1   2 
Allegro Wiki Is Back
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

You can probably use your existing Google email address (I did), but you'll probably need to pick a new username on the wiki.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

a.cc's username and password are not the same as the google email username and password. I don't see why you need to use allegro.cc's auth in any way.

Isn't there a way to just white-list a.cc email addresses? Or associate them with our allegro.cc user names?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

He doesn't have access to A.cc email addresses... What he probably has is a list of user names in his database. The SSO authentication with A.cc probably just passed over a token and maybe our A.cc usernames. Google doesn't know our A.cc usernames. Only our Google account. To have any way to match them, we'd have to somehow provide Thomas with a mapping of our Google accounts and A.cc usernames. But then how can he verify that? I suppose he could email the Google account with a confirmation request, but that's extra code that he'd have to write on top of the mapping code... And he's a busy man these days!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I'm sure there's a simple mapping from actual allegro.cc username to a.cc google email address. They're typically the same, minus some munging to get rid of capitals and spaces and such.

Whatever. If nobody is even willing to consider this, I'm just going to create a new account. And I'm gonna name it Thomas The Spank Engine.

All I want to do is associate my user name on the wiki (which is already there) with my a.cc google email address (which is already there). Making a new account and having Thomas merge it with the old one is more work than is necessary, and will take even more of his time than white-listing a.cc email addresses would be.

We can still sign in to allegro.cc - so it's auth can't be that broken. Besides, they're the same domain! wiki.allegro.cc should have access to the same cookies that www.allegro.cc does.

</whining>

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

So, we can't have our old user names, we can't use our existing google email addresses, and we have to make yet another new account with the wiki. Correct? Or am I missing something.

I can merge accounts, as I mentions already more than once.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

A.cc's authentication is working fine. The wiki doesn't have access to A.cc's database. ML has that on a machine half a continent away from the wiki, and Thomas [probably] doesn't have direct access to it. The way authentication used to work on the wiki was similar to how you can authenticate on A.cc using Google. A.cc doesn't get to look at Google's database for that. Your browser stores a secret token on one site and sends it to the other site and the servers communicate with each other in the background to verify the authentication.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Gah, merging accounts is a giant manual waste of time. I already have an account! Why can't I just associate it with my gmail account? I don't get it.

Mostly what Bambams said.

The old A.cc single sign on does not give me access to allegro.cc accounts in any way, other than sending the user to a.cc to login, it sends me back a token, which i then request the user information with.

Google's works similarly. With it's OAuth, you forward the user to Google's login, sends a token back to the site, which then uses that token to request user information from google.

The major problem is that Mediawiki's new authentication/authorisation framework changes how things work, and the GoogleLogin extension is a bit basic. It will allow a user to link an existing account to a Google user, BUT, and this is a BIG but... That requires the old auth method to work. It currently doesn't. The accauth extension needs to be finished, and it currently isn't. Nor do I care too much about doing it now.

I have no problem with manually merging accounts for people, and I gave sysop's and allegrodev group members on the wiki permission to do it as well. But I require anyone doing it has to make sure the user is who they say they are before merging accounts.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Could you merge Miquelfire and MiquelFire

I was wondering how I was able to use my username at first.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Ok, merged you two and SiegeLord into your old accounts (I hope!) it should be automatic for you fellows.

append: Just merged Edgar's accounts too.

FYI: Merging manually like this is actually less time consuming than rewriting auth providers and hacking others to work better, etc. Not a lot of wiki users that'll actually care about their old history.

--

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Gah, merging accounts is a giant manual waste of time. I already have an account! Why can't I just associate it with my gmail account? I don't get it.

Because clearly, this was all done deliberately to inconvenience you.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Well when you get ignored multiple times, you start to wonder why it can't be done.

You weren't ignored :P you were given answers multiple times.

--

1   2 

Go to: