Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » [TINS 2017] The Tragedy at Space Lab #7

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[TINS 2017] The Tragedy at Space Lab #7
Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

{"name":"611095","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/0\/3051bcc5e10ba50a85a85531d4b6fddc.png","w":1022,"h":790,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/0\/3051bcc5e10ba50a85a85531d4b6fddc"}611095
{"name":"611096","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/d\/ad545fed943fb18cf73dda74a30e61fb.png","w":1027,"h":798,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/d\/ad545fed943fb18cf73dda74a30e61fb"}611096

Here's my entry! There's several pieces of disjointed functionality and unfortunately, not a whole lot of actual gameplay. I was just starting to scratch the surface in literally the last 30 minutes of the competition. Going to write up a more complete "the good, the bad and the ugly", but for now, enjoy!

The official entry.
A patched entry
The compiled (on Mac OSX) entry.

Patched Entry
A few minutes after I submitted I discovered a bug that crashed the lab screen where the morphing logic happens. I sent a message to amarillion. Above is the patched entry.

Features
Gifs
Move around the map with either arrow keys or a joystick. Shift to run!
Talking to aliens (press space). They say like 3-4 different things randomly and it tells you their vitals, but all vitals say 100.
Dancing characters on the pause screen.
Music.
Lab screen to combine two pathogens to form a new one.
An adjustment screen to switch out which pathogens are actively pumping through the system.
Logic impacting the system's gut/heart/brain/temperature factors based on the pathogens in the system.

Concept
One of the aliens was going to be the bad guy and it was your job to figure out who. They were making other aliens sick and to combat that, you would need to create new pathogens by combining them. This would eventually give you clues as to who the bad guy really is so you can convict him and save the station.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Those source links don't actually work, so I only tried compiling the one from the TINS website. I actually managed to compile it on Windows, with a few changes:

• No such thing as arc4random -> replaced it with rand

• No to_string -> replaced it with a trivial implementation

Unfortunately, the resultant binary didn't correspond to the screenshots as it had no 'Lab' button. It also segfaulted on quit, but that's not so important. Once I get at the up-to-date sources, I'll make windows binary.

Everything else worked, as far as I could tell though. I like the pause feature, hah. I like the graphical style of it (yes I know you used others' graphics, but the arrangement is nice) and the idea seems nice.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

The pause feature is certainly the best part of the entry. And also the least amount of effort of all the features. There's a lesson in there...

What do you mean by "Those source links don't actually work"?

I opened up my bitbucket repo too. No sure if that helps.

------------

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Onewing said:

What do you mean by "Those source links don't actually work"?

These two:

Onewing said:

The official entry.
A patched entry

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Alright, here's the binary compiled from the master branch: Binary. It still crashes from time to time, but now you can access the lab functionality! I liked the morphing implementation!

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Elias said:

These two:

Ah, I see. At home, I could click the links and get the attachments, so I was very confused. At work, clicking them does nothing. Makes much more sense now. :D

@SiegeLord: thanks for the Windows binary! I'll have some time tonight to play around with it and see if there's an obvious solution to get it to run like it does on Mac. Stay tuned!

...also, I used Widgetz in my game. Was easy to setup and getting going!

------------

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Just tried the pre-compiled binary on my MacMini... it worked after I installed glib (and Allegro), nice! Can confirm that the Windows binary is faithful to how it works on OSX!

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Promising game - nice graphics, and fun to play with the adjustment screen trying to see what creates the best prognosis for the system :)

You might have a bit of an off-by-one error in your rendering. The left column appears again behind the UI, shifted up one, as if your x loop is overshooting and reading the beginning of the next scanline.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Thanks for the feedback!

I was going to throw something on top of that to cover it up but that was lower in my priority queue. I knew it'd take some time to figure it out because I'm using allegro_tiled which basically gives me this:

al_draw_map(this->aMap, pos_x, pos_y, 0);

Either there's something I have to set for allegro_tiled to draw only so much, there's a problem with the actual map file or there's a bug in allegro_tiled. Another solution was to try al_draw_map_region. I would like to figure it out because tile maps are fun and could be useful for future hacks. :)

------------

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Indeed, there is a problem with the links in the original post. If I click them, I get nothing.

SiegeLord, did you make that windows binary on the original source or the patched source? For me it crashes more often than not...

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

This looks very nice. I wandered around in the space station but couldn't figure out what to do. In pause mode everyone started dancing to funky music. In the lab screen it seems I could combine some of the items into... combined items. But couldn't really figure out what I was supposed to do.

[edit:] I played SiegeLord's windows binary btw.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

SiegeLord, did you make that windows binary on the original source or the patched source? For me it crashes more often than not...

The patched version. I'll take a look, maybe I screwed up something.

Go to: