Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Will you participate to Global Game Jam 2017?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Will you participate to Global Game Jam 2017?
anto80
Member #3,230
February 2003

Will you participate? Will you intend you use Allegro?
I can answer YES to the two.
;)

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

There's a local GGJ Location at the local University here. I didn't even realize that it was this weekend so I probably won't be participating. I might drop by though.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

There's some meetup group doing GGJ in the building next to my office, so I'll walk over after work I think. If I end up in a group where I'm doing all the coding I might use Allegro - but also wouldn't mind learning some Unity maybe, I've been meaning to try that for many years now.

My social skills have been deteriorating in the last years though after moving to Columbus and not knowing anyone. So I might just stand around and not talk to anyone for a bit then leave again :P

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

For me not this year. I did it last year and there were a lot of enthusiastic game developers - most of them familiar with Unity, Game Maker and the like. I'm participating in my own 3 month full-immersion-Ruby adventure. Maybe I'll do it next year.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

bamccaig said:

I don't like going because it reminds me utterly unfocused I am. :-/

Apparently unfocused enough to not type all the words in your sentences.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

My GGJ has been fun so far. They skipped the annoying group finding phase and just assigned everyone to a random group so I was not left without a group :) But it's rather disorganized, they only had their place for Friday evening so everyone disbanded afterwards and I basically only got to meet the people from my group and we're making the game at one of their homes.

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

anto80
Member #3,230
February 2003

Elias said:

My GGJ has been fun so far. They skipped the annoying group finding phase and just assigned everyone to a random group so I was not left without a group :) But it's rather disorganized, they only had their place for Friday evening so everyone disbanded afterwards and I basically only got to meet the people from my group and we're making the game at one of their homes.

Just WOW.

Here ( http://globalgamejam.org/2017/jam-sites/ionis-campus ) it's organized by 2 tech schools. Consequently the very large majority of the jammers are from these 2 schools and are taking part, having their teams already made. Too bad!

The project I'll send is a mix between "Missile Command" and "Rez". I'm doing all the design and dev; and another guy made the music and sound (a very cool one)! 8-)

Here there are only 2 sound designers out of more than 80 jammers. :o

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

anto80 said:

Here there are only 2 sound designers out of more than 80 jammers. :o

Woah, really? I'm thinking next year I should do sound / music.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Now after two nights with <4 hours of sleep and some serious caffeine overdose... I do wish I wouldn't have to work tomorrow. But the game is done and I accomplished something, so would do it again :)

--

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

That's awesome that you Game Jamed this year, Elias! Were you the only dev on your team?

--

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

No. I think we had 25 software devs, 3 game designers, 2 artists and 0 musicians (one actually would have shown up a day late but not sure if he found a team since the location was closed). So most teams had 3 or 4 devs. I spent most of the time figuring out how to implement various things in Unity's MonoBehaviour derived classes :) Also, Unity crashed every 15 minutes or so, I still don't understand why anyone would use it for anything :P

--

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

That's a lot of devs for a devs-to-designer ratio :o

Elias said:

Also, Unity crashed every 15 minutes or so

Ugh! >:(

--

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

anto80 said:

Will you participate? Will you intend you use Allegro?

No. No.

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

anto80
Member #3,230
February 2003

Here's the stuff => https://youtu.be/i5j_bX3jP7c
http://globalgamejam.org/2017/games/rsd-rect-sync-defense
Made with Allegro 5 ;)

Elias said:

Unity crashed every 15 minutes or so, I still don't understand why anyone would use it for anything

That's because Unity is very good at being a sponsor and spreading the word for non-devs people. Unity tools remain very powerful and make things happen when you don't want to code a lot and/or reinvent the wheel.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I dislike Unity. In fact, I dislike whenever I have a fucking two hundred MBs framework to download for a pesky gold miner game.

Anyway great entry Anto, I particularly like the way the screen move when there is a hit.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

Unity is great if you don't want to waste your life building engine after engine and not really finishing a game :)

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I finish games. People who aren't finishing games with engines will not finish one with Unity Engine too.
Finishing is a matter of spirit, not engine.
8-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Amen, Gull.

I didn't realize there were a few accessible locations for me this year. I'll try to remember when next year rolls around... That reminds me. I am in need of a good calendar program for the PC (not phone).

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Google calendar is really good. I've tried a few others but that one seems to work better overall.

--

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Holy heck, and it's Gmail-integrated. As a bonus, Google already knows everything about me, so I'm not technically sacrificing privacy. 8-)

Go to: