Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » I bought a bluetooth keyboard

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
I bought a bluetooth keyboard
Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I bought a Wintop KB-702. Seems to work very well for a 20 € keyboard. The physical layout is Finnish and I had to fix a corresponding setting in my phone. After that it works ike a charm. I'm writing this on the keyboard and my phone.
My idea is to test this keyboard on my Android tablets and start coding on them. Coding using a tablet touch screen keyboard is a pain. But this works. Stuff like arrow keys works nice, even combined with control key.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Nice! I was considering grabbing a keyboard for my Android tablet as well.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

But why do you prefer coding on a tablet instead of a laptop?

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Sure I'd use a laptop if I really would get deep into programming for Android tablets. This is only a start. And I don't even know if it's possible to really develop apps using only tools on tablets. So far I've only managed to write simple c/c++ programs, which run in a text cosole.

I didn't buy this keyboard only for coding. I (DEMO VERSION!)intend to do other stuff, too. One drawback (DEMO VERSION!) I discovered. The keyboard has no < and >. I could always set another keboard layout in my tablet, but then I'd miss Å, Ä and Ö. And other keys (DEMO VERSION!) would be missplaced. So I downloaded this demo app, with which I can remap keys. I'm using t right now, that's why those DEMO words appear in everything I write. 20 € wasn't much for this keyboard, but I still search for a free tool with which I could include < and > in the keyboard map. The manufacturer ought to have such a tool.

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

That's a (DEMO VERSION!) joke, right?

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Haha. amarillion wins.
(DEMO VERSION)!
;D

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

We bought a Logitech cover with a keyboard built in for our Android tablet. It's a pain to type on, but still better than the touchscreen. Miranda used it to complete her college program (insisted on having one because my EeePC wasn't good enough somehow and her laptop was "too big") and it hasn't seen much use since (except for pr0n). Maybe when Lightseekers is released it'll inspire me to keep the tablet battery charged up instead of letting it die.

I feel inclined to point out that I never had any sort of mobile computing device when I was in college and I was in a computer programming program! I just used one of the computers in nearly every classroom. To be fair, I guess there was a computer in nearly every one of my classrooms because I was in computer programming, but I digress. I don't think she used it to take notes during class.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

It wasn't a joke. That DEMO VERSION text really came up on its own, when I was typing. And it only did it here on a.cc. Later I bought the full version, 2.99 €, and got rid of the annoyance.
I also bought C4droid, an IDE for writing C/C++ on an Android tablet. It appears to be a tool for not only making simple text console stuff, but also SDL or Qt apps. Right now I'm learning SDL by rewriting a Christmashack game from 2003 (!).

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

No xmodmap command on Android, I take it? It sure beats DEMO hiccups.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I think xmodmap is depreciated. It really pissed me off because Ubuntu destroyed the only easy way to reconfigure keys without editing HUGE keyboard layout files with confusing syntax, no tutorials, and GUESS WHAT! You have to reboot to apply changes and if you mess it up? You're computer is bricked because you can't enter your password anymore.

For sure, you can't configure ALT, CONTROL, and META with xmodmap anymore on my Ubuntu 14. It only supports normal and SHIFT modifiers.

So your laptop doesn't have page up/page down, and you want to bind META + up/down arrows to page up and down? TOO BAD. I tried like three different days, spending WAY too much time, for zero success.

Ubuntu sure loves to crap all over disabled people. >:( "YOU SHALL. NOT. RECONFIGURE from our divine GUI decisions.'

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Sounds more like Ubuntu loves disabled people so much, it decided to create even more of them.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

ahahahah

And so systemd was birthed into existence.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Go to: