Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Wiki's been overridden with indian spam

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Wiki's been overridden with indian spam
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Tomasu, halp! Indian spammers have taken over the wiki!!! >:(

{"name":"611040","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/7\/07f100c956c4bf2649d409feea2cb66b.png","w":794,"h":591,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/7\/07f100c956c4bf2649d409feea2cb66b"}611040

{"name":"611041","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/0\/f03868438b7bcbd023d8db028dce89f0.png","w":1844,"h":998,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/0\/f03868438b7bcbd023d8db028dce89f0"}611041

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

That's some high-quality, no-frills SPAM™.

If nothing else, this thread has made me realize there is an RSS feed for the wiki! Everybody subscribe, or you can't be my friend anymore!

Edit: Right here. Add it to your feed reader when the SPAM ship has sailed.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I thought we had this super secure setup where Tomasu has to manually add people who can edit :o Or did they use one of the many mediawiki exploits to just edit without having an account?

I'm still volunteering to enable our github wiki and retire wiki.allegro.cc for good btw. if fixing the spam issue proves too difficult and would mean another year or two without wiki like last time...

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I've more or less taken care of the spam for now. Some nice tools exist. The torrent has slowed down to a slow trickle, and pages are being restored.

I've decided the gmail auth didn't really help that much so I've re-enabled local wiki accounts, so people can create those instead of being tied to gmail.

There's new restrictions in place, like using renocaptcha, needing a verified email account to create or edit pages, etc. Some extensions for spam filtering and cleanup were added as well.

Elias said:

I'm still volunteering to enable our github wiki and retire wiki.allegro.cc for good btw.

Hey, I'm all for it if you think its reasonable to limit people to github accounts, and you can import it all.

I'm also willing to let someone else take over the wiki hosting if they think they can do a better job.

append: if anyone wants to volunteer for wiki mod let me know.

append2: if anyone got blocked by accident, email me or contact me on #allegro@freenode . I sincerely apologise. If pages in the spam reports didn't immediately jump out as not spam, they got left checked as spam and purged and their user blocked.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I'm also willing to let someone else take over the wiki hosting if they think they can do a better job.

Sounds like you're doing a fine job. This shit happens. I blame the spammers, not the host.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I've actually been ignoring the spam for like a month or more. ;D.

Haven't had the time or energy, what with the newborn baby and work, and home renovations, and all that jazz.

But once they started adding hundreds or thousands of pages per day the past week, I was like no, eff it.

I've added a few restrictions now on who can edit or move pages, etc.

any people that want to be able to manage spam and whatnot let me know and I'll promote you ;D

Also, if you want to convert your google based account to a local wiki account just go into your profile settings and ask to set a password and it'll let you and you can now login with that account+password.

Again, I don't really follow the forums anymore, so please contact me via email or freenode if necessary.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Is there any chance to resurrect my Allegro.cc-based Wiki-account by submitting an E-Mail-address to it so I can use "forgot my password" on the Wiki to turn it into a valid Wiki account?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Thanks, Edgar. Since Tomasu doesn't check here very often, I've sent him a note outside the forums.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Polybios said:

Is there any chance to resurrect my Allegro.cc-based Wiki-account by submitting an E-Mail-address to it so I can use "forgot my password" on the Wiki to turn it into a valid Wiki account?

I can link your accounts. Just gimme an email. firstname@lastname.ca

Tomasu, there are some errors on the A5 tutorials pages...

Onewing said:

Thanks, Edgar. Since Tomasu doesn't check here very often, I've sent him a note outside the forums.

Thanks guys! Fixed.

--

Go to: