This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Favorite old threads
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I cannot remember any specific threads, but there have been a lot of great ones. That one you linked to is pretty neat. I forgot about that. :D Everybody loved me. :'(:'(:'(

In other news, I just might need to buy a Halestorm album. Sounds pretty up my alley, and I've never heard of them before.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Wow, that post was nearly 11 years ago.

There's only one thing I can think of that I've kept with longer than my marriage and that's allegro! Also, it's the only thing I've flirted with off and on since I got hitched as well. ;D

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Show Love!

That was a good thread. So many old names.

I wrote this at one point:

Quote:

That's the first time I've been called a youngster in a long time.

I had someone refer to me as "a young man' the other day. I nearly fell over in shock.

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

You beat me to it! Here are some more threads that are memorable for me. Perhaps they are for others, as well.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It seems Milk demonstrates how even in 2002 (nearly 16 years ago!) threads had a tendency to derail and keep on going. :P And it didn't kill off A.cc. >:(

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

That milk thread was hilarious. If I had happened to be drinking milk at the time, it probably would have come out my nose. :D

{"name":"fg-nose_milk.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/3\/830238b2b20e4ef7db6ed942eecf5c8d.jpg","w":512,"h":384,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/3\/830238b2b20e4ef7db6ed942eecf5c8d"}fg-nose_milk.jpg

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Good threads either die or live long enough to derail. It's the circle of life. I remembered another one (not too old, though):

I have never had milk (or any other drink) come out my nose. I have never had a nosebleed, either. I feel like I'm missing out on some key life experiences involving my nose.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

You can easily reproduce these events. However, I do not recommend it. It's actually quite unpleasant. It can totally ruin a few hours of your life. Just count your blessings while your run lasts!

Append:

In other news, a few children that attend my finacée's daycare have nosebleeds regularly. They're like 2 years old. The parents don't consider it a problem. It's really pretty sick the world we're living in. I can only imagine tomorrow... Imagine, 2050, average Western lifespan is only 25 years again. :P

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I thought you lived in the health care capital of the New World. America's the one with declining life expectancy.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I have never had a nosebleed, either. I feel like I'm missing out on some key life experiences involving my nose.

You're not.

Until I was about 16, the veins in my nose were right on the surface and I'd get 3 or 4 nose bleeds a week. I had to get my nose cauterized three or four times a year. Not pleasant.

The only key life experience involving noses is A grade cocaine.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

LennyLen said:

I had someone refer to me as "a young man' the other day. I nearly fell over in shock.

In the past couple years I have been increasingly referred to as "old man", which is really new to me as I am only 53, which I guess seems old to others, doesn't to me. I found the following meme which I may keep on hand for the next time it happens. :D

{"name":"611237","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/6\/764a135a88249aa7e123104ada66caa9.jpg","w":459,"h":360,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/6\/764a135a88249aa7e123104ada66caa9"}611237

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Neil Roy said:

I found the following meme which I may keep on hand for the next time it happens.

That reminds me of Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

LennyLen said:

Until I was about 16, the veins in my nose were right on the surface and I'd get 3 or 4 nose bleeds a week.

Were you able to control this power, though? My nosebleeding classmates could basically go to the nurse's office any time they wanted. It was a golden ticket.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Were you able to control this power, though? My nosebleeding classmates could basically go to the nurse's office any time they wanted. It was a golden ticket.

We didn't have a nurses office (is that an American thing?). I'd have to sit in class and bleed.

edit: But yes, I could make it bleed easily if I wanted to. All I had to do was squeeze it and it would start.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

I remember having a nose bleed during a final written exam at school. It was pretty bad, so I had to continue writing while more or less facing the ceiling in order to not bleed on the exam (was quite short on time). I sat in the front row and the teacher supervising us was exactly opposite facing me, but he totally didn't care. Although he looked at me there was not a single gesture or anything.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

If a teacher ever forced me to sit there while my nose was bleeding, my mother would have returned to the school and yelled his ears off.

There was one time a teacher refused to let me go to the bathroom so I ended up pissing all over at my desk. My mom had to come to school with clean clothes, you could hear her screaming at the Principals office all over the school! ;)

---

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Neil Roy said:

If a teacher ever forced me to sit there while my nose was bleeding, my mother would have returned to the school and yelled his ears off.

In the 80s, we still used the English style schooling system, which included corporal punishment, featuring canes, leather straps and other fun measures. I still have scars on the back of my hand from one teacher who used a metal edged ruler on me every time I used cursive writing instead of printing.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

English style?

Neil Roy said:

There was one time a teacher refused to let me go to the bathroom so I ended up pissing all over at my desk.

Good for you. I would have held it in like a wuss.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

English style?

The NZ education system at the time was modeled on the English education system, but behind by a couple of decades. By the time I left school, corporal punishment was being abolished.

I wish they'd bring it back. Most of the younger generation I've come across could have done with a bit more discipline.

edit: I have a book that I acquired from a friend's grandmother who had been a teacher in the 1950s-1960s titled "Educating Backwards Children In New Zealand." I miss the days when nobody had heard of political correctness.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Good for you. I would have held it in like a wuss.

I had no choice, I had to go badly and I had a fairly weak bladder at the time. I actually did hold it in as long as I could as I recall. The teacher was a b.i.t.c.h and should not have been teaching.

LennyLen said:

In the 80s, we still used the English style schooling system, which included corporal punishment, featuring canes, leather straps and other fun measures.

Yeah, I went to school in the '70s mostly. We used to go to the principals office and he would just tap this thick leather strap on his hand while talking to you and that was often enough to scare you into submission. The really bad students got it, but it was rare as most didn't do anything bad enough to warrant it.

I hated school growing up. Not because I didn't like learning, I loved that, but due to bullies. At one point I would skip school and go to the public library and spend most of the day there reading about radio electronics and eventually, when computers came out, I started reading books on programming them. For this reason I am a strong advocate of home schooling.

---

Go to: