Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Games like Master of Orion 2.. ?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Games like Master of Orion 2.. ?
type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

I'm an absolute fan of the game, as said in the title.

Now I googled a little games like it, and this looks really curious. "Battlecruiser 3000AD".

Usually it's not that difficult to get various games, but it's usually a story to find something interesting with exciting game play.

There are couple of old games, currently in mind I actually hold Master of Orion 2 which are really grand, and it's really hard to find anything like of either the same age, or newer.

Suggestions appreciated.

P.S:
I often recall when someone posted here Bitcoin surpassing 1$. I was like, uh.. WTF is this shit back then. Oh well. :(

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

https://endless-sky.github.io/

I don't know Masters of Orion, but endless sky is sfun space exploration and combat game regardless. I recommend it.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Ur Quan Masters is amazing and FOSS.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/urquanmastershd/

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Hah, I in fact played a game of MOO2 yesterday. While researching a few things about it, I came across comparisons to Galactic Civilizations (2). I've never tried it myself though. Personally, though, I prefer MOO1 to MOO2, as it had less of Civilization-style population management.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

aaah, MOO1

I still dream that one day I'll find thew time and energy to do a reimplementation through allegro just for the fun of it.

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Battlecruiser 3000AD, oh wow, I haven't heard that in many years. It has quite a history as I recall with lots of promises and lots of problems.

Master of Orion 1 & 2 are awesome. Don't touch Master of Orion 3, it is horrible and completely different than the original.

Ur Quan Masters is basically a remake of Star Control 2, under a new name with up to date graphics etc. Great game though. But nothing like Master of Orion.

Should boot up your favourite compile and library, like Allegro and try your hand at programming something like it. I have always wants to do something similar.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

I'd suggest Stellaris. I used to play Master of Orion II a lot. I spent 37 hours over the first weekend I bought Stellaris playing it :D

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

OICW said:

I used to play Master of Orion II a lot.

Same here. Used to play it multiplayer quite a bit. The multiplayer code was buggy at times, but when you got it to work, it was a blast.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

I've never played MoO so I don't know how it compares, but Endless Space 2 is free to play this weekend on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/392110/). I've been enjoying it a lot, it's a big improvement over the first game, although the combat is still lacking. The game has a lot of depth. I'm specially impressed about the political system.

There's also the new Master of Orion (http://store.steampowered.com/app/392110/), but I can't tell you much about it, other than it has high production quality.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Ur Quan Masters has consumed me, literally. It's grand, & great. Thanks Chris!

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

You're welcome! It consumed my life till I finished it!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Go to: