Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Another Trumpism: let's allow animals to be killed while hibernating.

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Another Trumpism: let's allow animals to be killed while hibernating.
GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

These laws are a failure, like the guys who proposed it, and the worst is the guy who rated them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/congress-officially-made-it-legal-to-kill-hibernating-bears_us_58e93960e4b05413bfe36c1b

Man, where are we going with things like that ? I'm asking myself more and more now the election there are coming.

Seeing what's happening to USA isn't funny as France is silly enough to be a few years later the one to make the same mistakes, every time.

Well, well. Ahem.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Uh... what does Congress have to do with Trump? Yeah, he signed it into law but that doesn't mean it's one of his platforms. Or are we gonna go over every law that Obama signed, that passed the senate and house?

That being said, I'll agree it's probably a stupid law. But with people blowing up children this week, I'm not to focused / worried about bears at the moment.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Also in fairness, it sounds like it was only banned by Obama and so they're essentially just undoing the law. I agree that it's stupid to allow slaughtering hibernating animals or to hunt them with a helicopter, but I think Trump is guilty of far worse things these days to be fretting over this.

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

It's better for a state to manage its wildlife than the federal government taking it over. Of course, Democrats are going to always knee-jerk with this kind of reaction to the rollback of government overreach.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Chris said:

Uh... what does Congress have to do with Trump? Yeah, he signed it into law but that doesn't mean it's one of his platforms.

He signed it. It does not matter if he proposed it or not, he could also have refused to sign it. But wait, since when does a president read what he approves ?

Plus his sons would not have been able to have fun killing animals for free in the Alaska.

now take a DTrump tone

"That would have been a pity. Really. Enormous mistake. So I did whatever a dad in command of the United States should have done, because duty was calling me. God told me I must do that. I signed that law for the sake of pure American children"

8-)

>:(>:(>:(

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

This should be a state issue anyway. Hunting hibernating bears is risky business; I imagine only subsistence hunters would benefit from this.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

"States rights" is often code for deregulation and discrimination, just like "choices" is code for privatization.

It sounds nice in theory, but it's terrible in practice.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

It sounds nice in theory, but it's terrible in practice.

You mean like communism? ;)

Substitute "state" with "District" or "region" and you have every other government on the planet. It must really suck to have a group of people nearby who represent your interests compared to the far off people living in Washington who don't give a crap about your state. Likewise with local (city) governments compared to state governments. What's wrong with having layers that represent and live near YOU, and HIGHER layers that override the lower layers when they make a corrupt decision? It's worked pretty damn well over the last couple of centuries compared to dozens (if not more) of countries that started a government only to collapse into a failed state.

Furthermore, states-rights is criticized by liberals, and yet they fail to realize that the law finding that says "state officers are not REQUIRED to aid federal officers" is the SOLE REASON we have sanctuary cities, and marijuana legalization (which is still illegal on a federal level... oops, forgot about that, eh?), and likely of other anti-federal stances that liberals love.

Liberals don't know what they want. ;D

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I've only seen flavors of state-capitalists claiming to be communist, like the USSR, or Venezuela. In all of these countries, the state owned the means of production, not the workers, and there were still social classes based on wealth.

I can call myself a horse, and pretend I am, but it doesn't change the fact I'm not a horse. Sadly, anti-horse groups will also propagate* the lie I'm a horse to push their agenda...

(I just realized I've been been misspelling 'propagate' in my behavior tree library. Find across files returns 160 instances... Should I follow the Allegro PALLETE/PALETTE route? ;D)

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

... I thought I was the only one who thought of major upheavels in terms of PALLETE/PALETTE.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

In my experience, the regional government representatives are equally self-serving as the federal level.

I actually seem to agree with Aaron on this. It sounds good in theory for the power to be regional, but I think that when their decisions have an impact on other regions it needs to move up the scale. I'm pretty sure all states and provinces aren't fenced off so the wildlife actually can move between them, and many species, bears and wolves included, have very large ranges. It's wrong to let a particular town, district, or state decide what happens to wildlife that is shared by all (let alone the reach of their ecological contributions). Instead, it should be a consensus by all those that share the wildlife to preserve them for the future (the worst case is obviously killing them all, or somehow altering their behavior).

Append:

That said, the way the Canadian parliament is supposed to work on paper is that all regions elect their own representative so even at the federal level you're supposed to have a regional representative looking out for you. The problem is that they quickly figured out how to game the system and formed "parties" to essentially ally together to get their own self-interests met. No longer do they serve the people, but instead serve the parties. If we could dismantle the parties we could return to a system where we are all better taken care of, but of course those in power would never agree to that. It just goes to show that government is broken by design.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

bamccaig said:

No longer do they serve the people, but instead serve the parties. If we could dismantle the parties we could return to a system where we are all better taken care of, but of course those in power would never agree to that. It just goes to show that government is broken by design.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance". Maybe you understand that better if you compare it to "computer security is an ongoing process, not an end result".

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

Barely read anything, but do you think maybe this has something to do with the whole "For every new bill we pass, we will remove two" ???

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance".

For freedom, we know, is a thing that we have to conquer afresh for ourselves, every day, like love; and we are always losing freedom, just as we are always losing love, because, after each victory we think we can now settle down and enjoy it without further struggle… The battle of freedom is never done, and the field never quiet.

- HENRY W. NEVINSON

Go to: