Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » 'Father of Pac-Man' Masaya Nakamura dies at 91 National Jan. 31, 2017 - 06:59A

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
'Father of Pac-Man' Masaya Nakamura dies at 91 National Jan. 31, 2017 - 06:59A
Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

First Edgar Vigdal in 2015 who made the Amiga Deluxe Pacman I based my first Deluxe Pacman off of (with his permission) and now this. :'(

https://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/father-of-pac-man-masaya-nakamura-dies-at-91

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Oh wow. Rest in peace. :'(

"The company did not release details about Nakamura’s death, citing the wishes of his family."

Considering he was 91, I'm guessing it was "death by old age". Pretty incredible to live that long.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

This is what came to mind when I heard about this...

video

I am still bothered by Edgar Vigdal's death. I didn't know about it until a year later and it really hit me hard for some reason. Perhaps because we were similar in spirit. Like many of the good people in here who just enjoy being creative, I don't know. Getting older and watching people you love and respect die off sucks.

---

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I'm a member of a Facebook group about Finnish pun jokes. Most news about dead celebrities I read from that group. Some of them are very short. Like "George Michael's Last Christmas".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Relevant?

{"name":"Pac_731b93_6153221.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/2\/02d16de373887bd080385b9c493d641a.jpg","w":600,"h":771,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/2\/02d16de373887bd080385b9c493d641a"}Pac_731b93_6153221.jpg

[EDIT]
Maybe that was in bad taste... In honor of Masaya Nakamura, I have purchased PAC-MAN 256 on Steam.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Eric Johnson, that's hilarious! :)

---

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Here's a great article about the history and gameplay mechanics of Pac-Man (on a less than great website, I know):

The Pac-Man Dossier

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

That is an excellent article. I've never heard of the web site. ;)

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

torhu said:

Here's a great article about the history and gameplay mechanics of Pac-Man (on a less than great website, I know):

Yeah, I read that a couple years ago and it is awesome! It gives every detail on the arcade game including bugs it had, how the ghosts logic worked. I used it and made my Deluxe Pacman 2 game use the same logic that the Arcade game used when in hard mode (with the bug in their logic fixed of course).

I think that is a must read for all programmers as it gives a really good insight on how to do these things. The ghost AI was especially interesting, given the limited hardware they had to work with. They even discussed some of the machine language from the machine which I found fascinating. I liked it enough that I saved the entire page to my computer for my own use. Except I copied it from the original website. The one at that link is actually a copy of the original page which was not on gamasutra.

---

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I kept looking for a "print" version of the page for local saving but couldn't find one. I suppose this is the original.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I kept looking for a "print" version of the page for local saving but couldn't find one. I suppose this [www.pacmandossier.com] is the original.

I believe that is the original.

---

Go to: