Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Private Server Hosting Options 2017 Continued :: ramhost.us?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Private Server Hosting Options 2017 Continued :: ramhost.us?
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Original thread: Private Server Hosting Options 2017

I'm still looking for a private server host, and only have about a week to pick one and get it set up before "downtime" (not that it really matters). I've found ramhost.us, which seems like a small host, but they sound otherwise good. The only bad review I've seen so far was from a guy committing copyright infringement on a massive scale that got shut down after being warned several times.

I'm curious if anybody here has ever used them and what your experiences were. It seems my hosting options are in Los Angeles or Atlanta, neither of which is very near to me. I'm not sure how bad my ping will be as a result. I guess I won't know for sure until I try it.

I guess I'll probably end up trying them for a month or two and see how I like it, unless we can come up with better options here.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

And what about DigitalOcean? I have been using it for two years now? and it's pretty good.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Thanks, AMCerasoli. Although I don't fully trust DreamOcean, and RAM Host did sound like a generally more privacy centric host, I decided to give DreamOcean a try. I was able to get the machine I wanted (mainly a lot more storage) for a better price without haggling over email. We'll see how it goes. Already I'm annoyed that we cannot install a custom system (e.g., your own image, installer, etc.). They also apparently will not allow a custom kernel to boot. You have to boot their own kernels. Which pretty much guarantees you cannot secure your data 100% because they could have anything in the kernel: key loggers, drivers that talk to the host machine, backdoors, etc. That's quite annoying. I'm not sure if RAM Host is different, but with past hosts, even VPS hosts I thought, I've always been able to install a custom system by myself.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I've had bad experiences with DigitalOcean.

First off, I created an account with them a year or so ago but never wound up creating any 'dropletts'.

Then a couple of months ago I got an email from DigitalOcean saying that if I didn't pay the balance on my account it would be suspended. I logged in and found that several droplets were created by what I presume to be a spammer.. I immediately changed the passwords of my DigitalOcean account as well as my email account. I created a support ticket at DigitalOcean to notify them that my account was compromised. This support ticket still has a status of 'New'and I have not heard from DigitalOcean since (aside from emails threatening to suspend my account over the balance).

My account there is currently suspended, apparently it was supposed to be deleted September 04th but I can still log in. I have tried to locate a phone number to talk to them in person to no avail. I have replied to their emails about my outstanding balance but so far there has been no response.

{"name":"611064","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/4\/8479f7af2d89969c4d302ab64d9501d6.png","w":1918,"h":993,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/4\/8479f7af2d89969c4d302ab64d9501d6"}611064

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I'm curious about setting up a web server on Amazon or Google Cloud. I ran a live test server online from an Amazon EC for awhile. I hear it's more "cost efficient" to go with a direct webhost, however. But I kind of like / prefer to run a machine down to the bare metal. And spin up a web server using something funky like Web.Py, or even D language's Vibe.D.

Google supposedly has a new "feature" where they charge you by the minute as opposed to rounding up to say, increments of ten minutes. So you can run much smaller batches cost effectively. But I don't know how much I trust Google, and again, it's probably overkill for a website...

I'd probably just host from my home server if it wasn't likely against my ToS.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

But I kind of like / prefer to run a machine down to the bare metal.

It's getting hard to find a "bare metal" host that is affordable for a developer or hobbyist budget. Cheapest ones I've been able to find are about $70/mo now I think, and the specs on them are nothing fancy.

I'd probably just host from my home server if it wasn't likely against my ToS.

I don't know about ToS, but my hurdle is a dynamic IP. I've used DynDNS in the past to get around that, but it's not 100% reliable, and it's a pain. My ISP will only issue static IPs to business accounts, which are more expensive than my current plan, and I'm worried that the service will be specialized and won't work well for gaming (I certainly can't afford both plans).

I have a personal website and server setup from GoDaddy. $200 for 2 years includes SSL, HTTPS, tons of server apps, personal server hosting in AZ.

Web site hosting is dirt cheap. Even root access to a virtual machine is pretty affordable. What's expensive is root access to a physical machine.

GoDaddy was my original registrar. I never used them for hosting. I eventually ran away from them because I got too annoyed by their chaotic UI. I could barely understand it. Just terrible UX. That was years ago so maybe they've smartened up, but I don't miss them.

Name.com remains a reliable registrar for me so far.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

chaotic UI

It's much improved now.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Go to: