Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Your SYSTEMROOT or WINDIR environment variable is not set!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Your SYSTEMROOT or WINDIR environment variable is not set!
jabel7
Member #16,640
February 2017

Hello! I bought a book "Game programming all in one" 3er Edition, and I trying to install allegro 4.2 to use the code of book, in the instructions says write "make", but when I write "make" the terminal of Mac says "Your SYSTEMROOT or WINDIR environment variable is not set! " How I can fix the problem?
thanks.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Errrr, sounds like you're running a Windows makefile on Mac. Are you sure the book is compatible with Mac? Where did you get your copy of Allegro?

jabel7
Member #16,640
February 2017

Yes, the book is compatible with mac, linux and win2 and allegro comes with the CD in the book.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The other thing that I can say is that Allegro 4.2 is quite old nowadays. There's a 4.4 branch that is hardware accelerated, plus a completely different API called Allegro 5. Allegro 4 is quite popular so it's still possible to use it and love it, but you may want to upgrade to one of the newer releases.

If you do want to continue with Allegro 4 you may want to consider the wiki instructions for help installing it. Instead of using the source that came with the book, you could also seek out the latest 4.2.x or 4.4.x release and try to build that instead. I'm not sure which version would have shipped with the book, but it might be less stable anyway. In any case, the live instructions might be more reliable. It sounds like there is also the option to use "macports" for a binary install. Ultimately, the book should be compatible with any version of Allegro 4 you manage to install because the API didn't change.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

This book by chance?

I can tell you from experience that if you are going to be doing any sort of development on a mac you will definitely want to install XCode's command line tools and probably 'homebrew' as well.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Go to: