Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » New Years Resolutions

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
New Years Resolutions
jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

My New Years Resolution will be a chord progression starting on a G major chord, followed by an A major chord, followed by a C major chord to build tension, and finally will resolve back to a G major chord!

What chords will you use to resolve you chord progressions this year?

But on a more serious note:

My main monitor is still 2K @ 144Hz, and I have a 2nd monitor at 1680x1050 @ 60Hz, but in the new year I only have 2 monitors because I bought a new mid tower case that fits on my desk but I needed to get rid of the third monitor to make room >:(
{"name":"611184","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/0\/109dc868542a9e39fd26c5a2207ca4ee.png","w":4240,"h":1440,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/0\/109dc868542a9e39fd26c5a2207ca4ee"}611184

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

3840x2160. =D

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

1600x900 @ 60Hz on my laptop and 1920x1080 @ 60Hz on my desktop.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Bb/F Db/F C/F F7 Bb

That's the ending chords of a composition I've not yet written, but I will do it this year. The melody and chords are ready, but I need to write it for a wind orchestra. It has a difficult 11/8 time (3+3+3+2).

My other resolution will be 5*5 pixels. A Microbit microcontroller and all that stuff, which I'll be teaching at school. Robots and midi instruments mainly.

{"name":"611185","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/0\/c09272d69df0d1ef4dc675c58778dfea.gif","w":668,"h":544,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/0\/c09272d69df0d1ef4dc675c58778dfea"}611185

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

My other resolution will be 5*5 pixels. A Microbit microcontroller and all that stuff, which I'll be teaching at school. Robots and midi instruments mainly.

Hey cool, I did that too. Just one day, as a volunteer. I got pics: https://twitter.com/mpvaniersel/status/915953658927382529

As for my new years resolutions:

1. Publish a game on any online store
2. Present a game at a conference

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

My actual new years resolution is to finish recording my album.

In 2017 I wrote 13 songs (melody, lyrics, chords) (well over 13 but 13 I want on this album)
Now I'm at the point of performing them for a microphone.
I'm starting with recording all the vocals with my guide piano then I will do the instrumentation which will probably mostly be electronic instruments since it is a pop album. AKA: it's all in 4/4 ;)

Here is a demo of the first song: http://www.mediafire.com/file/xni705c676hw476/End+of+Time.wav

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Sadly still 1680x1050... but I did get a sweet SSD and fresh Win10 install FTW. Makes my "old" Intel Core 2 Quad system boot the charm.... and power supply also had to be replaced. I suspect that was the root of all those BSODs the past year.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I'm rocking the terminal these days :). Have been making a framework with ncurses, so, right now looks like 204x64:

{"name":"611186","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/d\/edd98203d43ad0c7706d7a7454ea2fc3.png","w":2880,"h":1800,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/d\/edd98203d43ad0c7706d7a7454ea2fc3"}611186

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I don't make resolutions, but I may this year. To stay out of religious debates.

It would be nice to get a better monitor. I grabbed a cheap one and it feels it. I actually feel as though I was ripped off as my old monitor was an LED and looked good no matter what angle you view it from. I bought this one and it was supposed to be an LED, but when I got it home, I read the fine print... an LED backed LCD... which I felt was deceptive, so now I have the glare or whatever, hard to describe when viewed at the wrong angles. My old monitor, also a cheap one, never had that. This one is an LG, I want to see if I can buy the same model I used to have as you could view it from any angle without problems. Black stayed black, not shades of grey. The old one was an Acer. So this year, I will try and see if I can get the old model again, use this as a second monitor or something.

I'm rocking the terminal these days :). Have been making a framework with ncurses, so, right now looks like 204x64:

Awesome. Have you seen OneLoanCoder on Youtube? He has made some amazing games all in a console! You might want to check it out, he has some great ideas and all his source code is available. Check him out...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-yuWVUplUJZvieEligKBkA

I created my own text only game a while back just for fun. It generates random mazes and then you navigate them in "3D".

video

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Neil Roy said:

To stay out of religious debates.

;D

Quote:

I created my own text only game a while back just for fun. It generates random mazes and then you navigate them in "3D".

Cool!

I was once working on a live video to ASCII converter using Allegro.

{"name":"FpYc4vF.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/9\/c910456374d45d18ee86df1332acf1c2.png","w":800,"h":600,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/9\/c910456374d45d18ee86df1332acf1c2"}FpYc4vF.png

Mario Kart: Double Dash!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Neil Roy said:

Awesome. Have you seen OneLoanCoder on Youtube? He has made some amazing games all in a console! You might want to check it out, he has some great ideas and all his source code is available. Check him out...

Nice. Yea this is really cool! I just watched a couple videos on the ray tracer. I might port my ray tracer to ASCII, now :0

I'm finding ASCII-anything to be really rewarding and lots of fun. As a tool, it ties into anything, and it's really easy to make programs. I definitely want to learn some techniques for how to make more elaborate graphics, though, like pixel-art but with ascii.

I haven't gotten to the part with extended characters; that would likely open a lot of doors. :o

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I'm finding ASCII-anything to be really rewarding and lots of fun. As a tool, it ties into anything, and it's really easy to make programs. I definitely want to learn some techniques for how to make more elaborate graphics, though, like pixel-art but with ascii.

How about a video screen with b/w ASCII. Say the video source would be 640 * 480 pixels (yes, 4:3) greyscale. The ASCII window could be... well, something. 80 * 25? For each character place in one frame, the best character would be searched to fit the pattern of the pixels from corresponding area in the video source. A pixelwise error distribution would be performed, not from one pixel to the neighbour pixels in one frame, but from one pixel to the same pixel in two or three following frames.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Well, for OneLoanCoder, he raised the "resolution" of the console up really high so the characters are really small and then then the characters are basically like pixels. His video he done up to end 2017 was amazing, a game like Worms. I done up my simple "3D" text, but nothing like he came up with.

I think it is more rewarding, for the same reason programming was so much more fun in the 1980s and '90s. You were limited, it was a challenge.

Oh, he done up a Wolfenstien style 3D as well (all in console, with colour) that will blow your mind if you check his videos out.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Speaking of YT coders, you MUST check out Bisqwit:

He hacks old NES game password generators in real time, and other cool stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKTehwyGCKF-b2wo0RKwrcg

-----sig:

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

My resolution for 2018 is to finally learn how to care about myself instead of others. I shouldn't be here right now, as I took a massive overdose on New Year's Eve that should have killed me and even the doctors can't explain how I survived it.

I've managed to get over my anger at still being alive and have finally, after a couple of decades come clean with the people around me and let them know what's going on in my head. It's terrified a few people, but I now have somewhat of a support network instead of trying to deal with everything myself, which was always going to be impossible.

I'm leaving the hospitality industry, which isn't a good place to be for someone with autism and social phobia. I don't know what I'm going to do instead, but there's no rush. I'm cashing in on all the tax I've paid over the last 30 years and am on a government benefit and also have been placed on the register of service providers who look for work placements for people with mental disorders. I'm giving thought to starting to write again for a living and I've also started coding again and am currently updating some old CLI projects to C#/.net in order to keep up with modern coding practices.

Even if all I get out of this is learning to not sabotage myself at every turn, that will still be an improvement.

2018 will be the year of LennyLen!

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

LennyLen said:

My resolution for 2018 is to finally learn how to care about myself instead of others.

Religion is perfect for that!

;)

Funny thing is, I'm in absolute agony almost every day. But a couple days ago I watched a documentary on Martin Luther vs the Catholic Church on Netflix and somehow it struck me. That even with the shear amount of suffering I go through every day, maybe the true 'cure', is to stop focusing on it... to stop panicking and desperately trying to save myself from complete financial collapse, etc... and start focusing on other people first. It was apparently Luther's primary tenant he came up with in an ephinay. He had rejected all of the catholics "doing good works get you into heaven" [because Jesus already paid the price] and "you can buy salvation by paying for your sins to the church" and people were like "well, then what's the purpose in life if not to do good work?" and one day it struck him. To do everything you can to reduce the suffering of others in your life.

And as horrible my pain, and rational it is to "if still failing, try harder to not fail" maybe the solution is to just do my best and then focus on everyone else. People around me might not be in as much physical suffering as me (I have more "absolute pain"), that doesn't their pain doesn't matter at all.

-----sig:

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Religion is perfect for that!

Then perhaps it's time to bring back the Holy Church of the Tripping Fairies.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

See my edit. :)

-----sig:

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

LennyLen said:

it's time to bring back the Holy Church of the Tripping Fairies.

Why do you believe they ever left? The Awesome Power™ of the Tripping Fairies is with you, now and forever, and they will give you the Kingdom, The Power, and Life Everlasting.

... or maybe they're just the answers you need to get through the struggle :)

I haven't gotten a new monitor this year, so my resolution remains 2x1920x1080. I did get two new monitors at work, and they're ... bigger and nicer, but so much has happened I can't remember the numbers. Not quite 4K, but almost!

I've decided this year to
1) Take a selfie every day... (fuuuucckk)
2) Drink less alcohol.
3) Eat less sugar.
4) Smoke less cannabis. (interferes with programming, tbh, and I work for a company in SF now)
5) Bring Back Exercise. I was doing TKD last year, but stopped in September and didn't replace it with anything.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

See my edit.

I understand long term pain and what it can do. It's a major factor in the state of my mental health. My knees and ankles start throbbing after about 10 minutes of activity and are shards of glass after 20. This has been the case for the last 15 years and I've spent a lot of that working 12-16 hour days on my feet with only a couple of breaks. I also crushed a nerve in my neck that gave me constant agony for two years.

Mostly I just endure all pain as I'm self masochistic. I convinced myself years ago that I have to be in pain to make up for doing something wrong. Every once in a while though, rationality breaks through and then the pain depresses me.

What I meant by taking care of other instead of myself, though, was that I have a tendency to avoid dealing with my life by attaching on to someone else and making them the sole focus of my attention. They become more important to me than myself to the point where I can easily rationalize doing something that will harm myself if the outcome benefits the other person. This is obviously not a good thing.

The other thing I do to avoid life is drink a shitload as well as take a fair amount of other drugs. I'm on medication now that stops me metabolizing the aldehydes that alcohol breaks down to, so if I drink now, I'll get horribly sick. I'm also going to move soon, as I know far too many drug dealers in this town.

I'm hoping coding will cheer me up as well. It's one of the few pleasures I've had in my adult life. I picked up a job today to do a membership database for a non-profit organization, which they're even going to pay for. They don't even care if it takes a while as I explained I was doing it as a learning exercise.

edit:

Derezo said:

Why do you believe they ever left? The Awesome Power™ of the Tripping Fairies is with you, now and forever, and they will give you the Kingdom, The Power, and Life Everlasting.

They never left, the church just shut down for a while.

Quote:

4) Smoke less cannabis. (interferes with programming, tbh, and I work for a company in SF now)

This is a big one for me as well. Ironically, the area I'm moving to is known for being one of the major dope centres in the country.

5) Bring Back Exercise. I was doing TKD last year, but stopped in September and didn't replace it with anything.

I used to do TKD, but had to stop after I injured my knees. That was just after I got to red belt.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I think I will give up my dreams and become a bitter old man.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I switched from a 10 year old 12" laptop to a 7 year old PC with a 22" monitor. It's still old, but it's a hell of a lot better.

{"name":"611211","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/b\/4bac79abe1ed07f58414f8c794feb0db.png","w":1680,"h":1050,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/b\/4bac79abe1ed07f58414f8c794feb0db"}611211

Bob Keane said:

I think I will give up my dreams and become a bitter old man.

I was trying to become a bitter old man, but it was taking far too long so now I'm bitter
about not being bitter yet.

Go to: