Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » The many benefits of speedhacking

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
The many benefits of speedhacking
amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Hey, are you ready for TINS? It's only a month away you know...

I've had a busy summer, but I did manage to get some work on the TINS site done. Not much that you can see, I've upgraded the server, and enabled SSL for extra security.

As part of the promotion campaign, I wrote on my blog The Many Benefits of Speedhacking. Thoughts?

edit: by the way, I wanted to post on gamedev.net but I'm not sure about which forum to use. "My Announcements" looks like the right place, or isn't it?

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Great blog post, amarillion! I wrote a comment giving my thoughts about the post and about speedhacks in general. ;) I'll be sure to share the competition's link on Facebook and Twitter as we get closer to the starting date. I'm looking forward to it!

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I can't motivate myself to create anything anymore, let alone in a limited amount of time. ;)

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Speedhacks are the only time I can make stuff outside of work.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Thanks for the reactions, Eric! Much appreciated.

Neil Roy said:

I can't motivate myself to create anything anymore

Anything? Not even outside game development?

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Thanks for the reactions, Eric! Much appreciated.

My pleasure. :)

Neil Roy said:

I can't motivate myself to create anything anymore, let alone in a limited amount of time. ;)

Neil, perhaps working on Deluxe Pacman for so long has made you your skills grow stale. You should try making a "Deluxe Munchman" game next... maybe even for a speedhack. ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inowxh3yBUE

Even if you don't complete a full game during the time limit, you'll surely still come out with more experience than you had going in. And who knows? Maybe you'll even come up with an exciting new project to keep you busy. :) Just give it a shot. You have nothing to lose.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Neil Roy said:

I can't motivate myself to create anything anymore

I can't even motivate myself to take a dump!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

All right, I posted on gamedev.net. Please add some insightful comments to make me look less lonely :)

https://www.gamedev.net/forums/topic/692203-72h-speedhack-with-allegro-held-oct-20-23/

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Nice post! I responded on your blog and retweeted on twitter.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

The last speedhack I participated in was the very first one we had back in... 1999 was it? Man, time flies.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Can we get TINS listed on here? I don't know anything about that site just remembered from another thread that there was this website listing a ton of game jams... https://itch.io/jams

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

It's been added here: http://www.indiegamejams.com/

I'm not sure if we can get added to the itch.io list. It seems to me that in that case you also have to host the event on the itch.io website.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Ohh, nice, I think that's the site I was thinking of anyway - itch.io just showed up higher in Google results :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Go to: