Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » What do you think about Godot?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
What do you think about Godot?
Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

Never heard of this before ???

Godot

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I've been waiting for this one.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Every time I hear of a "does everything for you" library, I worry about it getting in the way or spending many late hours trying to figure out the docs how to interface with the API.

But that doesn't mean I'll outright refuse to use it. There just needs to be a huge amount of support and praise for it. Last thing you want to do is start a project, write it for ONE library (ala a website in Django) and find out it's not supported as much as you want, or has a glaring bug that will never be fixed, or confusing or gigantic API documentation. You get hundreds or thousands of hours into a project, and realize you've learned a skill that's not applicable to any other project or library and you're stuck. Or that there's a huge performance bottleneck!

I'm always worried about investing time into something and finding out it was a waste.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I've dabbled with it! It seems pretty decent, though I'm not sold that Python is the best choice to base your scripting language. At one time there were murmurings that the engine would also support C# as a scripting language but I think that will be a ways off (if it ever happens).

Still it was easy enough to learn and understand. I think it has quite a bit more power than something like GameMaker.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Go to: