Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » wtf

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
wtf
Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

{"name":"359abf811800b0bae080d119317026c9-1024.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/c\/1c344fd878562ad0438f7b8c60ab7118.jpg","w":1024,"h":650,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/c\/1c344fd878562ad0438f7b8c60ab7118"}359abf811800b0bae080d119317026c9-1024.jpg

Why. Why does this keep changing? It clearly works when I change it myself, but something keeps setting it to what I assume is default.

I use Youtube on my phone as well, but it's not like I access my settings from it. I guess the app updates sometimes but I don't know if that affects it or not.

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I noticed that recently myself. I went to do my monthly check of my emails today and found a ton of Youtube emails about replies to comments. I guess I'll have to go back and check that setting again.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

YouTube has gone to shit. I can't even read comments anymore because I can't figure out what's new and what's old. I just ignore YouTube comments now. I comment and forget, never to return or read replies. My mailbox fills up with them, but I have Google filtering them into a label that I never check at the bottom of the list so they can rot there forever without interfering with me.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

bamccaig said:

I can't even read comments anymore because I can't figure out what's new and what's old.

That is one area of improvement they have made. I notice now if you look at them, there is a little tiny dot on the left of the messages that appears next to new ones you have not read.

---

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Felix and Neil,

Do either of you use any third-party extensions that may have had some fine print permissions that might allow them to edit your settings?

I always have that particular notification turned off as sometimes I like to troll anti-vacc videos, which always results in hundreds of replies that I don't want notifications about, and I've never had it revert back to being set.

I have heard unverified accounts that Google does sometimes use specific geographical regions as beta testers, and maybe you're in one of them, and their changes keep breaking the settings.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I went back and checked and I found out the problem. I recently created a new Youtube channel and I needed to check the settings for it. I forgot about that, which lead to my emails. So no, it hasn't changed my settings back which is good.

---

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

LennyLen said:

Felix and Neil,

Do either of you use any third-party extensions that may have had some fine print permissions that might allow them to edit your settings?

No, but I use the Youtube app on my phone as well.

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

YouTube has gone to . I can't even read comments anymore because I can't figure out what's new and what's old

OH MY GOSH YES. The YouTube interface is COMPLETE CRAP. I'm freaking professional programmer and server administrator AND I CAN'T FIND WHERE REPLIES TO MY COMMENTS ARE. Every time I "think" I find it, I end up at notifications to my channel subscriptions... not actually the comments.

And why do comment replies show the name of the person they're replying to IN PLAIN TEXT at the beginning of the comment? Half the time it's hard to figure out what a comment is because you have to guess which 1/2/3 words are actually a username.

I've actually had conversations with my wife about how frustrating the UI is for a multi-billion dollar company with hundreds of millions (if not >1 billion) users, it's absolutely pathetic. It's like, "Does anyone at your company even use your product?!"

And why is it so inelegant to modify your playlists? Why can't you easily merge them or fork them with a subset? Why can't you easily change many videos without going through TONS of slowly loading heavily-javascripted webpages? If I want to convert my 30+ playlists to public, or private, I have to open each one individually through about three pages of heavy JS loading crap. And why can't my playlists have categories? Whenever I open my own page in the YouTube app, I only want TWO playlists to show (or at least have them FIRST), but no, the app DEFAULTS to "playlist with most recently added video" ends up at the top. So I have to scroll through ~20+ playlists, "Randomly ordered" (by most recent addition), just to get the two I always pick.

There's no way in hell I'm buying YouTube Red until they provide a proper UI, and stop shitting on non-politically correct videos/channels.

[edit] And WTF are they doing with the UI? Every time they change it.. IT GETS WORSE. I just loaded it up and here it's changed again. My playlist view has NO GRID SEPERATORS and NO COLOR CHANGES between videos. So it's just white... with tons of text. So it's even harder to tell the "border" between one grid/table cell from the next when scrolling or on a large, low DPI screen. (MINE!) And until the thumbnails load (which is super slow for some reason) all they show is TEXT. The thumbnail background is pure white (no placeholder) until it pops up. So I get like 5 thumbnails, and then nothing but text as I keep scrolling. And the playlist only shows THREE or so listings below the video I'm playing. So if I have a list with 670 videos, you think 3 is gonna be easy to pick from? It's like a flashback from Cable TV's "TV Guide Channel" where you got a huge ad and then a tiny two or three cells of scrolling text to try and read what shows might be playing.

{"name":"Ee77eqU.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/a\/8a5349c5f6a343b76eb195ee1aa801cd.png","w":960,"h":995,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/a\/8a5349c5f6a343b76eb195ee1aa801cd"}Ee77eqU.png

No grid lines and talk about wasted space!

{"name":"hqdefault.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/f\/8f257d66a5a8cabea35c928b220c506f.jpg","w":480,"h":360,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/f\/8f257d66a5a8cabea35c928b220c506f"}hqdefault.jpg

If I was a manager/lead developer at YouTube I would be pulling someone into my office for a "discussion" and demand explanations for the changes.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The managers/lead developers are most likely the ones who made these decisions. Who are you kidding?

YouTube is selling out to big media. That's what's happening. It's part of Google and the only thing that matters now is big profits. It isn't about making the service the best it can be anymore.

Go to: