Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Your internet speed

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Your internet speed
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

{"name":"610832","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/c\/4c9143c15da36300e4e224e7289c0518.png","w":1362,"h":583,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/c\/4c9143c15da36300e4e224e7289c0518"}610832

The download actually seems high this time. Though I normally check with speedtest.net, I normally get ~20-25 down, but ~2 or 3 up. I think that's close to what I pay for, but Canadian prices somewhat suck. I pay about CAD$80 per month for this. The ping to speedof.me was also crap, but then again my finacee is also streaming right now. Normally my ping is more reasonable in about the 70 ms range.

fast.com said 28 mbps down. speedtest.net said 29 down, but only 0.75 up. All in all, pretty typical for my connection. It suits me most of the time. If I could afford more bandwidth I might go for it, but this is already unreasonable pricing IMO. Plus I have so many other wants that are out of reach that Internet ranks pretty low on my list of nexts.

Like many, I have canceled cable/TV. I also canceled home phone. Those each add about $50 and $20 respectively to my bill, and I don't really need either one. I canceled them both and that's how I "afford" my cell phone.

My phone usually sucks for data. Most of the time if I try to use the Web browser it just stalls constantly. It's probably not worth what I pay (another $80). That said, I tried speedof.me from my phone with wifi turned off. It seems I'm currently connected using LTE so that might explain the somewhat reasonable speeds of 13 mbps down and 2 mbps up. I wonder if it's a faked/fraud amount though because normally my phone is next to useless on mobile data.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Do you guys know about Fast.com?

I actually got twice the rating with fast.com

{"name":"fastcom.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/9\/0995c9746985f6839d7c9477fa37f5f2.png","w":818,"h":691,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/9\/0995c9746985f6839d7c9477fa37f5f2"}fastcom.png

How are so many people using such bad internet?

Try living on an island. ;)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

Try living on an island. ;)

You poor poor soul. :P

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

In the US outside of cities there is zero competition - you have to pick the one provider serving your area and pay whatever they ask for crappy service :(

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

someone972
Member #7,719
August 2006

I'm both jealous of all you people getting super fast speeds for less than I pay for 20 Mbps, and thankful that I actually can get even that fast. I don't think I could do 2.xx Mbps, especially with more than one person on the internet.

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why. -Unknown
I have recklessly set in motion a chain of events with the potential to so-drastically change the path of my life that I can only find it to be beautifully frightening.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I experienced 2 mbps with 3 people on wifi last week taking care of my aunt's house. It was horrible. I ended up having to replay a single player game because CS:GO was lagging too badly. But alas, that's still fun. :P

1   2 

Go to: