Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Alternative IRC client if/when ChatZilla is killed off

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Alternative IRC client if/when ChatZilla is killed off
torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

{"name":"610985","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/a\/8a5a1dc41b88cd40f90fd338944c16cb.png","w":914,"h":725,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/a\/8a5a1dc41b88cd40f90fd338944c16cb"}610985

ChatZilla has been my favorite client for more than ten years, but its future seems uncertain now that Firefox is moving to WebExtensions only. I like ChatZilla's compromise between simplicity and features.

mIRC used to be the "standard" client on Windows, but I have never been fond of it. Too much stuff.

I tried KVIrc, which crashed twice during the first ten minutes or so. Then Quassel, which couldn't connect to Freenode. Not sure what's going on there.

HexChat is ok, but it tends to forget scrolling the view down when there's a new message. Annoying. And it doesn't have ChatZilla's nice multiline input mode (Ctrl+Up), but I guess I can copy and paste from an editor as a workaround.

There are some nice web based clients, but I feel they are a step down in general.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Yeah, but it seems a bit overkill to run SeaMonkey just for IRC...

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

I've been using AdiIRC. From all the IRC clients I've tried this one is the less crappy of them all. Yes, less crappy, sad but that's the best think I've found. It still has several annoyances. The UI is kind of a mess.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Looks interesting, maybe I will check it out. It's .NET, though. Using HexChat currently.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Yeah, I have been using AdiIRC too. Granted I don't get on much.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Man, I haven't used IRC in like... 15 years or so! Amazed people still use it. Had some good times back then.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I annoyed everyone so I stopped using it.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Whenever I log in, nobody is saying anything, so I do a "BREAKER 19!" and everybody chimes in for a couple minutes, but then I get the impression they want to go back to what they were doing.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

We thank you for that. :-*

Whenever I log in, nobody is saying anything, so I do a "BREAKER 19!" and everybody chimes in for a couple minutes, but then I get the impression they want to go back to what they were doing.

That's high praise for IRC.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

bamccaig said:

We thank you for that.

I was referring to Moosader's channel. Allegro had got to the point where it was always dead when I joined. Then you have channels like python and C++ that have so many users you can't figure out who they are talking to majority of the time. I should thank IRC for making me more dependent on Google and forums for finding solutions.

Go to: