Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Cool programming stuff you're watching / learning

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Cool programming stuff you're watching / learning
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Anyone check out Bisqwit's videos? There's something charming about them. He does programming videos, and reverse engineering old retro game password generators.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Bisqwit

video

video

I've also been watching talks by Andrei Alexandrescu, who works for Facebook and is a major contributor (#2 man) to the D language who also has many talks on C++ and programming in general. He also wrote pme of THE quintessential "new C++" (as opposed to C with classes) books. Modern C++, which is full of insane C++ template magic that makes me... hate C++. (Their dang templates are a second programming language bolted on top of C++.)

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Andrei+Alexandrescu

I also watched a video by Jonathan Blow. He wrote Braid and The Witness. For The Witness, he wrote his own language. Which is looks like C++ except it permeates all through the compiler. One language for the build system. One language for the game. He uses his language to write how the language itself is interpreted and can add new data types... or language constructs. He's able to compile a (IIRC) 50,000 line program in 0.5 seconds. (It might have even been larger.)

video

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

I watched a pretty cool review of "Thrust II" on the Amstrad....the guy says it's a reviw but it's basically him dying a bunch of times and swearing. Awesome work:

Thrust II "Review"

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Dizzy Egg said:

I watched a pretty cool review of "Thrust II" on the Amstrad.

I actually played that on my friend's Amstrad back in the day. I wasn't much better than the guy in the video was.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Anyone check out Bisqwit's videos?

I like his series on parallelism. That was an area that always interested me but I never really dove into.

The first video of his I seen was one where he made a Doom style game in C which was pretty interesting as well.

video

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Bisqwit made an OPL3 player. Someone should add it to DUMB. =D

https://github.com/bisqwit/adlmidi

For those who don't remember, one of the greatest soundtracks ever, Tyrian, was written in freakin' OPL format by none other than Alexander Brandon (Crusader No Remorse, Unreal + Unreal Tournament, Jazz Jackrabbit 2, Deus Ex). ALL IN MODULE FORMAT. (Unreal engine supported UMX, a compressed module format for music.)

video

video

video

video

video

video

video

Tyrian, being OPL3, is even more impressive because there were NO DIGITAL SAMPLES. Only tweaked FM synthesis registers to make instruments.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Hey! I've watched some of bisqwit's stuff! I too think I started with his 'Doom in C' video. Just two nights I re-watched his Chip8 emulator video (I had forgot I already watched it a couple months ago).

He said in the Chip8 video that he usually likes to build projects first and then film himself re-building them for the videos. This way his viewers don't see him spin his wheels (which he thinks would be boring). I think that's a good idea.

Another programmer I've watched quite a bit of is 'Dan Shchiffman'. I think he's a professor or something. His youtube channel is called 'The Coding Train'. I love his energy.

https://www.youtube.com/user/shiffman/videos

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Probably one of the most interesting video series I have watched that REALLY educated me on how CPUs work and is sort of about programming (you program this eventually by the end of this series) is Ben Eater's video series on building a computer from scratch, and I don't mean buying a case and CPU, but actually making your OWN CPU etc... this is REALLY amazing stuff he does here!!! You really understand exactly how a CPU works by the time he is done and even how instructions are created and programmed. Do yourselves a favour and follow this series, it's still ongoing.

video

Also, I watched really good graphics tutorial series I watched on advanced C++ and graphics. He goes into how to do modern opengl which I liked a lot. The game you create was a lot of fun to mess with. This uses Visual Studio, SDL etc... well worth watching. I'm a C person mainly but I liked this. I disagreed with a few things he done (he didn't make use of constructors and destructors as well as he could have I thought) but for the most part this is very educational.

video

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Go to: