Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Free video editing software?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Free video editing software?
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I know we mentioned it before and last year I tried to figure out some FOSS solutions and ended up with bupkiss.

The only thing I've learned so far:

- Lightworks. DO NOT USE. Free version only works at 720. So enjoy editing 2005-era videos.

- Windows Movie Maker. No longer supported or officially available, so it's harder to get ON TOP OF the fact that's it's pretty crappy anyway.

I've been watching some YouTube videos on potential editors but they all look sketchy. Like, I don't want to spend hours learning something that I'm going to then find out it sucks (::Cough::lightworks::cough::).

[edit] I HATE THIS so much. Every time I watch a video, I see comments going "Yeah BUT, this software is limited by X". EVERY DAMN PACKAGE. Either can only work in ONE file format, or can't output above 1080p, or can't output... some other obvious X/Y/Z feature.

Even PAID software is limited. Check out (was Sony) Vegas Movie Studio comparison:

http://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-movie-studio/product-comparison/#productMenu

$50 version and you're still stuck with 10 video tracks or less. If I was younger, I'd be half tempted to start pirating again. ::) But I want to find software that I can then show OTHER people they can use. You can't just say "Hey guys, I use pirated software and you should too!"

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I assume you have checked out Blender's Video Editor? I've heard some good things about it, I think someone on this forum mentioned it not too long ago.

Also, apparently Video Lan has a video editing package now: http://www.videolan.org/vlmc/
That looks interesting. I don't know what formats and resolutions it's capable of though.

In the past (many years ago now) I've used Sony Vegas (which I acquired for free from a certain, unmentionable site)... However now I'd probably just buy the $70 license.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I tested it and it was confusing as hell.

I just got Davinch Resolve 12.5. It looks very promising.

Only "Free" limitations are no stereo 3-d, and no CUDA/multiple GPU, no noise reduction. All things most home people would never use. You can enter an invalid/fake e-mail to download it without spam.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

However, it can't load MKV files. (WTF?) On the bright side, I just realized that OBS now includes a built in remuxer for converting MKV to MP4 files. (Use MKV so a crash / reboot / hard-drive filled won't corrupt the unfinalized MP4 file. I learned this THE HARD WAY.)

One strange flaw I haven't found the fix for yet though: Setting say a 60 fps project. Add a 24 FPS file. It'll run super fast. However, if you set it to "playback" at 60 FPS, that doesn't help. Setting the speed lower doesn't help, it sounds deeper but still skips frames. The only forum post I found so far says "It's your fault for not using a professional workflow pipeline." (ala Have an intern convert all files to 60 fps first.) To which I went... WTF?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

$50 version and you're still stuck with 10 video tracks or less.

Is that Videopad? I use the free version of Videopad and it's good. Not brilliant, but good. When do you need more than 10 tracks?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I feel like we just discussed this a few weeks ago... I use OpenShot, which is free software. It isn't full of bells and whistles, but I haven't personally run into any limitations (not that I'm a big movie producer or anything). And, of course, best part is that it's actually free (libre) software so it's not going away anytime soon.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Go on Youtube and search for "Blender Video Editing", lots of tutorials out there.

I want to start using it myself as I love Blender for 3D, so I imagine the video editing is probably as good once you get a handle on how to use it. I usually search Youtube for tutorials on just about everything to help get me started.

Windows Movie Editor does suck. But if you're stuck using it, one thing I found that helped with it was to convert your video to WMV format before you load it into the editor. That greatly speeds things up and reduces problems with it. I use Format Factory (free) to convert to WMV (and any other format you wish). So I still use it, though I do want to get into Blender for videos more.

You could also just maybe ask around Youtube, see what others are using. Could be worth paying for the right package. I am considering it if Blender doesn't work out.

Here's a tutorial I found for Blender just with a quick search. There's tons of them out there...

Edit: I changed the video I was linking to. BORNCG does a ton of Blender tutorials on everything Blender can do, and he explains things quite nicely. I forgot to check his until after I posted this. He does a whole series on video editing which are amazing! (he also does great stuff on 3D and the Blender game engine) I highly recommend you watch his videos and give it a try.

video

The entire 11 video playlist.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLda3VoSoc_TQQYZfHuzWtEjh11OTEKXBK

(watching this myself now)

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

I am very happy using Blender with all my Youtube videos.

Avidemux is a useful utility as well. It can for example trim video and normalise audio without re-rendering the video data.

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Avidemux is a useful utility as well. It can for example trim video and normalise audio without re-rendering the video data.

Very nice! Loving Blender as well. I'll add Avidemux to my own tools as well.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Go to: