Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Mingw & Codeblocks vs. Visual C++

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Mingw & Codeblocks vs. Visual C++
raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

Sometimes I don't even bother to use a compiler at all. I just use mingw32-make. Really streamlines the process.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Neil Roy said:

I click compile in Code::Blocks, and it compiles. Full Stop.

I bet you actually click build since C::B doesn't have a "compile" selection. :p

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

There's a "Compile current file" function, so technically a single file project could be compiled in full using that function once.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

VS and MSVC are not the same thing.

I'm assuming this is referring to MSVC6.0 and not the modern standing. Otherwise this is confusing in terms of modern programming. According to what I've found online, MSVC is used to reference Visual C++, but Visual C++ is now just VS and CL. Finding that online made it so that it reads (to me) as "VS and VS are not the same thing."

Can someone elaborate on that?

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

When it comes down to it, MSVC++ is just way more user friendly than MinGW and CodeBlocks are.

CodeBlocks is especially horribly. CodeBlocks is essentially shit, it has actual bugs where the IDE crashes, the document pane goes blank and the file cannot be opened unless you close the program, but it hangs on close. It's just trash. Codelite works better.

But even codelite is not as good as MSVC, double checking the underlying type of a variable isn't so easy, you can't just over over it and see the type name and the underlying typedef in a tooltip like you can in MSVC.

Usability of codeblocks, codelite, anjuta isn't THAT bad because they have tried to clone the menues and settings of MSVC, if you want to see a real cluster fuck look at old versions of xcode, or the watcom ide. They are basically spastic.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Anyone tried Visual Studio Code? It's a modern open-source source code editor... that only has VS in the name. Looks a lot like Atom (which I haven't tried yet.)

https://code.visualstudio.com/

It runs Linux, Mac OS X and Windows. Also... I'm gonna say it again, it's open-source!

Very very space efficient. Supports terminal-like commands for doing stuff like typing a one-liner in to install an extension--of which EVERYTHING is a modular extension. Language support/debugger, themes, highlighting and intellisense, source control, everything.

It uses hotkey commands, as well as that terminal language, for everything. It's super simple yet somewhat daunting at first. There's so much "new" stuff in there that I'm probably going to have to sit and watch a 10 minute video to really understand the ebb-and-flow of it.

But it definitely feels like its from the future / where IDE's will eventually lead.

Contrast it with Visual Studio's WALL-OF-MENUS and EVERY KEY IS A HOTKEY mentality. Then again, at least Visual Studio is the one Microsoft product that hasn't become Metro'd or Ribbon'ified. God, Outlook, Excel, CRM, and half their products are a steaming pile of dog turd in terms of productivity.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

m c said:

When it comes down to it, MSVC++ is just way more user friendly than MinGW and CodeBlocks are.

I couldn't disagree more. VS is a complicated pile of obscure options. User friendly it is not. Just because you like the MSVC++ GUI designer doesn't make VS user friendly. MinGW integrates with CB so much more nicely than MSVC does with VS.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

LennyLen said:

I bet you actually click build since C::B doesn't have a "compile" selection. :p

I stand corrected. ;)

m c said:

CodeBlocks is especially horribly. CodeBlocks is essentially , it has actual bugs where the IDE crashes, the document pane goes blank and the file cannot be opened unless you close the program, but it hangs on close. It's just trash. Codelite works better.

Wow, been using it for years now and never experienced any problems with it. Never crashed, never went blank... nothing. Works like a charm and is fairly simple to use.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

well maybe you built a new one from source or something but I was referring to the current one in ubuntu 16.04 repos this week. The visual studio really lets you navigate around your code quickly, and have a lot of small windows open at once all side by side

code lite is good because when you build and there is an error it jumps to that source file and line without you having to click it so you can fix it, ctrl-shift-b, it builds and finds and jumps to the next, fix it, ctrl-shift-b, it builds and finds the next, fix it, etc.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

m c said:

CodeBlocks is especially horribly. CodeBlocks is essentially shit, it has actual bugs where the IDE crashes, the document pane goes blank and the file cannot be opened unless you close the program, but it hangs on close. It's just trash.

I've also never experienced that. I do mostly use the Windows version though, so perhaps that is why. I have used the Ubuntu version a few times though over the years, also without any problems.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

m c said:

well maybe you built a new one from source or something but I was referring to the current one in ubuntu 16.04 repos this week. The visual studio really lets you navigate around your code quickly, and have a lot of small windows open at once all side by side

Nope, I download all mine pre-compiled only for Windows. So the problem is probably with the operating system you use. :)

Also, you're not using a stable release so don't be surprised when it crashes. How about using the stable release, 16.01?

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

1   2   3 

Go to: