Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Once again bit by the "forgot to initialize" bug

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Once again bit by the "forgot to initialize" bug
Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

The code worked fine on one repo.

So I copied it over to a different repo, bit-for-bit it was exactly the same, and all of a sudden it doesn't work. An internal process was stopping prematurely.

It turns out I was aborting after checking the status of my FileDownloader.abort flag to see if the download should be aborted mid-transfer. Problem was that I had never set it true.

But a deeper problem was that I never initialized it. >:(

So I initialized it to false and it worked. :-/

Isn't there a compiler flag for that? >:(

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I don't know about compiler flags. But in theory gcc/clang should already have all they need to check for uninitialized values after the constructor... I suppose one problem is if you have several constructors and some initialize and some do not.

My solution is to run through valgrind once a day - as long as your test tries to access the uninitialized variable at runtime it will cause an error.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I mean, there's a flag that checks for the order of initialization:

src/gui/scaled_text.cpp:62:6: warning: field 'text' will be initialized after field 'font_color' [-Wreorder]

Surely there's a check that initialization occurred. :-/

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Clang's static analyzer may help catch uninitialized use, which does much deeper checking of code flow. Problem is, when the code is spread around a bunch of sources and called at different times, it's difficult to tell per source file if something will used without initialization. That's why most compilers will only warn for local variables that aren't passed by reference somewhere.

Other than that, it needs run-time checking, which valgrind will do.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I guess I should say "member is present in the initialization list", and not "initialization occurred" to be more correct.

--

Go to: