Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » [Easter Hack 2017] B.U.N.

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[Easter Hack 2017] B.U.N.
amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

My entry for easter hack 2017 is B.U.N. (Bunny's Unbelievable Narrative). It is an improved version of our entry for Speedhack 2015.

{"name":"Screenshot_from_2017-04-16_17-00-53_VeQbxSv.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/f\/1f6a2e276c915be808d33900d71ee66d.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/f\/1f6a2e276c915be808d33900d71ee66d"}Screenshot_from_2017-04-16_17-00-53_VeQbxSv.png

The main change since the original is that I massively expanded the storyline. The speedhack 2015 entry stops when you reach the moon. In the new version, the story is nowhere near finished at that point. The new storyline involves time travel, zombies and a laser beam.

Since Sunday I've already made a v2 with some improvements. I've linked the original v1 for historical interest, but please play the v2, it fixes a few annoyances and has an extra puzzle.

I've added a few extra puzzles to the story which I think are quite challenging. The storyline isn't always very logical, but I tried to provide enough hints so you can figure out what's going on. Give it a try. Do you think it's easy / tough / silly / interesting / confusing?

Links:

Linux binary (v2)
Windows binary (v2)
Easter Hack Logs

edit: removed source link. It doesn't compile out of the box anyway.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Neat concept for a game. I like the simple visuals; they remind me of the simple times of using computers in my youth. How nostalgic!

I have not finished the game yet, but I like it so far. This feels like it could last an hour or so--an impressive length for a hack game.

Some things I noticed:
- The rain sound only comes out of the left speaker on my laptop.
- The cat noise played again in the forest even though it was deserted.

Some suggestions:
- It would be convenient to be able to advance the text or speed up the scrolling.

Overall, nicely done. :)

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

You're right about the cat noise bug, I've fixed that for the next version.
And I can add a menu option to increase the scrolling speed by 50% or so.

Has anybody managed to finish it already?

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I played for about 35 minutes this morning, but haven't yet managed to finish it. None of the items I used are effective against Dr. F. I'll try again later today. I might need a hint though. :-X

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I noticed your debug libraries are named "allegro_color-debug-5", while mine are "allegro_color-debug" (no -5 suffix). Does anyone know why that is? Currently I'm building with make BUILD=RELEASE, so it's not a huge problem. Building the debug release results in missing library errors for the objects in twist5.

Anyway, I built in. Then...

BUN said:

al_init() failed

Yikes. I ran the binary:

Quote:

./BUN: /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4: version `CURL_OPENSSL_3' not found (required by ./BUN)

This game uses libcurl???

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Actually, the source version won't compile anyway, it's missing the twist5 engine. I had provided the link for the curious, but you won't be able to compile it out of the box.

For v1, I had accidentally left a curl dependency in (copy pasted makefile from another game). v2 doesn't depend on curl.

Please try the linux / windows binaries, because I want to know if they work out of the box. If you really really need to compile from source I can make a bundle with twist5, but it's going to cost me some extra time to put it together.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Thanks for responding! I tried the Linux binary, v2. Here's what I saw:

Quote:

Couldn't find FONT 'fixed_font'

I got a full screen of black. There was no apparent audio, and BUN would only close when externally forced (SIGTERM to running process). I worked around the above error by symlinking BUN to its parent directory, making "data/fixed_font.tga" a valid path. Now it's playing fine!

■ uname -srvmo
Linux 4.10.10-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Apr 12 18:50:28 CEST 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux
■ grep ALLEGRO_VERSION_STR include/allegro5/base.h
#define ALLEGRO_VERSION_STR      "5.2.3 (GIT)"

Side effect of not linking libcurl:

Quote:

Warning: invoked updatechecker without -DUSE_CURL flag

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Ok, you get that error if you invoke the binary from the wrong directory. i.e. if you do

cd bin
./BUN

Things go wrong. However, if you stay in the top level and simply run

bin/BUN

It goes fine.

I tried to make it easier by providing a shell script:

./bun.sh

The advantage of the shell script, is that it sets the current directory to the location of the script, so that you can invoke it from any location. i.e. you can do ~/some/path/bun.sh and it should still work.

However, if you choose to ignore the shell script then all bets are off. How can I make this foolproof, i.e. how can I make sure you run the shell script instead of the binary?

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

How can I make this foolproof, i.e. how can I make sure you run the shell script instead of the binary?

You underestimate my powers. :D

At last, the EasterHack 2017 playlist is complete! I am really liking your game. You filled it with goodies... kind of like an Easter basket! The bunny character is mysterious, frightening, and cute all at the same time.

video

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

@Gideon, thanks for creating that Video! I hope you don't mind I use it in my blog:

https://blog.helixsoft.nl/95/b-u-n-a-game-from-a-classic-genre/

Go to: