symphony (or even go to a movie without planning days/weeks in advance), or enjoy a sunset. So whatever pleasures I have, have to mostly come from mental stuff. Watching a comedy, or playing a game with friends if I can (if I'm healthy enough to be out of bed).

And 99% of all foods make me physically sick now so I can't really enjoy most comfort food anymore. Literally all food inflames my entire body and swells my joints (and my back--which I've already had two surgeries and 6-vertebrae fusion). Oddly, the "sugar water" of mountain dew (yet not coca cola--possibly the food coloring) is one thing that doesn't bother me that much.

I've actually started to lose weight (a "good thing" since I'm still overweight) because... well... I realized eating itself makes me sick. So I just don't want to eat anymore...

-----sig:

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I let myself drink gratuitous amounts of soda

I would be very worried about that. It could lead to diabetes as well as a heart attack to name the more serious effects of too much sugar. At the very least, you gain weight from it too.

I quite smoking many years ago and my health greatly benefitted, quit getting the flu and colds mostly and I have never had a flu shot in my life.

I used to be type 2 diabetic on four meds a day, but I prayed about that, done some research as well, cut out a lot of sugar and I am now fine. No more diabetes and no more meds... so... think of that what you will.

As for computer systems, I could probably have better, but I have just never been inclined to get the best. Besides, anything I develop on my system, if it runs smooth for me, it will run well for anyone else! ;) Though this year I may upgrade it finally, the CPU anyhow. But I will still stick to something at a low price range... a "best bang for the buck" type of deal.

---

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Just don't buy a videocard! They're going for over 2X the MSRP because bitcoin jerks are buying up EVERY videocard from the highest to the lowest tier. It's ridiculous (unless you want to sell yours maybe). nVidia is even pleading with retailers to stop selling to miners and leave stock for gamers.

CPU prices are still competitive (though they're no "10X faster than last gen" like they used to be during the CPU wars).

-----sig:

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I'm still rocking my AMD FX-4300, but I've been thinking about upgrading recently. I began playing Watch Dogs 2 yesterday, but my CPU is a huge bottleneck and totally tanks performance. :( I'm not sure what exactly to get, but I'll likely go with Intel. I'll need to get a newer motherboard while I'm at it.

Here are my benchmark scores. My CPU Mark score is actually higher than the average for my CPU.

I tried overclocking my CPU earlier today, and managed to go up to 4321 MHz before I ran into stability issues. It improved my performance in Watch Dogs 2 by a good several frames, but RivaTuner still shows CPU usage to be 100% (no surprise).

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I tried overclocking my CPU earlier today, and managed to go up to 4321 MHz before I ran into stability issues.

Mine is a triple core AMD Athlon II X3 400 - 3.00GHz CPU (old). I mainly got it cheap because you could unlock a forth core that is on it. I ran it unlocked for ages, but everyone once in a blue moon, on a Friday the 13th... there would be stability issues. Very rare, but I figured, I don't need it that much, so went back to default 3 cores.

The thing I learned about AMD 3 cores verses an old system given to me which has an Intel 2 core CPU, that for years I didn't understand, was that the Intel 2 core CPU I have here is actually faster than my AMD 3 core because of Intel's hyperthreading tech which basically makes each core like 2 cores. So a double core Intel is like a four core AMD.

So, I may finally switch to an Intel. I may even transfer my current system over to the Intel double core system I had given to me as the CPU benchmarks out faster. It would be a minor upgrade right off the bat, and takes the same RAM as my AMD system does so... we'll see.

In the meantime, I want to do like I did for my current system, and that I was I researched on sites like Tom's Hardware for systems which have the best bang for the buck, budget systems which are overclockable etc... it's how I built this system and it is still doing fairly well some 8 years later, and only cost me $500 for the new system and then some minor memory and GPU upgrades later.

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Despite overclocking, the CPU Mark score is still below the "world average":

{"name":"611238","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/6\/3620729d504bcb71ba63dc219286faa0.png","w":786,"h":593,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/6\/3620729d504bcb71ba63dc219286faa0"}611238

Neil Roy said:

the Intel 2 core CPU I have here is actually faster than my AMD 3 core because of Intel's hyperthreading tech which basically makes each core like 2 cores. So a double core Intel is like a four core AMD.

Yeah, Hyper-Threading is definitely sweet. I particularly want an Intel CPU for emulation purposes. My GPU exceeds what is necessary to play games in Dolphin, but I'm bottle-necked by my CPU.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I let myself drink gratuitous amounts of soda (2 or 3 cans a day--used to be more). I should cut down, I plan to cut down.

I do also consume far too much caffeine (energy drinks if I can afford it, coffee with 2 tablespoons of instant if I can't). I used to drink about 20x the recommended daily intake of caffeine for years while I was a barista, and now I'm down to about 4x, which is the minimum I can do without crippling migraines as my body became dependent years ago.

My sugar intake is very high in proportion to other food types, but I've never been able to put on weight no matter how much I try as, like many autistic people, I'm hyperactive and burn through calories at a phenomenal rate (I'm about to turn 43 and actually weight less than I did when I was 13 - 67kg/148lb. I'm 182cm/6', which makes me underweight for my height).

For all my bad habits, I get sick less than anyone else I know. I might catch a cold every few years, but that's about it. I smoked for nearly 30 years and my O2 saturation was still at 130% the normal rate while I was in the hospital a few weeks ago. I've taken several overdoses that should have killed me, including a morphine dose that was six times the LD50 which didn't even knock me out, and I've always been back to normal within a day or two.

One of my friends who is a devout atheist claims that I'm the closest he's come to the proof of the existence of God (I've also fallen off a six storey building without breaking anything, but that was probably due to being high as a kite at the time, so my body stayed relaxed; I didn't even realize I was falling until I hit the ground). I've been stabbed twice, once in the abdomen, and one time that would have struck me in the chest, but I managed to get my arm in the way in time and was only scratched. I've lost count of the number of times I've been hit by a car, but it's at least 10 times. I also once took about six whacks to the back of the head with an iron bar without even chipping my skull or being concussed. I'm not sure how many bones I've broken as I don't seek medical intervention unless it severely limits my mobility. The only thing that ever really hurts me is my own mind. Oh, and bees. The little buggers will kill me if I don't get treatment.

edit: I forgot that I also survived seven surgeries so far, one that had a decent chance of being fatal, which was when I had an inguinal hernia that wrapped itself around my femoral artery. It's possible I might be immortal.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

:o Wow! I don't know, but if I were you, I would be praying and saying "thanks" at least! ;) Someone up high wants you alive for a reason. I wouldn't push my luck.

---

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

LennyLen, can you tell me after all that that you don't believe in guardian angels or miracles or supernatural powers? How else could a person have survived as many things as you have? Jesus must love you...

I hope you can end this cycle of self destruction soon and for good. What would Allegro.cc be without LennyLen? I sincerely hope and pray that you find purpose and meaning in your life, and that your life is full of promise and new beginnings.

You can always join us on freenode IRC at #allegro if you need someone to talk to. There's usually somebody awake on the channel. Unless you already are by some other nick. My nick is Modulo5k.

1   2 

Go to: