Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » What are you currently playing?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
What are you currently playing?
Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I've been having a blast playing The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion recently. Bethesda sure does a great job at designing worlds that are fun to explore. Like in Skyrim, there are loads of places to visit, people to meet, and dungeons to clear out in Oblivion. There are lots of books to read, too, which I enjoy. It bugs me more than it probably should when there are spelling mistakes or when "it's" and "its" are transposed in in-game books though, which there seems to be a lot of... >:(

{"name":"BF44CCCB36AF771E9CA0F71FF5794BFA680DFC3D","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/1\/21842a3fe84f0c073a0ab95b579e4d2b.jpg","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/1\/21842a3fe84f0c073a0ab95b579e4d2b"}BF44CCCB36AF771E9CA0F71FF5794BFA680DFC3D

Anyway, what are you playing? :D

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I started on Skyrim too, and bought Morrowwind and Oblivion afterward to expand on it when I ran out of content in Skyrim. Alas, I tried to go in order, and Morrowwind does not age well for a new player. :) I stopped after that, in part because I eventually switched to Linux again (though I have had some success running Skyrim on Wine). I should probably give Oblivion a chance next time and see if I get further (though I think I might have started it and wasn't feeling it at the time). I don't really have time to catch up to old games like this though. It's hard enough to keep up with now. I really want to play The Witcher III, but I don't know if even my j0rb laptop would handle it, and it's Windows only so I couldn't even try on my desktop.

I mostly play Counter-Strike. It used to be Source, but now it's Global Offensive. I have about 1300 hours into it so far and still going. :) I have about 3700 hours logged in CS: Source, and they didn't start recording that until I had played for a few years. For reference, I have 634 hours logged in Skyrim and I pretty much sapped all I could out of that.

For new games, I recently bought Layers of Fear. I started on that. It was actually pretty scary. So much so that I was actually worried about playing it. Which has never happened before. Part of that might have been scotch induced. :) I can't currently recall why I was so afraid. Maybe the game relies on your own fears and demons to achieve the effect.

I also just bought Space Engineers. That is Windows only so I can only play on j0rb laptop, but I did start out on the sort of beta mission, which is actually several chapters long. Not a bad game, albeit, I don't think the physics are particularly interesting. It will be interesting where it goes. Not sure if I have the time to come along for the ride though.

I really just enjoy trying to get better at Counter-Strike! It amazes me how some of acquaintances from CS: Source were in their 50s, 60s, and maybe even a few 70s. I don't think I'd still be able to play by then! Most nights I come alive for a few matches and then I get tired and drop off the scoreboard. Usually a single competitive CS:GO match is enough to tire me out.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

{"name":"610867","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/7\/b7b796a5a7c77cff1d8e629bbbd18bdb.jpg","w":2448,"h":3264,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/7\/b7b796a5a7c77cff1d8e629bbbd18bdb"}610867

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Human Resource Machine on the Nintendo Switch. It's a bunch of fun. I have Breath of the Wild, too, but I want to finish my Super Secret Project(tm) before I spend too much time on it. If it's like Pokemon Sun, I'll spend 70+ hours in a week on it until I win it, neglecting everything else...

And I want to play RuneScape, an online MMO, again, but I've been busy. I log in every couple days and play for 10-20 minutes before I log off. Started in late-summer/early-fall 2004, and I've had a concurrent membership subscription for the last 6 years. Haha. :'(

torhu said:

Mostly Broforce lately, easy fun.

Broforce is a blast. I played through it with my brother. Of similar games, I have Crawl, on Steam, but don't have a Windows installation right now. Want to get it for the PS4 so I can play with my brother.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I've been playing Yooka-Laylee, which I helped Kickstart. It's a N64-style retro platformer.

These are some shots I took from the first level.

{"name":"610868","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/2\/f294b992948738b55bf5ccfde81f0ee7.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/2\/f294b992948738b55bf5ccfde81f0ee7"}610868
{"name":"610869","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/5\/15045f847297ea0799eccad3715ce6af.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/5\/15045f847297ea0799eccad3715ce6af"}610869
{"name":"610870","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/7\/87b1c61c800272d234af5f516ed06b6f.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/7\/87b1c61c800272d234af5f516ed06b6f"}610870
{"name":"610871","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/e\/cebe200a13cda58919e79819ad5ff9f7.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/e\/cebe200a13cda58919e79819ad5ff9f7"}610871
{"name":"610872","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/f\/3f7530bc6939034e5573e15e18609424.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/f\/3f7530bc6939034e5573e15e18609424"}610872
{"name":"610873","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/d\/3d6d0e3f63f5a8d1057bcaaa93d5a864.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/d\/3d6d0e3f63f5a8d1057bcaaa93d5a864"}610873
{"name":"610874","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/e\/cec36728e208679ab66f6328754d249d.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/e\/cec36728e208679ab66f6328754d249d"}610874

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

bamccaig said:

For reference, I have 634 hours logged in Skyrim and I pretty much sapped all I could out of that.

Wow! :o I only have about 75 hours in Skyrim. I got bored after completing the main quest (which was surprisingly underwhelming) and moved on to other games. I haven't even explored most of the western side of Skyrim. Did you complete all of the DLC, too?

You should definitely give Oblivion another go. It holds up surprisingly well considering its age. The exploration and dungeon-clearing is just as fun as it was in Skyrim, though the NPCs are noticeably shallower. Even the graphics look nice. I'm using a mod to increase the texture resolution though. I actually prefer the greens of Oblivion to the browns of Skyrim. Skyrim certainly looks better in general, but I found the plains of Skyrim to be visually dull. So far I find Oblivion's perpetual forest to be more visually appealing than Skyrim's plains and dull browns. But that's just me.

Oblivion is pretty cheap on Steam right now. I have Game of the Year Edition, which includes two of the DLC expansions. I'm only 22 hours in and have just been exploring. I hear the Shivering Isles DLC adds 30+ hours to the game. So long as I don't get bored, I imagine Oblivion lasting me 100 hours. That's just vanilla content at that. Mods can add so much more.

@Johan: Nice! :D Not to brag, but I play a mean electric triangle. 8-) We could form a band!

torhu said:

Mostly Broforce [broforcegame.com] lately, easy fun.

I've heard of that before, but haven't played it. It looks like great over-the-top fun. :D

Aaron said:

And I want to play RuneScape, an online MMO, again, but I've been busy. I log in every couple days and play for 10-20 minutes before I log off. Started in late-summer/early-fall 2004, and I've had a concurrent membership subscription for the last 6 years. Haha. :'(

RuneScape was great fun back in the day! I can feel the nostalgia flow over me now. ;D I also started playing around 2004. So many great memories of slaying monsters, baking pies, and exploring the wilderness. Are you playing RuneScape 3 or oldschool? I made a new account after years of not playing when they made oldchool free to play. So much fun.

LennyLen said:

I've been playing Yooka-Laylee

I've heard mixed opinions about Yooka-Laylee. Is it worth picking up?

Edit
Anyone care to be Steam friends? Send me a friend request if so: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ecjii/

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

I recently got an nvidia shield and loaded it with retro emulators :P its also got some decent streaming games but kids mosly play hungry shark ;D

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

Broforce is great. Anyone else here have a PS4? Not just for Broforce—when I play multiplayer games I usually play Watch Dogs (the first one) but I also wish I could find more players for Risk of Rain.

Oh, and Terraria. The console ports are expecting an update soon (so they aren't embarrassingly behind the PC version, like so many ports -_- )

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Are you playing RuneScape 3 or oldschool?

I play RuneScape 3. The only reason I played when OSRS wasn't old school was because of the clan I was in and quests. I've done all the quests and the clan has been disbanded for 5+ years now, so I never got back into OSRS.

(To be fair, some of the recent updates do look interesting. I'd like to give it a try again when I finish my project.)

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I don't play anything anymore... honestly I think it's been a few years since I even touched a console game. :-/ I have an XBOX 360 but don't play it. Last thing I played on the PC was Dungeons of Darkness, by our fellow allegroite Evert and XOP Black by another member, Christopher Emirzian.

And you probably won't see me game much unless a PC D&D game comes out. Can't get enough of it. ;)

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I've heard mixed opinions about Yooka-Laylee. Is it worth picking up?

If you enjoyed games like Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie, then yes. The gameplay formula is pretty much identical to BK, but with modern graphics and much bigger worlds. I read one quite well balanced review that described their duplication of the 90s gameplay as both games biggest strength and weakness, with which I agree, and it's probably the reason for the mixed reviews.

I also can't play games that require physical dexterity and timing for long as they tire me out very quickly, so Yooka-Laylee is good in that it doesn't take long to do individual tasks.

edit:

I do remember reading a few reviews of the game that unfairly criticized the game's ranged weapon system, saying that it was nearly impossible to tell what you were aiming at. I'm guessing they didn't figure out how to enter targeting mode.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I play RuneScape 3.

Do you enjoy it? I tried RS3 when it debuted a while back and didn't like it. It's visually superior to OSRS, but I dislike some of the core game-play changes. But that was a while ago, so maybe things have changed.

Also, are people still advertising "buying gf 20k"? :P

I don't play anything anymore... honestly I think it's been a few years since I even touched a console game. :-/

Let's have a moment of silence for Edgar, everyone... :'(

Okay, enough silence. Any reason for the lack of gaming?

LennyLen said:

If you enjoyed games like Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie, then yes.

I've never played Banjo-Kazooie, as I've never owned an N64, but I have played Super Mario 64 DS (the DS port) and enjoyed that. I'll add it to my Steam wishlist for later.

Oh, I hear that Yooka-Laylee has fewer worlds than Banjo-Kazooie. Is that true? And if so, does it hinder the game length at all? Maybe the bigger worlds make up for it?

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Oh, I hear that Yooka-Laylee has fewer worlds than Banjo-Kazooie. Is that true? And if so, does it hinder the game length at all? Maybe the bigger worlds make up for it?

I'll let you know when I'm further through it. I've been sick and run down this week, so I'm limiting myself to strategy games so that I don't have to concentrate too hard.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Mainly playing Breath of the Wild on the Switch. Also the latest Box Boy game for the 3DS.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Human Resource Machine

I got that a month or two back and loved it as well. I think I still have another 10 or so programs to write, plus probably the last half to try to get optimization bonuses (that becomes a really big challenge, at least for me). At the level that I'm at it is actually becoming a challenge to even solve the problem at all. It really is a great game, but I question whether a non-programmer would be able to play it.

Quote:

Yooka-Laylee

That looks fun! :) Thanks for sharing. I probably shouldn't buy it just because I probably won't get to it, but it looks quite nostalgic to me.

Wow! :o I only have about 75 hours in Skyrim. I got bored after completing the main quest (which was surprisingly underwhelming) and moved on to other games. I haven't even explored most of the western side of Skyrim. Did you complete all of the DLC, too?

When I play that type of game I avoid main quests until I complete side quests. Partially an "OCD" type of thing. I hate having side quests collecting and not getting done. I completed the main quests only when I ran out of side quests. Yes, that includes all of the DLC as far as I know unless they released more after I was done, but I doubt it. That also includes a little bit of screwing around and experimenting with mods. *ahem* The "adult" themed mods add a bit of motivation to the game, but also tend to distract you from playing the game. I never bothered with any of the "adult action" mods because they looked so immersion breaking, but I'm sure work has improved on that front since. :D Plenty of time was just spent clearing every dungeon and collecting as much "stuff" as I could find. Mind you, lots of time was also wasted in the beginning just carrying loot back to towns. I eventually broke down and used the developer console to give me much more carrying capacity just to save me the trouble.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

LennyLen said:

I'll let you know when I'm further through it.

Sounds good.

Mainly playing Breath of the Wild on the Switch.

That's a good one. How's the performance on Switch? I own it on Wii U, where it drops frames more frequently than I'd like.

bamccaig said:

*ahem* The "adult" themed mods add a bit of motivation to the game

Oh, gotcha--the Tamriel Tax mod sure is nice for adult gamers. ;) Anyway, I don't think that'd work out too well in Oblivion, what with the disfigured, melted-looking people and all. :P That's pretty incredible though, the amount of time you've poured into the game. Have you looked into Tamriel Online? Apparently it features several of the major areas in TES games, like Skyrim and more recently, Morrowind (I think).

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Never heard of Tamriel Online, but it sounds like a LAN game. You need friends to make that work and I have relatively few friends, fewer that would interested, and fewer that have time (let alone my own free time). Besides, that type of game tends to just be a time waster. You lose hours without actually doing or achieving much. At least with Counter-Strike, the wins and losses are swift. You don't spend hours working towards something.

Sounds a bit like Dota and that sort of stuff. There was a "survival" game I saw a guy playing the other day on twitch. I forget what it's called. But I guess people just spawn into the world with nothing and then their job is to survive. Of course, the only way to survive is to gather supplies: food, water, clothes, gear. And of course, these things are useful to everybody else trying to survive so you better find some weaponry and medical supplies too! I watched this guy play on twitch for probably 20 or 30 minutes. Very little happened in that time. And they all took it so seriously. Not only would you probably need to become a meth addict to even be so active for so long, but you'd need to live on welfare or something to have the time. It just isn't practical for the average adult man in our society.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

So as it turns out, I was mistaken (crazy, I know!); the correct title was "The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited" not "Tamriel Online". My bad. :-X

There are a bunch of games like that. Maybe it was Rust?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Ah, see, I initially assumed it was going to be an MMO. And I had started a paragraph on how impractical that was for me. A LAN game is more practical simply because it would likely have a shorter lifespan: a few hours or maybe the occasional weekend. Whereas an MMO typically requires just hours and hours of grinding and constant gameplay. It just isn't realistic for a full-time working adult to thrive in a game like that, especially when competing with kids and part-time/unemployed adults.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I'm playing through the campaign of Age of Empires (+ Rise of Rome expansion + some community patch), it's pretty sweet.

Also still going through Deus Ex, somewhat slowly though.

Also doing some single player Diablo II. I alternate between my late-game sorceress where I am mostly magic finding to find better stuff, and a twinked Bowazon which I am mostly done with nightmare difficulty.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

I was playing Minecraft, but yesterday I lost a full set of enchanted armor (with Mending!) while raiding an end city. I might sulk for a while now.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I've been playing chess. I'm not so good, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the game.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Chess reminds me of Counter-Strike in a way. It's fun to play with equally matched players. If your opponent is significantly less able you feel guilty and feel you need to go easy on them. If your opponent is significantly more able you don't have a chance unless they feel obliged to afford you the same dignity. It's a very skill based game. The best player will wipe the floor with an entire team if he's too many levels ahead. I've been on both sides of this enough times to recognize it. I know when I'm doing really well to appreciate that it isn't that I've suddenly gotten "gud", but that I'm playing against people that are either new or not having a good night. Even after a decade of Counter-Strike I have to catch myself calling hacker when it might just be somebody with a superior rig or getting lucky. Then again, sometimes it still is. :) I've also witnessed superhuman skill enough times to really question what kind of drugs they must be on to do it. I've even had hardcore drugs confirmed on a few occasions... Better players can teach you some tricks which can improve your own game, but it's never fun to see a bad KDR or to have no hope of your team winning.

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

Of course, how could I forget, I do chess tactics every day. I enjoy a good game.

I was playing Minecraft, but yesterday I lost a full set of enchanted armor (with Mending!) while raiding an end city. I might sulk for a while now.

You just reminded me that I ragequit MC a few months ago. I lost an inventory full of TOP tier items including a full set of armor with protection, unbreaking, respiration, water affinity, feather falling, thorns, and mending. I kept dying purely from lag (AT&T connection + poorly optimized netcode) I ended up dying offline. I threw an enderpearl in the safety of my own base and with lag began to take suffocation damage. I logged off before dying but someone logged on later and my stuff despawned (wherever that laggy enderpearl teleported me) The admin was less than helpful.

If anyone has an active server I could get into it again, but we can't spam animals since MC really wants to make sure everyone knows the exact coordinates of every animal at all times (even if they are so densely packed together they can't move -_- )

I was going to kill the Wither the next day since I had six skulls. The rage was real.

My chess.com profile is Felix-The-Ghost by the way, as is my PSN ID.

I didn't mention it but I have MC for PC, PS3, and PS4. The last version I played with the snapshot that introduced glazed terracotta. There's been several since then and it's looking really sexc :D

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

1   2   3 

Go to: